Cellared Beer Reviews: December '14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stakem1

Reaction score
If you are dumb like me and have bottles of anchor our special ale tucked away...do yourself a favor and open them all sooner rather than later.

99A73E4B-B4DF-46B8-89C9-1AC75C0CA780-1081-0000011F83E12AC7_zps4b6de75a.jpg

9EC8A6DC-B935-49A6-9827-573C9862A9CD-1081-0000011F7BE5019D_zps36d919c7.jpg

At 17 and 18 years old, it was a crime against humanity to not just let them rest in peace forever. The '96 was soy sauce and raison city. It might have made an amazing marinade for steak but was not drinking well at all. The '97 was not as far gone but still the oxidation was beyond enjoyable and it had some faint pine/spice.

I have a magnum of '08 that im gonna open sometime between now and Christmas day. Lets hear/see what you guys are going to close this year out with.

If you are dumb like me and have bottles of anchor our special ale tucked away...do yourself a favor and open them all sooner rather than later.

99A73E4B-B4DF-46B8-89C9-1AC75C0CA780-1081-0000011F83E12AC7_zps4b6de75a.jpg

9EC8A6DC-B935-49A6-9827-573C9862A9CD-1081-0000011F7BE5019D_zps36d919c7.jpg

At 17 and 18 years old, it was a crime against humanity to not just let them rest in peace forever. The '96 was soy sauce and raison city. It might have made an amazing marinade for steak but was not drinking well at all. The '97 was not as far gone but still the oxidation was beyond enjoyable and it had some faint pine/spice.

I have a magnum of '08 that im gonna open sometime between now and Christmas day. Lets hear/see what you guys are going to close this year out with.

how did you store them? we did a 92-2009 vert about 8 months ago and i thought they all held up well. (some more than others) but i didn't get any of the crazy soy or oxidation that you are referring to. ours were in a 50* wine fridge from purchasing, so that may have been the deciding factor.

how did you store them? we did a 92-2009 vert about 8 months ago and i thought they all held up well. (some more than others) but i didn't get any of the crazy soy or oxidation that you are referring to. ours were in a 50* wine fridge from purchasing, so that may have been the deciding factor.
typical Pennsylvania basement/cellar conditions- fluctuation from 68? at warmest to 55ish at coolest

1983 Courage RIS -- still a very solid bottle (this is one of the 25cl "Export" bottles that most continental places will have), thin body with some very slight carb, nice toffee/treacle on the nose with a slight sherry bite, a little peat and iodine, then a long, tart, almost slightly savory finish. Nicely representative bottle.

Normally I open about one of these per year for my birthday... but this is a special occasion:

15945559261_26ec6a5d46_b.jpg

4axqqEz.jpg

Breaking into the old BCBS bottles I have, the goal is do to 2010 (the oldest current bottle I have) through 2014 in the month of December.

Appearance: Bourbon county, bro. Black, viscous. The mocha head quickly fades to nearly nothing around the edges of the glass.

Smell: Vanilla bean, cocoa nibs, some wine-like characteristics. Plenty of fig and dates. No outward negative oxidation as far as I can detect. The bourbon is well integrated without being overbearing.

Taste: Dark chocolate and cocoa nibs. A slight bitter roasted note. Oak tannin and marshmallows. Sweet on the finish with a cloying quality followed by some bitterness reminiscent of coffee that was brewed too hot or with old beans. Definitely some oxidation creeping in on the taste.

Mouthfeel: A bit more thin than I had imagined. Carb is definitely low to none on this one. The mouthfeel is definitely thicker than most beers, but doesn't have that super syrupy feel I'm used to with this beer.

Overall: Not bad, not great either. Definitely interesting to see what 4 years does to regular BCBS. Compared to the 09 bomber I had recently I prefer this, but not by much.

Opened a 2005 Alaskan Brewing Smoked Porter and had it side by side with a 2013. The '05 definitely lost some smoke, but got much sweeter and seemingly more viscous. Everyone enjoyed the '05 way more than the '13, which is awesome but now we have to wait 9 years to experience that again. Overall definitely a good beer to age and an easy vertical to compile over the next few years.

I finally cracked my 2007 3L of Samil with some friends last night. Not pleasant. Almost zero carbonation but it still had a little bit of heat, toffee, fruit cake and caramel. Those darn swingtops...

