Cape Cod from Bourne to Ptown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timos1

Reaction score
Hello fellow Enthusiasts, My Fiance and I are headed to the Cape after we tie the knot this weekend. We will be staying in Ptown a couple nights and a bunch of other places road trip style. Any input into some great places to indulge our beery thirsty post nuptial palates would be greatly appreciated. TIA

-Tim

We got back a couple days ago...P town is just not a great place for beer. We ended up drinking alot of champagne. The Noreast Beer Garden was a complete bust. The staff must have been beat from the summer or something. They basically may as well have been closed. In fact, the manager informed my wife they would not be serving me (no reason given) after waiting for a beer from the cellar for about 15 minutes while my wife sipped on an 18 dollar cocktail. I got 3 oysters that were barely acceptable in terms of freshness with some **** grocery store cocktail sauce. Yup wont be going back there ever. Complete snobbery and shitty service. Also what the list on their website they most certainly do not have.

On the other hand, the only place I could find with some decent french and belgian imports was pain d'avignon in Hyannis. It is right near the airport. It is just a little cafe off of a bakery. The food was exceptional , great coffee and a small but very good selection of beer. The bartenders accent was a good try but she slipped up a couple times. amusing and charming. Fake accents must be a thing on the Cape I guess. I had a castellain and allagash curieux. both excellent.

British Beer Company in Sandwich was nice too. I had the Allagash Confluence which I really enjoyed.

Yeah allagash was really the only brewery offering anything new to me. I gotta say that its worth picking up a Mayflower mix pack. Well balanced beers with a little more complexity than i would have guessed.

We got back a couple days ago...P town is just not a great place for beer. We ended up drinking alot of champagne. The Noreast Beer Garden was a complete bust. The staff must have been beat from the summer or something. They basically may as well have been closed. In fact, the manager informed my wife they would not be serving me (no reason given) after waiting for a beer from the cellar for about 15 minutes while my wife sipped on an 18 dollar cocktail. I got 3 oysters that were barely acceptable in terms of freshness with some **** grocery store cocktail sauce. Yup wont be going back there ever. Complete snobbery and shitty service. Also what the list on their website they most certainly do not have.

On the other hand, the only place I could find with some decent french and belgian imports was pain d'avignon in Hyannis. It is right near the airport. It is just a little cafe off of a bakery. The food was exceptional , great coffee and a small but very good selection of beer. The bartenders accent was a good try but she slipped up a couple times. amusing and charming. Fake accents must be a thing on the Cape I guess. I had a castellain and allagash curieux. both excellent.

British Beer Company in Sandwich was nice too. I had the Allagash Confluence which I really enjoyed.

Yeah allagash was really the only brewery offering anything new to me. I gotta say that its worth picking up a Mayflower mix pack. Well balanced beers with a little more complexity than i would have guessed.
I had the same issue this summer at Nor'East Beer Garden when go wtih my fiancee and her family. Went last year and loved it. We waited close to 2 and a half hours for food, and the person serving us took forever. Also the food was a massive let down. Paid $14 for a meat and cheese plate with two small pieces of meat, and few pieces of cheese.Was always talking with someone else on the staff. And it's a small place, the service needs to get better. Loved the beers, but was so frustrated by the staff, I won't be going back as well. Next time your up there, try the Squealing Pig a few blocks down from Lobster Pot. Always has some decent options on draft and in bottles, and the staff works so much more smoothly. Plus the food is tasty and well priced for Ptown.

Impax Id like to hear your suggestions.
Sorry to get back to you months late. Been tied up with many things, and haven't been able to be on here as much as I like to. Actually, it's my first time on since I posted that.

There are only a few decent bars for beer on the Cape. The BBC in Sandwich, which you went to is one of them. Good food, and depending on the night good beer selection. The other BBC's around the Cape are also good. Flynn's in Sagamore has around 40 taps. Never seen anything stand out there, but its a fun place to go to. The Red Nun opened another location in Dennis Port this summer. It has some nice options, but nothing standout. It is right next-door to Auntie's ice cream, which has awesome ice cream.

Cape Cod Beer is the only brewery on Cape, and is worth the visit. They have been brewing a bigger variety of beers in the last year or so. You can growler fills and bottles to go, but you can get almost everything they have there at a liquor store. Speaking of liquor stores there is really only one I go to now, which is Moonshine Liquors in Hyannis. They have really stepped up the game here on the Cape. Alex, the beer manager is a really nice guy and loves beer. He's always trying to get new things in the store that the Cape normally never gets. Cranberry Liquors in Harwich is also nice, but in the last half year or so Moonshine has surpassed them drastically in terms of quality and overall selection. There are a few other decent stores around the Cape, which are nice but they don't even come close to Moonshine in my opinion. Even Kappy's, which used to be the place to go has fallen behind.

Never buy Oysters in the summer. October through December are the best time to eat them.

Last edited:
Back