Cellared Beer Reviews : April 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebs

Reaction score
Checking in the 2011 BCBS. Super fudgey and rich. The bourbon is really smooth with a nice vanilla sweetness creeping in and some light dark fruit notes. No real oxidation at the moment. This was my favorite batch fresh and it has aged gracefully. Still a lot of tread left on these tires.

I've been clearing out my cellar in anticipation of moving in a few months.

2010 De Struise Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb - this is in the 11.2oz format, purchased from the webshop back in 2010. Fresh it was a top 5 favorite stout I'd ever had. Aged unnecessarily long, it actually hasn't lost all that much. The coffee is absolutely still there after nearly 4 years. There's a secondary flavor that comes off like a bit of sherry-like oxidation but is actually mostly the Black Albert yeast strain peeking through because of the coffee & barrel character diminishing over time. It's still better fresh-to-one-year, but its nothing to slouch at when old either.

2010 Founders KBS - meanwhile, the coffee in this beer is almost entirely absent at 4 years old. It is real fudge forward with some oxidized notes on the midpalate. Fine enough, I guess. I found a 4-pack of 2010 KBS in a box in my cellar that I totally forgot about. I'm not saying anything new at all when I say that KBS shouldn't be aged for 4 years.

20140409_191555_zpsbpubrdkg.jpg

2009 De Struise Cuvee Delphine.

This is better than the last time I had it two years ago. It is supremely vinous: Beaujolais-like character; good juice. This is a great match with the Black Albert dark-fruits-a-palooza yeast strain. There's scarcely any oak or spirit left from the Four Roses barrels, but the beer's inherent coffee roast is showing through, though faint. Above all it is super smooth. You could give this to someone in a blindfolded taste and they might think this was a decanted red wine. Really.

20140409_191555_zpsbpubrdkg.jpg

2009 De Struise Cuvee Delphine.

This is better than the last time I had it two years ago. It is supremely vinous: Beaujolais-like character; good juice. This is a great match with the Black Albert dark-fruits-a-palooza yeast strain. There's scarcely any oak or spirit left from the Four Roses barrels, but the beer's inherent coffee roast is showing through, though faint. Above all it is super smooth. You could give this to someone in a blindfolded taste and they might think this was a decanted red wine. Really.

Hmm... I had the 2011 not long ago and thought it was amazing - I have one bottle left which I was planning on drinking soon. Maybe I'll wait.

Hmm... I had the 2011 not long ago and thought it was amazing - I have one bottle left which I was planning on drinking soon. Maybe I'll wait.
Could just be bottle/cellaring variance, but when I had a 2009 bottle about two years ago I thought I had already aged it past its prime. And, for the sake of barrel character, this bottle I opened tonight bears that out. I didn't see this huge red wine character coming out though. I'm digging it.

2011 Bigfoot

Still Bigfoot. The hops are starting to fade a little and the dark fruit flavors are starting to come out a little bit more, but other than that there's no real change. Nice raisin flavors with wheat bread malt. Got two more in the cellar that I may not touch for 2-4 years.

Could just be bottle/cellaring variance, but when I had a 2009 bottle about two years ago I thought I had already aged it past its prime. And, for the sake of barrel character, this bottle I opened tonight bears that out. I didn't see this huge red wine character coming out though. I'm digging it.

I'm probably going to err on the safe side. December last year I found my 2009 Grand Reserva had gone too far and I was crushed. My 2010 however, was amazing.

I know that Delphine is amazing now so I'll probably drink it soon.

Not my cellar, but found in a bottle store. 2 years old now, a collab between local brewery Temple and Weihenstephan. 7% Weizenbock, only 4000 bottles made (which is actually a lot given the market in Australia 2 years ago)

6 months ago it was rich toffee, banana and sweet. Now it smells like toffee and banana but is very dry. Very drinkable. Everything has mellowed and it's gentle.

20140410_182622.jpg

2011 Bigfoot

Still Bigfoot. The hops are starting to fade a little and the dark fruit flavors are starting to come out a little bit more, but other than that there's no real change. Nice raisin flavors with wheat bread malt. Got two more in the cellar that I may not touch for 2-4 years.