1983 Courage RIS -- still a very solid bottle (this is one of the 25cl "Export" bottles that most continental places will have), thin body with some very slight carb, nice toffee/treacle on the nose with a slight sherry bite, a little peat and iodine, then a long, tart, almost slightly savory finish. Nicely representative bottle.

Normally I open about one of these per year for my birthday... but this is a special occasion:

Nice. Not had the 1983 but I have some from the 70s I'll need to crack open at some point.

Had a Mort Subite Gueuze Lambic with a best before date of 1996 last week. This bottle had been hiding away in my parent's fridge for years. They don't like sour beers so they gave it to me. Still very sour and highly carbonated. Not the best geuze I've ever had but still an interesting experience and it makes me want to hide away some more bottles for future drinking.
sgaWSee.jpg

4axqqEz.jpg

Breaking into the old BCBS bottles I have, the goal is do to 2010 (the oldest current bottle I have) through 2014 in the month of December.

Appearance: Bourbon county, bro. Black, viscous. The mocha head quickly fades to nearly nothing around the edges of the glass.

Smell: Vanilla bean, cocoa nibs, some wine-like characteristics. Plenty of fig and dates. No outward negative oxidation as far as I can detect. The bourbon is well integrated without being overbearing.

Taste: Dark chocolate and cocoa nibs. A slight bitter roasted note. Oak tannin and marshmallows. Sweet on the finish with a cloying quality followed by some bitterness reminiscent of coffee that was brewed too hot or with old beans. Definitely some oxidation creeping in on the taste.

Mouthfeel: A bit more thin than I had imagined. Carb is definitely low to none on this one. The mouthfeel is definitely thicker than most beers, but doesn't have that super syrupy feel I'm used to with this beer.

Overall: Not bad, not great either. Definitely interesting to see what 4 years does to regular BCBS. Compared to the 09 bomber I had recently I prefer this, but not by much.

For me, BCBS really lasts around 3-3.5 years. Anything after that and it starts to fall off. I'm clinging desperately to my 2011's as it was my favorite vintage ever and it's starting to tail off....but I can't bring myself to crack all the rest of them.

For me, BCBS really lasts around 3-3.5 years. Anything after that and it starts to fall off. I'm clinging desperately to my 2011's as it was my favorite vintage ever and it's starting to tail off....but I can't bring myself to crack all the rest of them.

Yeah this one was definitely faded compared to slightly younger vintages I've had in the past. Opening a 2011 tonight so I'll let you know how it is holding up.

Anyone know how the BCS Coffee bombers are holding up?

Anyone know how the BCS Coffee bombers are holding up?

I find the BCS Coffee Bombers to be one of the weirder aging beers around in that I've found no deciding factor on if they'll be good or a vegetal green pepper mess.

We've opened ones that have been stored in the fridge, in terrible conditions, in cellars, and they have been all over the place.

I'd open any I had left sooner rather than later though as it usually turns into a negative instead of just fading away pleasantly.

So not really reviews, but went to a beer tasting at a local brewery last night (Bull & Bush) that was pouring a lot of vintages of a lot of beers. Much fun. Just some notes on what stood out:

2012 Stille Nacht: Awesome, probably my favorite beer of the night. Really balanced, perfect amount of spice, touch of sweetness, just a great beer.

2007 120 Minute: A sweet, sticky, boozy thing of beauty.

2011 Fantome de Noel: Hnnnnggggg. I need to lay down some tomes, because this was beautiful. I didn't like 2012 as much, but was still tasty.

2010 Wisconsin Belgian Red: Another favorite from the night, still a nice tart cherry bomb. Surprised how well this held up for 4 years. Tasted like it could go another 4 years.

1997 Bigfoot: Gross. Like drinking wet cardboard. But, 2 others who were there had it and loved it (not sure if poured out of the same bottle). So maybe it was the bottle, or maybe just me (but another friend who had it hated it as well - so 2 loved it, 2 hated it).

There were many others but those I remember the most. Sorry for lack of more detail, and take it all with a grain of salt as these were small pours, not full pours.

Arg there she blows!
Im late to the party. How bad did the acquisition of this hurt ya?

2012 Stille Nacht: Awesome, probably my favorite beer of the night. Really balanced, perfect amount of spice, touch of sweetness, just a great beer.

