Buying a Cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by drinkdrankdrunk, Aug 14, 2016.

1. drinkdrankdrunk

drinkdrankdrunk

Hello,

New here but I just made an account on here to pose these couple questions:

Anyone ever bought someone's entire beer cellar?

If so, what was the experience like? How did you determine value and come up with a figure?

I ask because I ran into a fella looking to unload much of his cellar and I have never been good at holding on to beers for long enough to cellar anything so I am considering building a cellar this way. There are about 150-175 bottles (there are a lot of Hill Farmstead and the rest consist of a few Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Tired Hands, Bruery, Casey, BCBS, SARA, and so on). Unsure how to approach making an offer. I assume I cannot afford to buy them all especiallu based on what secondary market values I can locate.

Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to PM rather than post in the thread even if you only want to hurl abuse or give me crap for for being a new kid.

Cheers!

Photekut likes this.
  2. preluderl

preluderl

Well if he's going to expect secondary on everything he has he's smoking crack. If you get one person to take your entire cellar off your hands, you're going to expect to take a hit to compensate for not having to make multiple transactions.

Also, you'd need to determine how much of that stuff is "shelf beer" vs something that's limited. Obviously an HF Ann is going to be significantly more valuable than a plain ole' shelfie Arthur.

I'd get a bottle list, look at how many of the bottles are of the more "limited" variety, and then try to formulate an "average per bottle" price for the whole lot.

KevSal likes this.
  3. 2plums4one

2plums4one

list the bottles here, and get input.

4. GetchaPull

GetchaPull

5. preluderl

preluderl

[​IMG]

Kirkse, mateoloco and tikk like this.
  6. Ryan_G

Ryan_G

7. IndianaJones

IndianaJones Previously FLBeerFan

Came here expecting buying someone's basement for things like saving beer and BDSM time with Master Bob.

[​IMG]
    Am disappoint.

8. jivex5k

jivex5k

I bought a cellar once. Couldn't figure out how to ship it though, every time we tried to dig it out of the basement it just kept getting bigger. Ended up getting a refund.

9. raqnroll

raqnroll

Are you close enough to pick this up? Shipping 12-15 cases suks. I would only entertain purchasing a full cellar if I intended to pick up the product.

Welcome to the board

10. coldstorage

coldstorage

Dude he's trying to sell you old beer get out of there ASAP.

11. Thevicster

Thevicster

FTFY. Knowinig who the seller is will go a long way in figuring out if he is a well known douchenozzle or not who's trying to rip the OP off

2plums4one likes this.