Yup, had a 2011 not long ago and felt the same. Is anyone else amazed at the staying power of hops in Sierra Nevada brews? A freaking three year old Bigfoot tastes as fresh as many three month old IPAs of lesser quality.

I'm sitting on a case of 2012 Bigfoot, don't plan on touching it till 2017 or so. Love me some aged Bigfoot.

Yup, had a 2011 not long ago and felt the same. Is anyone else amazed at the staying power of hops in Sierra Nevada brews? A freaking three year old Bigfoot tastes as fresh as many three month old IPAs of lesser quality.

I'm sitting on a case of 2012 Bigfoot, don't plan on touching it till 2017 or so. Love me some aged Bigfoot.

I think I mentioned it in the Bigfoot thread, but we had a BW tasting late last year and we had a 95 Bigfoot that a buddy's coworker had kept in his fridge since day one. We popped it open and it poured like regular Bigfoot. Tons of hops left. It was insane.

Is anyone else amazed at the staying power of hops in Sierra Nevada brews?
I think it's their QC. They are fanatical about keeping O2 out of their beers, and I think that actually lessens their aging potential somewhat. I did a large-ish vertical of bigfoot one time and basically couldn't tell that it had changed.

I think it's their QC. They are fanatical about keeping O2 out of their beers, and I think that actually lessens their aging potential somewhat. I did a large-ish vertical of bigfoot one time and basically couldn't tell that it had changed.

I've got a 2 year old Hoptimum waiting to test out this theory.

2011 Lost Abbey Angel's Share

AAqX0AR.jpg

Flat as can be. Pretty much expected at this point. Initial aroma is fantastic, reminded me of a "junior Utopias". Brandy-soaked raisin bran bread, sticky toffee & caramel candies, some sweet cherries. Must character grew with time. Taste left more to be desired. Still plenty of sweet brandy but it had developed a tartness that was more prominent than I've gotten from fresh bottles. Tart grape & raisin skins, brown sugar, buttery toffee, sweet brandy, musty wood in the finish.

Overall, the nose was great, the taste was merely "good" at best. Mouth feel was severely lacking... Literally NO carbonation, nada.

This isn't exactly cellared, but had some of the Odell Fernet Porter (last fall's batch) on tap at Odell today and there's definitely some kind of infection brewing. I'd drink 'em if you got 'em.

Darkness 2007, poured into a Darness glass (2012?) at cellar temp. Jeffo opened a bottle, immediately slow-poured me a nip to the very top, then capped it, then sent it.

Pours with a nice head that turns into beautiful lacing. Looked really good from start to finish. Lots of roast, dark fruit and sweetness on the nose. The sweetness isn't at all overpowering. As it opens, a very odd and offputting aroma comes through that I can't describe very well. Flavors identify closely with the aromas (except for that offputting note), with the addition of a hoppy bite right in the middle of the first few sips. There is also note of oxidation that comes with some of the dark fruit, similar to what you'd find with an older BSDA or Quad. In an odd way, there is some booziness that lingers as well. As the flavors coat after a few sips, the middle-bite goes away with any real sign of the hops.

It is an interesting experience, as I've actually been somewhat of a fan in the past of aged Darkness, but this one is not something I'll seek to find again. I think this bottle was stored as well as it could have been, so I doubt there is anything from the experience that I missed aside from actually drinking it next to friends. Overall, still good, try it if someone pours you a glass.

13799822575_9cd8fc29a9_c.jpg

Darkness 2007, poured into a Darness glass (2012?) at cellar temp. Jeffo opened a bottle, immediately slow-poured me a nip to the very top, then capped it, then sent it.

Pours with a nice head that turns into beautiful lacing. Looked really good from start to finish. Lots of roast, dark fruit and sweetness on the nose. The sweetness isn't at all overpowering. As it opens, a very odd and offputting aroma comes through that I can't describe very well. Flavors identify closely with the aromas (except for that offputting note), with the addition of a hoppy bite right in the middle of the first few sips. There is also note of oxidation that comes with some of the dark fruit, similar to what you'd find with an older BSDA or Quad. In an odd way, there is some booziness that lingers as well. As the flavors coat after a few sips, the middle-bite goes away with any real sign of the hops.

