Whiskey can we talk about whiskey?

Discussion in 'Whiskey, Wine & Other Booze' started by backfat, Apr 13, 2013.

1. dsigmon

dsigmon

I think '17's GTS, being lower proof than normal, was one of the better GTS offerings in recent memory. Absolutely delicious neat with no need to add water. I'm hoping the same for this year.

mattchow, Digita7693, jammery and 3 others like this.
  2. IndianaJones

IndianaJones

I agree, I much prefer '17 GTS to some of the hazmat proof bottlings from the previous years

dsigmon likes this.
  3. Max

Max

all these are up on fwgs, if anyone wants to, you know, not enter so I have a better chance this year. been oh-fer for quite some time now.

beerinnv, stakem and MikeG like this.
  4. stakem

stakem

$110 pretax and shipping. Is it wrong that I dont even want to enter for myself? I mean, id love to finally get a taste of the ER17 but considering only 12 bottles are gonna be “won” for the entire state, chances are grim.

In the last 2-3 years of sipping/sampling different whiskeys, im yet to enjoy something more than the ~$35 I spent on SAOS rye. Wish I woulda bought more of that stuff...

5. boutbeer

boutbeer

ER17 has been mediocre every time I've tried it (usually at a bar). This year it will be 5.5% more mediocre.

Last year, a guy gave me $130 for my last bottle of SAOS rye. $130 for SAOS rye! I mean, it was a great rye for the $40 I paid in 2014, but $130 is just crazy town. Then I remembered Kentucky Owl..........

CheapBeerBuzz, MikeG and stakem like this.
  6. dsigmon

dsigmon

I'd pay $110 for GTS, THH, or WLW any day of the week without blinking an eye.

JBPortland, Max, Digita7693 and 5 others like this.
  7. Max

Max

I'm with you there. kicking myself for sure. post was for information purposes only. I swear I didn't enter either :rolleyes:

stakem likes this.
  8. stakem

stakem

I had more than 1 person private message me saying to stop being a douche bag and enter. So im in. yay? lol

jammery, Moondog, Max and 1 other person like this.
  9. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

My dumbass county regulates liquor sales and they recently received their allocation of 22 bottles of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.

The store that handled OFBB sales is just two blocks from me and they said they had folks lining up midnight before. The 22nd person lined up at 4:30am. Store didn’t open until 10am.

I guess I was naive in thinking that people really only line up overnight for Pappy and BTAC. Anyone know how many bottles of OFBB there were?

Tlo4sho, PrinceCasual and MooseLang like this.
  10. MooseLang

MooseLang

I got OFBB at Mt Airy Liquors a few years ago, just as I was passing through. It was decent, but probably not even worth the $80 that I paid at the time.

Is OFBB even more limited now, or just whiskey continuing to get more popular?

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  11. sherm1016

sherm1016

It's .rar

Also, the "quality" varies year to year. I had a 2015 bottle that I really enjoyed for $70 or so. I've heard that some years it has been somewhat mediocre.

Pouring from that stupid bottle sucks.

lambandtunaphish and MooseLang like this.
  12. MikeG

MikeG

Heading that this year's OFBB is badddd.

13. dsigmon

dsigmon

There was a lot less of OFBB this year than typical. MikeG is right, it isn't good either. I guess people are lining up to flip them for the $300-350 they're going for on the secondary though. You know people have to keep their verticals going.

PHBoiler, Beerontwowheels and MikeG like this.
  14. auracom

auracom

OFBB is arguably the prime textbook case study in bourbon idiocy.

Just buy fucking Turkey 101.

PHBoiler, davey101, Tlo4sho and 7 others like this.
  15. MikeG

MikeG

I think it was 2013 or 2014 OFBB that I loved. Had an insane nose. Was lucky enough to stumble into multiples of each for retail back in the day. Truth is, it's a fucking 12 year proofed down bourbon that has a nice fancy bottle but that's it. Same with the new chasing of MGP-sourced (and sometimes owned) brands like New Riff, etc

16. stakem

stakem

Tell me more. Im 99% certain I have a bottle of 2014 in the cabinet that never got opened. It was one of those rediculously rare purchases of mine where I just happen to be standing in a PA liquor store and saw it on the shelf and remembered it being something I saw people on here talking about. I remember not opening it cuz I had too many other partial bottles open and then I totally forgotten about it until right now.

Tlo4sho, gameover170, sfsea and 4 others like this.
  17. MikeG

MikeG

Like I said, nose is incredible. Taste not as incredible but still nice. I would open and then send me a sample asap

Tlo4sho, gameover170, Max and 2 others like this.
  18. boutbeer

boutbeer

The only two bourbons I will wait in line for are GTS and WLW. Everything else is overrated.

19. Espeer

Espeer

Agreed. There's nothing else I've had like it. I bought 1 bottle and then bought 3 more once I tasted it. This was right before they got hard to buy. Like 2014 or 2015. Haven't had any other year because if it's not on the shelf for normal price I don't buy it.

gameover170 likes this.
  20. stakem

stakem

Sunday I drank a ~12oz snifter full of 4 roses single barrel. Not a special store pic or anything, just a bottle I plucked from the shelf cuz why not.

This might have been my first taste of whiskey since probably last year this time when I had quite a session with my father in law around a fire.

That 12oz went down like a greased fatty on a water park slide. Sweet jesus. Not totally sure how many more pours I had after that initial one but I found the mostly empty bottle in a cabinet above our washing machine along with an opened bag of smores chips ahoy cookies and doritos.

Apparently, when I abstain from bourbon for a year and get a little sauce in me I revert to a teenager stoner’s appetite and pretend our wash room is the kitchen.

NRCards, cornboy, sacrelicio and 23 others like this.