Cellar Beer Reviews: October

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleywinefiend

Reaction score
10726366_10152778529639919_164181033_n.jpg

This thing is going the distance and drinking amazingly great.

Not sure if the 2010 pannepot reserva counts but it is drinking fantastic.

S- Oak, raisin, plum, bit o' booze, and that yeast ester de struise does so well.

T- perfect blend of chocolate, dates, oak, vanilla, raisin, and toffee.

MF- like a cup of espresso. Medium heavy body, slightly oily

Could easily drink this everyday

Question: if I want to post in the cellaring forum, do I have to refer to how a beer is "drinking" right now? Or can I say it tastes a certain way?

I don't want to break protocol or come off as a commoner.

Question: if I want to post in the cellaring forum, do I have to refer to how a beer is "drinking" right now? Or can I say it tastes a certain way?

I don't want to break protocol or come off as a commoner.

Post however the **** you want. This isn't exactly a popular thread

Okay good. I've been drinking pretty well lately.

If I get the good news I'm expecting soon, I'll drink my 07 worldwide stout and tell all you mofos about it.

This. I only have an 08 and 09 left so I'd love to hear how the 07 is drinking. Look back through the previous months of this thread, it's the same 10-15 guys talking about old beer. It's fun.

5 year old bells oracle (left) drank with newest batch (right)
64E54BF6-6859-419C-A782-7A9F565B20C2-1327-0000012F80D5FCF6_zps4857dd2d.jpg

I gotta admit that I did this just to be a smartass. 5 years ago I was given a bottle of Oracle that was already months old so I said **** it and tried to forget I even had it. When I recently learned a new batch was out, I did a creepy giggle knowing a side by side with the classic "its a barleywine now bro" was in order.

This little experiment actually surprised me. Id take more of the 09 over the fresh ****. The fresh stuff has a mineral edge and upfront solvent alcohol. A bighter citrus-like nose of course on the freshy but the tasting experience was better on the old bottle. The aged bottle was malty blending to a faded fruity alcohol aspect and lingering herbal bitterness. A touch of oxidation made me almost think I was drinking a thinner, less intense version of bigfoot. (Kinda, not quite.)

Been drinking through a box i recently discovered from 2011-2012 of random ass shelf stuff.

Sierra Nevada ovila dubbel batch 1 cap n cork was quite nice. It is much smoother around the edges than fresh, and the pit fruit is starting to shine through. Med carb. Creamy as hell. 8/10 wish I held a few more as this is hitting a sweet spot now.

JP sombre humano palena 4-26-12. Remindes me of RR damnation with more tropical flavors. Not as juicy as when fresh but still quite delicious. Mild oxidation. Low carb. Wouldn't age more. 7/10.

Haandbryggeriet krøkkebic- mild acidity, bright tart berry taste, like a mix of raspberries and apricots. A bit on the watery side but easy as hell to drink. Almost like a fruited Berliner. Med carb. Quite interesting. When I initially pulled it from the box I wondered why the hell I would have saved one of those, but now I'm happy I did. 7/10.

Ovila quad b1, ommegang Aphrodite 2011, Hebrew 1515 up next

Been drinking through a box i recently discovered from 2011-2012 of random ass shelf stuff.

Sierra Nevada ovila dubbel batch 1 cap n cork was quite nice. It is much smoother around the edges than fresh, and the pit fruit is starting to shine through. Med carb. Creamy as hell. 8/10 wish I held a few more as this is hitting a sweet spot now.

JP sombre humano palena 4-26-12. Remindes me of RR damnation with more tropical flavors. Not as juicy as when fresh but still quite delicious. Mild oxidation. Low carb. Wouldn't age more. 7/10.

Haandbryggeriet krøkkebic- mild acidity, bright tart berry taste, like a mix of raspberries and apricots. A bit on the watery side but easy as hell to drink. Almost like a fruited Berliner. Med carb. Quite interesting. When I initially pulled it from the box I wondered why the hell I would have saved one of those, but now I'm happy I did. 7/10.