It is an interesting experience, as I've actually been somewhat of a fan in the past of aged Darkness, but this one is not something I'll seek to find again. I think this bottle was stored as well as it could have been, so I doubt there is anything from the experience that I missed aside from actually drinking it next to friends. Overall, still good, try it if someone pours you a glass.

13799822575_9cd8fc29a9_c.jpg
I really enjoyed a 2008 that I had some months ago.

I've been clearing out my cellar

2010 De Struise Black Damnation II: Mocha Bomb - this is in the 11.2oz format, purchased from the webshop back in 2010. Fresh it was a top 5 favorite stout I'd ever had. Aged unnecessarily long, it actually hasn't lost all that much. The coffee is absolutely still there after nearly 4 years. There's a secondary flavor that comes off like a bit of sherry-like oxidation but is actually mostly the Black Albert yeast strain peeking through because of the coffee & barrel character diminishing over time. It's still better fresh-to-one-year, but its nothing to slouch at when old either.

I gotta chime in here since I recently purged a lot of my remaining bottles of De Struise from my cellar. Mine were purchased from the same time period and later.

The original batch of St. Amatus 12 is not in a good place right now. Really enjoyed it fresh but 3+ years of aging have not been kind. Still dark and fruity but thinned out and mineral-filled now instead of lush, boozy and chewy.

Agreed on all accounts/description of mocha bomb and hate myself for not buying a case considerig the rediculous new format/pricing.

Had a 5 year old bottle of black albert along side kabert. Blindly we could hardly tell them apart because the black albert was super vinous and akin to the wine aspect of kabert. Then I opened up one of the "batch zero" leftover bottles that were bottled off the tank. IE: the original batch o black albert with notation on cap, not labels that was aged in steel for several years. Rich, roasted chocolate and nothin like any other batch of black albert that ive ever had.

2011 Lost Abbey Angel's Share

AAqX0AR.jpg

Flat as can be. Pretty much expected at this point. Initial aroma is fantastic, reminded me of a "junior Utopias". Brandy-soaked raisin bran bread, sticky toffee & caramel candies, some sweet cherries. Must character grew with time. Taste left more to be desired. Still plenty of sweet brandy but it had developed a tartness that was more prominent than I've gotten from fresh bottles. Tart grape & raisin skins, brown sugar, buttery toffee, sweet brandy, musty wood in the finish.

Overall, the nose was great, the taste was merely "good" at best. Mouth feel was severely lacking... Literally NO carbonation, nada.
I had Angel's Share back in 2011. It was a new batch, so maybe the same as what you had here and it had absolutely no carbonation then either.

I'm probably going to err on the safe side. December last year I found my 2009 Grand Reserva had gone too far and I was crushed. My 2010 however, was amazing.

I know that Delphine is amazing now so I'll probably drink it soon.

Is Cuvee Delphine difficult to get in the US? I've never seen this one on the shelves before. Only time I had it was in Belgium and I thought it was the absolute tits (a very good thing).

Is Cuvee Delphine difficult to get in the US? I've never seen this one on the shelves before. Only time I had it was in Belgium and I thought it was the absolute tits (a very good thing).

I live in Australia so no idea. It pops up sometimes on shelves here. People don't know how good it is so it stays there for a while too.

I live in Australia so no idea. It pops up sometimes on shelves here. People don't know how good it is so it stays there for a while too.

oh ok, in my area of the US i've only seen bottles of black albert and different pannepot varieties. Once in a while if you're lucky you can find a keg of something in nyc.

anyone else know the availability of cuvee delphine?

cheers

Kegs of Cuvee Delphine were floating around Chicago a year or so ago. I've never seen bottles.

2007 Bourbon County Stout (opened April 2014):

D1Am05j.jpg

No head, as expected, super oily & thick - no viscosity losses here. Aroma is insanely complex! Bourbon very tame, allowing many other things to shine. Lots of dark fudge, some tangy prunes, wet oak, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla. This is the first BCS that I've gotten "soy sauce" from, but it wasn't distracting or bad at all, it was quite mild & added a nice savory element to the nose.

