Cellar advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyNC1

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Was hoping to get some sound advice from people who have been doing this far longer than me. For Christmas I am converting a closet in a spare bedroom int my beer cellar. My collection has been growing over the past few months and it is taking over the pantry in my kitchen. My wife tells me pantries are for food and not beer ( who knew), thus we are having to move it. Unfortunately I don't have a basement so this closet is the best spot. My concern is keeping the the temperature in there. The room is one of the cooler rooms in the house as it doesn't get much sunlight and I have added black drapes to the window to drown out any that does get through. We keep our thermostat at around 68 most months. My fear is that I am not keeping my beers cool enough and I don't want to ruin beers trying to age them. What is your advice for keeping that closet cool without breaking the bank. Is this possible or should I just drink and trade more and not attempt trying to age any?

What are you looking to get out of aging? What kinds of beers are you aging? 68 isn't really in the worry zone for short-term storage (that's over 70), but it's getting there, and I'd be surprised if you're cooling down to 68 in the summer. You could get a thermometer and check the temperature in there a few times a day and see what it looks like.

I'm basically just want to see how the beers change taste wise over time. I have acquired some older beers through trades and would like to sit on them a little longer and I am want to do a vertical of a few differnt beers at some point as well. There are a few bottles I want to keep for just special occasions but I don't want to kill the beer.

How many bottles does that come to? If it's something small you could consider getting a wine fridge. Look a craigslist, they come up occasionally and sometimes you can get stupid good deals (schwartzoid's still makes me jealous to think about). Normal retail prices are ~$4/bottle, IIRC. You may have to do some construction but not always (I just took the shelves out for mine and it works great). Then the stuff you're not aging for >1 year can go in the closet, if it stays around 68 off flavors definitely won't develop in a year. Well, unless they were going to anyway, that temp might accelerate some bad processes but probably not many and not by a lot.

All this plus fairly cliche but probably true adages:
--if you haven't had a beer fresh before then don't age it. Drink it and then get another to age
--most beers don't improve with age, there are a few notable exceptions
--if you do end up acquiring a big vertical you may end up (like me) with 10 years worth of Bigfoot and no good time to drink 120oz of barleywine and be able to appreciate any differences (I know, I know do a tasting already)

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking of getting a wine cooler and keeping the rest in the closet

All this plus fairly cliche but probably true adages:
--if you haven't had a beer fresh before then don't age it. Drink it and then get another to age
--most beers don't improve with age, there are a few notable exceptions
--if you do end up acquiring a big vertical you may end up (like me) with 10 years worth of Bigfoot and no good time to drink 120oz of barleywine and be able to appreciate any differences (I know, I know do a tasting already)
This. I've been messing with a few things over the years and the only thing I really care to age now is lambic and bourbon county since it doesn't change too drastically over time. I've found very few things actually improve. It is fun to experiment though. I wouldn't worry about temperature or variables too much if it's gonna be consumed within a year or two especially if you're aging big abv stuff. If anything the higher temperature will speed up the aging process giving you quicker results.

My only tip is dint just age any beer just to age it. I did that with quite a few bigger beers because I thought "hey these will age well!" Some actually did but most weren't anything special.

Now, pretty much the only thing I have in my cellar is lambic and in my experience, most age really well.

My advice is that your closet will work well for now. I would also recommend not trying to age a ton of different beers. id find a few beers that you like and also do some reading on beers that age well and go in that direction. Some of the beers I like to age:

Stout:
BCBS
founders Imperial Stout
Bells black note

Old Ale/Barleywine
North coast old stock
Doggie claws
Bruery anniversary Beers

Lambic:
All the lambic

I'm sure that I'm forgetting some great barleywines but you get the idea. Also, I don't really care to age barrel aged beers (other than bcbs).

Enjoy the hobby.

Expedition Stout, Founders Imperial Stout and World Wide Stout are the only stouts I would consider long term aging. I have aged enough big stouts to no longer consider it worth the cost of pouring beer down the drain.

Edit: also just drink them all.

Thanks for all the good advice. I should find out in the next day if I will be getting a wine cooler for Christmas. I think at first Im going to experiment around with some. I do like the suggestion of just drinking them though. If I need help do you of anybody that could come drink all this beer I have

Latest posts

Back