Ovila quad b1, ommegang Aphrodite 2011, Hebrew 1515 up next

I remember than Ovila dubbel being almost tasteless when it launched. As a friend put it "a dubbel fermented with US-05".

Which was pretty accurate.

So I went to my regular tasting not expecting much. I love when that happens.

cyNK6UQl.jpg

08 Midnight Sun Berserker

I didn't even ask how this was stored but it was cold when it hit the table. It was quite smokey, still has a good amount of carb and a little thin but not anything you wouldn't expect from a 6 year old bottle. I never had this fresh or even any of the other vintages to compare to.

W4WVBAKl.jpg

Russian River Beatification Batch 001

The dude who brought this said a friend gave it to him. He had no idea what he had. First impression, just very sweet, not sour and very delicate. A little funk on the nose but not at all tart or sour tasting. This was ****ing tits.

Deschutes 2010 Jubel

My last bottle. I just figured **** it, this would be a small tasting so I might as well open something that I have no idea when I would open otherwise. This beer is not over the hill as has been reported, everybody there said it is holding up great. A little oxidation and its thinned out but it's by no means bad. And I say that as someone who just opened his last bottle so I have no reason to inflate its value.

opened up a 2011 or older Hanssens Oude Kriek last night and was very pleased with it.

deep deep red to almost light purple, starting to get a little bit of a muddy look to it. little to no carbonation as usual. A bit of Cherries on the nose, a good bit of funk and definite sour notes. This one is sour, funky , minerally and overall an excellent kriek.

I will definitely being buying a few more of these to age. Not sure on the exact age as hanssens only started dating the bottles in late 2012. It could have been an early 2012 I just don't know when I bought it

So I went to my regular tasting not expecting much. I love when that happens.

cyNK6UQl.jpg

08 Midnight Sun Berserker

I didn't even ask how this was stored but it was cold when it hit the table. It was quite smokey, still has a good amount of carb and a little thin but not anything you wouldn't expect from a 6 year old bottle. I never had this fresh or even any of the other vintages to compare to.

W4WVBAKl.jpg

Russian River Beatification Batch 001

The dude who brought this said a friend gave it to him. He had no idea what he had. First impression, just very sweet, not sour and very delicate. A little funk on the nose but not at all tart or sour tasting. This was ****ing tits.

Deschutes 2010 Jubel

My last bottle. I just figured **** it, this would be a small tasting so I might as well open something that I have no idea when I would open otherwise. This beer is not over the hill as has been reported, everybody there said it is holding up great. A little oxidation and its thinned out but it's by no means bad. And I say that as someone who just opened his last bottle so I have no reason to inflate its value.

BillHilly and I split a 2010 (old label Berserker) a few months back and it was drinking awesome.
My last bottle of Jubel 2010 was fantastic as well. I had it about a month ago and the wine barrel was so silky smooth and sweet. I love this beer.

Pelican MOAS '12

Huge dark fruit and bourbon aromas. The flavor is HUGE fig with notes of bourbon, coconut, vanilla, leather, caramel, slight notes of oxidation, but all that is dominated by figs. Slight carbonation, obviously no head retention, just a light ring around the glass. Really really ****ing good. This beer is aging beautifully. Definitely built to last.

Pelican MOAS '12

Huge dark fruit and bourbon aromas. The flavor is HUGE fig with notes of bourbon, coconut, vanilla, leather, caramel, slight notes of oxidation, but all that is dominated by figs. Slight carbonation, obviously no head retention, just a light ring around the glass. Really really ****ing good. This beer is aging beautifully. Definitely built to last.

I opened up a 2010 at DLD with beachstrength49 and it was drinking amazingly. I love this beer with age.

10733588_10152794601794919_2050298735_n.jpg

Pretty darn delicious! No infection, oxidation and plenty of barrel character. This was my first BA Hibernation. It was a treat indeed.

