Brews for New Avenues 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyarrowhead

Reaction score
Brought to you by the Ambassador Board of New Avenues for Youth, the third annual Brews for New Avenues features Portland's only live rare beer auction, special craft beer keg tappings, chocolate stout beer floats, food carts, live music, raffles of numerous beer-centric items, and more. All proceeds go to New Avenues for Youth's programs that help Portland's homeless and at-risk youth.

When: Saturday, September 6th, 2014
Where: The Leftbank Annex, Portland, OR

GENERAL ADMISSION:
5pm - 10:30pm
$10 entry
Entry includes one beer (two if you register online before August 1st) and a commemorative mug.
-Access to Portland's only live auction of extremely rare beers
-Special craft beer keg tappings
-Chocolate stout beer floats
-Wall of beer! Walk away with a special bottle to take home
-Live music from The Sentiments, The Get Ahead
-Food carts: The People's Pig and Pulehu Pizza
-Raffles for beer-centric items from all over Portland
-Free root beer floats for designated drivers

Visit http://brewsfornewavenues.org/ for full details and General Admission tickets (beginning 7/1).

--Note: online ticket sales end at 11:59pm on Friday 8/1. After that, you can pay for general admission entry at the door--

VIP Pre-Event:
2pm - 5pm
$50 entry
Only 100 tickets available
Exclusive specialty beers & food
Silent craft beer auction
Commemorative tulip glass
A very limited amount of VIP tickets remain.

Follow @BrewsforNewAves on Twitter as we annouce the kegs for 2014

Kegs annouced so far include: Cantillon (Iris), Sixpoint (Three Bean), Cascade (Frites Galois), Brouwerij de Molen (Tsarina Esra Imperial Porter), Rooie Dop (Utrecht Strong Ale), Freigeist (Hibiskuss), Adnams (Broadside), and De Struise Brouwers (Imperialist), Gueuze (Tilquin - draft version), Mikkeller (Palisade Single Hop IPA), De Witte Leeuw (Amarillo Sun).

Auction Lots will include special bottles, releases and packages from:
Hair of the Dog (Dave), AleSmith (Speedway variant set signed by the brewer), Crooked Stave, de Garde (large format bottles), The Commons, The Alchemist, Russian River, Cantillon and more to be announced.

BFNA 2014 will also include:
Live Music from The Get Ahead and The Sentiments, Food Carts (Pulehu Pizza, The People's Pig and others), chocolate stout beer floats, a bigger and better Wall of Beer, raffles and much more.

ABOUT NEW AVENUES FOR YOUTH:
Since 1997, New Avenues for Youth has offered programs and services that empower homeless youth to exit street life. New Avenues believes that every young person should have food, shelter, and access to education and job training. New Avenues for Youth's mission is to work in partnership with the Portland community to prevent youth homelessness and provide homeless and at-risk young people with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives.

Last edited:
Small correction:

"Note: online ticket sales end at 11:59pm on Friday 8/1. After that, you can pay for general admission entry at the door--"

NOT TRUE, mistake in the post, sorry:)

a bit of an update for you all

Live Auction items:

Hair of the Dog – Dave
Alesmith – Speedway stout variant set
Cantillon – Gueuzestraminer (never been released)
+ a few more interesting things

Kegs thus far, more tba:

Cascade: Frite Galois and Honey Ginger Lime
Block 15: TBD
Upright: Engelberg Pils + TBD
The Commons: Myrtle + TBD
Deschutes: TBD
De Garde: 1 Berliner and 1 Wild ale, both TBD
Pfreim: TBD
De Molen: Tsarina Esra Imperial Porter
Cantillon: Iris
Freigeist: Hibiskus
Rooie Dop: Utrecht Strong Ale
Logsdon: TBD
De Struise: Imperialist
Adnams: Broadise
Tilquin: Gueuze
Mikkeller: Pallisade single hop
Sint Christofel: Nobel Braming Cross
De Witte Leeuw: Amarillo Sun
Victory: TBD
Solera: TBD
Six Point: Three Beans
Gravity: TBD
North Coast: TBD
Firestone Walker: Pale 31
Meteorite: TBD
Reverend Nats: TBD

hey all, i may have to miss this event due to work. if anyone is interested in doing a $4$ swap with the upcoming De Garde Marion and Apricot Bu bottles for a VIP ticket, shoot me a line.

I'm nervous about sharing the link to my work email group because I know how very unprofessionally drunk I will be.

Yeah having seen the keg list I can't see how I'm going to be sober enough to bid on anything sensibly come the live auction. Heck, at least there's a small chance of sobriety for the silent one...