I've only had it fresh and didn't find it so amazing as it was way too sweet for me. I bought two bottles last year and stashed one away in the cellar. Have you had it fresh? How does it compare?

I've only had it fresh and didn't find it so amazing as it was way too sweet for me. I bought two bottles last year and stashed one away in the cellar. Have you had it fresh? How does it compare?

Have not had it fresh, unfortunately, first time I've tried it was at this event. It didn't stick out as overly sweet to me though, but I also think I probably have a pretty high tolerance for sweet beers.

Cheers. I think I'll let this bottle age a bit longer and if I can find more I'll add a few bottles. Multiple people have told me they really like it so I'll give it another chance.

n2EYADJ.jpg

So me and two of my brothers did this tonight. It was a pretty fun experience as they both appreciate beer, but not to the extent of spending most of their online time on a beer website appreciate.

Anyways,

We opened them 2012-->2009-->2005

By no means the exhaustive list of Doggie Claws, just what I had in the cellar.

2012, tons of floaties, still some hops, plus the very malty backbone

2009 was a syrupy mess, no hops and not much carb. I had heard iffy things about this years so I wasn't shocked.

2005 was the favorite. The malt was a bit more muted, wonderful carb, just a really enjoyable beer for being 9 years old.

This was fun, now just have to tackle my Bigfoot vertical 2005-present :rolleyes:

SN/RR Brux yo.

Last two times I had this, it was ****ed. Burnt rubber, unpleasant. Just a **** show. I was one of the few that liked it on release (people be expecting brett to be sour. People are idiots). Had it in my cellar thinking "ugh, I'll have to tick it again one day". My gf suggested it tonight. So here we are.

angels share... ?

20141213_215750.jpg

Some seepage (can't really see it but as soon as I turned the cage white foam seeping all over and the cork was soaked). Stored sideways for the record.

20141213_215819.jpg

Pours amazingly though. Look at that lively head. It did not stay around however.

20141213_220033.jpg

Aroma: Pineapple, guava, white pepper, peach, nectarine. Bretty in all the right places.

Taste: None of the burnt rubber. Fairly clean, dry, white pepper, summer fruits, pears, lively as ****.

Overall: If you have bottles... six months. I reckon this beer went through a horrible dumb period and now the brett has taken care of business and cleaned all the **** out. It's clean, dry, lively and pretty damn good.

e3urfzX.jpg

2011 Bourbon County. Finally getting around to this one, sorry for the delay Treebs

Appearance: Fuggin bourbon county bruh. It's black and has a little mocha head that quickly fades.

Aroma: Ooooh mama. It's got this vanilla bean/burnt marshmallow/oak interplay paired with cocoa and butterscotch. Some prunes on the back end followed by a kick in the ass by alcohol.

Flavor: ****. I mean, ridiculously good. Vanilla all over the place with marshmallow, charred oak, bourbon, semi-sweet chocolate and some roasty coffee on the back end. I mean, this is what bourbon county is supposed to be.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, thick, perfect carb.

Overall: This one has hit it's sweet spot. Damn near perfect example of what I look for in a BA stout. Nothing I'd change. It's got all the classic bourbon profile notes with some great roast, chocolate and coffee to counterbalance.

2012 Melange 3

Super ugly muddy brown but this was a tasty beer. Barrel notes had fallen off slightly and the entire beer was nicely melded. Tons of brown sugar and molasses.

2013 BCBCS

Opened this and caught a distict wiff of green bell peppers. Poured it amd let it warm up. Pure vegetable. Drain pour.

Don't age your coffee stouts kids.

2012 §ucaba - Can't honestly remember the last time I had this beer fresh, but I am pretty sure it was last years version on tap. I could tell almost no difference (from memory) with this version which is ~3 years old. Still has plenty of heat and nice bourbon and malt characteristics. I was surprised it was as hot as it is after this long. Tasted very fresh.

2012 Darkness - Phenomenal beer, just a perfect (non-barrel aged) Russian Imperial Stout in my mind. Some of the hops have settled down and this thing has tons of layers of roasted malts, chocolate, and a little bit of coffee. Mouthfeel was great, full bodied but not overly thick or chewy. As it warms I get a little bit of dark fruit. Wish I had another bottle.