This beer is so awesome. Wish I could have picked up more than one bottle. I've never had BA yeti, but BA hibernation is easily the best Great Divide beer I've had.

wootstout V1 Is drinking very well

Booze has faded to a myriad of chocolate, balanced barrel juice, and a great almond/pecan pie like aspect out back.

Almost hated this beer fresh...
glad to hear this, as i have a bottle that i have never even bothered opening because of how horrid the reviews were when it came out.

drank a 2011-12 mad elf last night that is coming around nicely. the heat is virtually gone, and the cherry flavor that i feel can be a bit cough-syrupy fresh is fading. no signs of oxidation at this point. going to hold off on the rest of my stash for at least a couple more years.

9f8ffee7dc03836450cb45b5fdb378ff_640x640.jpg

Pelican MOAS '12

i ****ing love this beer so much, and as Treebs said, this ***** with age is superb sipping.

This banger has almost three years on it. Great barrel sweetness with some light vanilla and oak. Some raisin and mild sweet bread. Light carb and really well rounded. Still holding up strong. Sadly this was my last one.

This banger has almost three years on it. Great barrel sweetness with some light vanilla and oak. Some raisin and mild sweet bread. Light carb and really well rounded. Still holding up strong. Sadly this was my last one.

Rub it in...the glass and the beer..you evil doer

I accidentally aged a Stone 12/21/12 Enjoy By and opened it in early October. Yes, a beer I was supposed to consume about 2 years ago.

It was really good. Not sure why, but it hadn't turned into a barleywine and actually had some nice hops left. The color had started to turn, but it wasn't the copper color of really old DIPA's I would expect. Just a little darker than a fresh bottle. Stored immaculately (at 45 degrees and upright since day one when it was purchased cold), but still I am in shock. Anyone ever aged a Heady Topper or Pliny by accident for over a year?

I accidentally aged a Stone 12/21/12 Enjoy By and opened it in early October. Yes, a beer I was supposed to consume about 2 years ago.

It was really good. Not sure why, but it hadn't turned into a barleywine and actually had some nice hops left. The color had started to turn, but it wasn't the copper color of really old DIPA's I would expect. Just a little darker than a fresh bottle. Stored immaculately (at 45 degrees and upright since day one when it was purchased cold), but still I am in shock. Anyone ever aged a Heady Topper or Pliny by accident for over a year?

Pretty sure he drinks one in this video:

I cracked a 2012 Sour in the Rye during a little pumpkin beer tasting I was having (as a little change up to all the pumpkin). It was universally loved, was drinking so damn nice. It lost a lot of the vinegar, pucker inducing sourness (which may be bad if you like that). Instead it's turned into a tart, funky thing of beauty that I really enjoyed. I may pick up some more of these just to sit on for a few years again.

Anyone ever aged a Heady Topper or Pliny by accident for over a year?

Saw this and figured this would be an appropriate thread for my first post on TB.

Got home from work one night last week to find a package sitting on my front step. I see it's from my friend down in DC, I open it and it's a single bottle of Pliny the Elder. "What an unexpected surprise after a long day!" I say to my wife. I go to throw it in the fridge, and notice the bottled on date: 040814

That obviously brought my excitement level way down, as I've had Pliny that was ~2 months old before and even that seemed like a large dropoff from fresh Pliny that I'd had. But it's the thought that counts, so I still appreciated the effort.

Drank it with a friend a few nights later and it actually tasted GREAT! And PTE isn't even in my top 10 DIPA's, so it's not like I'm a fanboy to begin with, but it was holding up exceptionally well for a 6+ month old beer than many people say falls of a cliff >1 month. I love when beer surprised you like that. Pretty cool.

I tried a 7 month old Pliny next to one that was a week or less awhile back. And yeah, the hops were VERY faded in the 7 month old. To the point that it didn't even taste like a DIPA. It's cliche to say, but yeah, it tasted more like a barleywine.

Back