Last edited:
I started a separate thread for this, but I'll post it here as well to give folks following this thread a chance to see it:

We have a handful of tickets left for the Brews for New Avenues dinner with Paul Kasten (Wildwood) and Hair of the Dog at Fenrir this Thursday. Here is the menu:

russet potato gnocchi
guanciale, succotash, crème fraîche, cilantro
blue dot

smoked country pâté
pickled cherry, semolina cracker
cherry lila

roasted lamb leg
lamb cassoulet, salsa verde
fred from the wood

seared oregon albacore
crispy shallot, microgreens, green curry aïoli
little dog light

apple-smoked corn cake
brandy-adam anglaise
matt

The cost is $75 per person and all proceeds benefit New Avenues for Youth. Tickets can be purchased here.

Also, as we obviously hope you'll get buzzed enough to open your wallets wider than normal for a great cause and take home some delicious beers, if you don't have a designated driver, please use public transportation (the max, streetcar, and bus are readily available) or take a cab to/from the event if at all possible. Street parking around the Leftbank Annex is limited, and while we are trying to negotiate garage use with the Rose Garden so people could conceivably leave cars there overnight, there is literally a circus in town, so that might not be possible.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon!

a bit of an update for you all

Live Auction items:

Hair of the Dog – Dave
Alesmith – Speedway stout variant set
Cantillon – Gueuzestraminer (never been released)
+ a few more interesting things

Kegs thus far, more tba:

Cascade: Frite Galois and Honey Ginger Lime
Block 15: TBD
Upright: Engelberg Pils + TBD
The Commons: Myrtle + TBD
Deschutes: TBD
De Garde: 1 Berliner and 1 Wild ale, both TBD
Pfreim: TBD
De Molen: Tsarina Esra Imperial Porter
Cantillon: Iris
Freigeist: Hibiskus
Rooie Dop: Utrecht Strong Ale
Logsdon: TBD
De Struise: Imperialist
Adnams: Broadise
Tilquin: Gueuze
Mikkeller: Pallisade single hop
Sint Christofel: Nobel Braming Cross
De Witte Leeuw: Amarillo Sun
Victory: TBD
Solera: TBD
Six Point: Three Beans
Gravity: TBD
North Coast: TBD
Firestone Walker: Pale 31
Meteorite: TBD
Reverend Nats: TBD

My tummy is going to hurt quite a bit on Sunday morning. Likely my wallet as well. Can't wait.

bart-scott-can-t-wait-o.gif

Yeah having seen the keg list I can't see how I'm going to be sober enough to bid on anything sensibly come the live auction. Heck, at least there's a small chance of sobriety for the silent one...

Even the cider sounds like something I want to try. And I have my eye on 3 different auction lots. Yeah, Sunday is going to be rough. For charity.

Just out of curiosity, is there a list of what everything sold for? The live auction items are what I'm especially interested in.

Just out of curiosity, is there a list of what everything sold for? The live auction items are what I'm especially interested in.

Just from [hazy] memory, Gueuzestraminer went for $1800 after a lengthy and intense bidding war, Dave for $1400 or $1500, Black Raz Bu 3L for $600. I have a shitty video of the end of the Gueuzestraminer auction that I'll post a bit later.

Just from [hazy] memory, Gueuzestraminer went for $1800 after a lengthy and intense bidding war, Dave for $1400 or $1500, Black Raz Bu 3L for $600. I have a shitty video of the end of the Gueuzestraminer auction that I'll post a bit later.
That Gueuzestraminer auction was pure insanity! Huge thanks to the organizers and volunteers that helped create the best event in PDX all year, you guys are awesome!

You are all amazing!!!

Thanks so much for the support! Hope you all enjoyed the new space and the extended beer list. With your help the event is only going to grow. More importantly, the awareness for New Avenues and the necessity to empower homeless and at risk youth.

Thanks again, you all are wonderful!!

Cheers
Don

Ps a special thanks to Carl from Belmont for saving our taps!!!

Preliminary totals are in. :: drumroll ::

All of you fine folks helped us raise over $36,000 for homeless and at-risk youth in Portland!!!

We still have a few things being calculated, but that far exceedes our $30k goal for this year and is a 50% increase from the $24,000 we raised last year!

THANK YOU!

So it got hung up in customs and didn't arrive until today, but that just means we already have next year's BFNA marquee item:

sylMPIr.jpg

The Geuze Society in Pajottenland has a yearly blending day where they taste lambics and create a Geuze. The Geuze van 't Kasteel 750ml we auctioned off on Saturday was the 2010 blend. This is the first blend the society ever created in 2008. Magnum #5 of 15. More info here.

Latest posts

Back