Carbonation gone, reasonably, it tasted like Devil's Food Cake drizzled with extra fudge. Chocolate bomb! Tame barrel induced vanillin & some of the smoothest bourbon you can imagine. Almost no heat at all, lots more dark chocolate & heavy, burnt brown sugar notes in the finish. Just the slightest hint of oxidation lingers in the mouth coating, but it's not a bother (yet).

Can't believe how well this has held up (all except for the carbonation, anyway). It certainly has developed nicely. Not the best bottle/vintage/age I've had. I had an almost 5 year old bottle of '08, & a 4.5 year old bottle of '09 that blew my mind, but this wasn't too far behind. Seems to be around 4.5 years is the sweet spot for this brew (for me, at least).

140CE484-9139-4CFF-B185-20B0621CEB5D_zpsf4of62wr.jpg

this has, uh, not fared well in my estimation. still pretty boozy and actually a little hoppy... but it smells like ass. i had this 3 years ago and it was a very different beer. this time around it's rather disappointing. sorry i don't have much more than that, i didn't write anything down and it was from last thursday.

2BCCC1E0-9AA8-4C47-BBB5-F5BC5469889C_zpshndvxpds.jpg

from saturday night: was this 2010 or 2011? i can't remember. this smelled fantastic. kinda like grilling a burger. with bacon on it. as if bacon had actually been added. this actually had a huge amount of smoke... way more than i was expecting. it was balanced nicely with the sweetness from the barrel. wish i had another bottle!

D8FA57A9-504A-44B1-AEC1-4646E62265E4_zpsy6czxa3k.jpg

from tonight: last bottle of this one. unsurprisingly, pours with barely any carbonation. a lot of the booze is gone from this. still a good bit of sweetness... not maple exactly, just general barrel sweetness. despite the lack of carbonation, i really enjoyed it.

The Artist (2012) - West Coast Brewing (New Zealand)

20140422_171402.jpg

Brewed but never sold (I can't remember why... the brewery hit business issues soon after). The brewer has since moved on.

I scored a few bottles and as far as I'm aware there are still cases of it sitting at the brewery - I'll be back at the end of the year but I might send my dad down to inquire (hometown yo).

Anyway. 10% Barleywine. Just on 2 years old. The brewer told me the other day he heard it had thinned out, but right now it's liquid toffee, rum, raisins, a little alcohol burn, and a lovely peppery finish. Just stunning right now. Don't think I've ever had a beer this thick. far thicker than I remember it being.

Between this, and the 2009 De Dolle Oerbier Special Reserva I had the other day I remember why I'm such a ****ing beer geek.

140CE484-9139-4CFF-B185-20B0621CEB5D_zpsf4of62wr.jpg

this has, uh, not fared well in my estimation. still pretty boozy and actually a little hoppy... but it smells like ass. i had this 3 years ago and it was a very different beer. this time around it's rather disappointing. sorry i don't have much more than that, i didn't write anything down and it was from last thursday.

I had this within the last couple of months, and differentiating this and Black Butte XXV was hard to do. I swear, Deschutes brewed this, XXV, and Abyss 13 at the same time. They all taste the exact same to me. Figgy fruit, slight chocolate, cheap ass BA'd beers.

2011 Allagash Victor

Past its prime in my opinion. Even at 9% this beer tasted flat, dull and lifeless. You still got some grape sweetness, a hidden abv, and roundness you'd expect from an aged beer. But there was little to no flavor to distinguish it. Subtle sure, but not deep or complex enough to warrant 18 bucks.