Last edited:
2013 Drake's Reunion Barleywine
A few notes on this:
"Tremendous people and brewers come and go like last sips of our beers. In nearly 24 years of beer here in San Leandro some of our brewers have moved on, but they remain in our hearts as well-loved mash paddle wielding, Friday BBQing, washoe playing, champions of Drake’s past. Two years ago, a handful of the greats including Bert Boyce, Jeff O’Neil, Josh Miner, Brian Thorson, Melissa Myers, and Rodger Davis came together to make the Reunion Barleywine Ale. Ber offered up six Samuel Adams Utopias barrels in which to age their creation, and two years later this beer is ready for your tasting pleasure. Enjoy with old friends."

Thanks Thurgoft.

A: Reunion poured very dark, like a dark crimson color, near black with a fizzy dirty white cap and meh head retention. It smelled and felt like a English barleywine IMO so I quickly got over the lack of carbonation because that would have been natural for the style.
S: It smelled of raisins, fligs, butterscotch, cocoa, vanilla with some dark cherries.
T: Tastes of candied dark fruits with a sharp booze punch upfront followed by overripened cherries, figs, raisins, fruitcake, butterscotch and chocolate all in one. At 55F it was a little more cola and cocoa flavor but as it warmed the barrels came alive and the toffee, butterscotch and fruits did as well.
M: Not creamy per se', perhaps a wee bit overcarbonated but definietly filling and sweet
O: I was not overly impressed by the lack of head staying power or the initial taste but it grew on me, then it kept growing and by the time I had finished I wanted three more.

I have an '09-'14 BCBS vertical...I was gonna open them all at once with a few people, but may take a lead from justforrazors and open one every few nights.

Plan on doing a '12-'14 BCBCS vertical, Cherry Rye and Backyard for X-Mas.

I'm not too impressed with '14 BCBS.

10433095_10152936746919919_6731542164375286857_n.jpg

Thanks to CrusiaC!
This 2006 Cereal Killer is holding it's own.
This is my first one of these in many years.
Lots of dark fruits and chocolate coming.
A light sour note with a hint of cardboard in there but that was pretty tame.
Overall, still a very drinkable barleywine. Drink 'em if you got 'em.

how does one taste oxidation? what should i be looking for?

10422347_10152940414554919_888962511353040343_n.jpg

1999 JW Lee's Harvest Ale:
Still pretty warm and sweet. The main tasting notes were still raisins, toffee
with a light hint of chocolate. Pretty nice drinking so far.
10616268_10152938590954919_8811126283711268601_n.jpg

2010 Bruery Coton:
Wow. The booze and sugar have fallen off to make this drinkable, solo, without falling into sugar shock.
Plenty of raisins, figs, light wood and moderate bourbon. The heat is just right. It took five years but now it's drinking better than ever. No oxidation or infection; very well carbonated. A nice investment at $21.99 back in 2010.

10357239_10152941398594919_1129000624664033149_n.jpg

2011 East End Flatitude:
Not so flat. However, something is going on here. I'm belching ALOT since drinking and my stomach feels a bit wonky.
Tasting pretty good too. Lots if ripe cherries, figs, chocolate and caramel.
Mouthfeel has a light carbonation with a medium stickiness. Almost zero booze.
Very easy to drink. I was expecting a flat, hot mess but instead received a tasty classic.

how does one taste oxidation? what should i be looking for?

This has some good info.

http://www.beerandbrewing.com/flavor-week-oxidized/

Go suck on some wet cardboard. Then you'll know :p

Wet cardboard (trans-2-nonenal) is definitely very common in beer (I assume because malt has some sort of precursor for it) but there are lots of other types of oxidation. This article is long and about wine but it does talk about some of the other flavors that are possible through oxidation.

http://imbibemagazine.com/Oxidized-Wines

You need to go to Kulminator and spend ~15e on a bottle from the 90's. I think they still have some that they'll sell outside of a vertical, but that's hearsay these days.

You need to go to Kulminator and spend ~15e on a bottle from the 90's. I think they still have some that they'll sell outside of a vertical, but that's hearsay these days.

Kulminator is pretty close to me, you just have to be lucky that Dirk is willing to look through all his bottles in the basement for the one you want... Next time I'm there I'll ask for an old Stille Nacht ;)

Latest posts

Back