2011 Allagash Victor

Past its prime in my opinion. Even at 9% this beer tasted flat, dull and lifeless. You still got some grape sweetness, a hidden abv, and roundness you'd expect from an aged beer. But there was little to no flavor to distinguish it. Subtle sure, but not deep or complex enough to warrant 18 bucks.
Uh oh... hope my 2010 bottle isn't bad...

oh ok, in my area of the US i've only seen bottles of black albert and different pannepot varieties. Once in a while if you're lucky you can find a keg of something in nyc.

anyone else know the availability of cuvee delphine?

cheers

Bought mine from the website. First one was tart and thin. Traded the second one with the disclaimer that it might be off. Never heard back if it was ok.

Had a 5 year old bottle of black albert along side kabert. Blindly we could hardly tell them apart because the black albert was super vinous and akin to the wine aspect of kabert. Then I opened up one of the "batch zero" leftover bottles that were bottled off the tank. IE: the original batch o black albert with notation on cap, not labels that was aged in steel for several years. Rich, roasted chocolate and nothin like any other batch of black albert that ive ever had.

Have one original batch zero in my fridge. The first one I had was one of my top of all time. Will report back.

St. Amatus 12 - B/09/15 - It seemed about time to open this one if in fact it is the original batch, . Used the brandy snifter to get it all in under one pour without many dregs.

Dark fruits with slight background sweet bread, but that is taken over by a fruity booziness, some sherry-like notes towards the end, dry finish. All works together well. Red wine-like notes are also coming through. Very interesting flavors, quite favorable.

I think this one must be peaking. I don't know how it could progress further. Really on point right now, try one out if you have it.

14005047236_a4a3c34b2b_b.jpg

Had a 2011 Kuhnhenn Bourbon Barrel Braggot last night and it basically smelled and tasted like sweet balsamic vinegar, very smooth and complex.

JW Lees Harvest Ale matured in Port Casks. Brewed in 2008. Like the last few times I've had this beer, it's got some nasty grilled vegetable thing going on in the taste with cloyingly sweet malts in the background. I'm assuming it's supposed to taste like this and I just must be missing something. Never again.

JW Lees Harvest Ale matured in Port Casks. Brewed in 2008. Like the last few times I've had this beer, it's got some nasty grilled vegetable thing going on in the taste with cloyingly sweet malts in the background. I'm assuming it's supposed to taste like this and I just must be missing something. Never again.
Yeah, the barrel-aged versions are nowhere near as good as the base beer.

Had a bottle of 2007 De Proef/Tomme Arthur Signature Reserve Ale. Time has not been super-kind -- it was oxidized to a degree I've never encountered, which almost made it interesting. But it was nearly flat, and there was no trace of brett. I think the synthetic cork used didn't do its job super well...

Bottled my 3rd homebrew last night (RR Row 2, Hill 56 clone) and even warm and uncarbed I was really pleased. So I decided to reach back into the cellar and pick out an oldie.
Soq5a2x.jpg

Bottled in November of 2009. An American Strong Ale aged on Oak. Popped the cork and watched the carb rise. Poured with a ton of carbonation considering the age. Nice and clumpy head with plenty of lacing. Rich amber color. Nose was caramel and sweet booze with a bit of oak. The taste was tons of Tootsie Roll and raisins with a bit of oak and vanilla. Sweet and boozy with a hint of bitterness on the end. Plenty of depth. Really enjoyed it!!!

Popped XXI about 2 or 3 weeks ago and HOLY MOLY is that beer drinking amazingly right now. Not that it was ever not, but this seemed as good if not better than any other time i had this great beer

10251484_299145130235654_1337843468_n.jpg

and on the de struise tip...these all happened the week prior:
10005184_528859380566972_837692756_n.jpg

1941072_263441450484110_1793120918_n.jpg

1963157_660837957311070_226062807_n.jpg

i thought they were all doing good. my initial opinions on these beers remained in tact with mocha bomb leading the pack and coffee club sitting in the back of the club (although still tasty). i have one more set of these left and will probably not hold them much longer.

had kabert a few weeks prior with a label "Batch 0" black albert and found kabert to be doing really well. was actually bummed that my stash is practically gone after having this one again. same for the "Batch 0" on the label black albert. REALLY solid and in a great place right now. the kabert had the great port notes and any granny apple flavors were gone. i'll have to check in on my st amatuses soon.

10013341_1478766835679317_1231309630_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back