Cellared Beer Reviews: February 2015

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedwards

Reaction score
16432716755_e494af2796.jpg

Label's long gone on this one, but it's a 2006 (bottled 2007) Oerbier Reserva. Nose is bright, slight acetic, smells like it's going to be powerfully sour. It's not -- the palate is mellow, sherry notes blending with pinot noir-like fruit and a leathery finish. This (along with the 2008) has long been a favorite vintage, and I think it's probably just starting its decline.

Figured I'd start posting in here as I'm trying to drink down a bunch of random shelf stuff turding up my cellar. It's a New Years resolution before I move.

2014 (last year) Double Crooked Tree. Stored cold in my beer fridge since I bought it for some reason.

Unsurprisingly the hops have mellowed and the malt is center stage. It has a sweet, cotton candy taste. Somewhat cloying. Not that bad though. Actually more enjoyable than the fresh one I had yesterday. A rare double IPA that actually gets better with age.

3.75/5

5TJqbUS.jpg

Opened a '12 Abyss tonight. Past it's prime for what I'm looking for. Lot of dark fruit and wine barrel coming through, but that's not what I want from a BA Stout. Granted even fresh I don't think this beer is what I'm looking for in a BA stout. "(28%) 6 Months in Bourbon, Oregon Oak, Pinot Noir" says to me a chintzy BA program at a non chintzy price.

That being said, compared to fresh, this was more Pinot and less bourbon. Doubt I'll ever buy this, or another BA Deschutes beer again.

ddcc0a61f9c6d1c91df58f53e407a6a2_640x640.jpg

Yesterday. IMO a year is required to drink this beer. Just starts to open up with the glorious malt and toffee notes. Hops just starting to age.

fba4df4bd1ed46e8b35d28b65c70efbc_640x640.jpg

2013. Tonight. Either aged too long or not that stellar of an American BW. Too smooth and falls flat. Bigfoot was superior.

Not really a review but more of a question based off a recent tasting experience.

Does grey monday have more hazelnut character when fresh? (Meaning, does the hazelnut fade?) Or is the hazelnut character very minimal to begin with?

I drank the 2013/14 lineup of BT/CR/GM and it was an interesting experience. I never realized just how much chocolate and vanilla chocolate rain had until I drank it alongside BT. GM on the other hand just tasted like a more solvent version of BT - no hazelnut to be found.

Great Divide Yeti bottled Jan 30 2014

Great Divide Yeti bottled Jan 29 2012

this beer is one of my favorites and ranks up there with FIS and Expedition Stout. Both of these bottles were absolutely delicious. The one year old flavor's are melded together better than fresh, its very roasty, quite bitter, full bodied, hints of chocolate and coffee. The three year old is still going strong, slightly smoother, a tad oxidized but not much at all, still has roasted flavors and not as bitter. Overall i bet this could go another year or two before the oxidation really settles in, but we will have to wait and see.

Bell's Batch 10K

Well oxidized with some woody character, some bread, maduro tobacco and leather on the nose. Flavor is well, meh - mostly alcohol, bitter, leather and cardboard. Goodbye to this beer. I could see why some would really find appeal to this beer, but to me it's waaaay over the hill.

Opened a '12 Abyss tonight. Past it's prime for what I'm looking for. Lot of dark fruit and wine barrel coming through, but that's not what I want from a BA Stout. Granted even fresh I don't think this beer is what I'm looking for in a BA stout. "(28%) 6 Months in Bourbon, Oregon Oak, Pinot Noir" says to me a chintzy BA program at a non chintzy price.

That being said, compared to fresh, this was more Pinot and less bourbon. Doubt I'll ever buy this, or another BA Deschutes beer again.
Why they changed the recipe in 2011 is still beyond me. 2010 is still totally delicious.

Not really a review but more of a question based off a recent tasting experience.

Does grey monday have more hazelnut character when fresh? (Meaning, does the hazelnut fade?) Or is the hazelnut character very minimal to begin with?
I drank a 2013 Grey Monday recently and perceived almost no hazelnut character, whatsoever. I remember there being far more hazelnut character when fresh, granted it was on-tap at The Bruery.

https://untappd.com/user/ehammond1/checkin/152087882

I drank the 2013/14 lineup of BT/CR/GM and it was an interesting experience. I never realized just how much chocolate and vanilla chocolate rain had until I drank it alongside BT. GM on the other hand just tasted like a more solvent version of BT - no hazelnut to be found.

My experience is that the hazelnut does fall off quickly.

I also find that chocolate rain changes dramatically in the first year. I love it fresh and don't find it too much better than Black Tuesday after 1 year.

My experience is that the hazelnut does fall off quickly.

I also find that chocolate rain changes dramatically in the first year. I love it fresh and don't find it too much better than Black Tuesday after 1 year.

Interesting... so you and ehammond1 agree on the hazelnut falling off. I never had it fresh to be able to form a solid opinion but it makes sense.

I dont think I can agree with your chocolate rain assessment though (unless there is batch/bottle variation.) When I had chocolate rain on its own (fresh and 1+ years age) I enjoyed it but like you didnt find it to be that much different from BT (from memory.) However, after just drinking a 2013 BT and 2013 CR side by side, the difference is noteworthy.

nGDgxib.png

Really nice beer. This was supposedly the batch that had a little incidental brett in it but it didn't taste bad at all. Very mellow, the flavors have really fused together. Nice sweetness with a good balance of dark chocolate and fruit. If it does have brett I am only getting the nice cherry esters no horseblanket or funkiness or sourness. Nice round barrel character. Excellent beer.

The old A Le Coq stouts were one of the first really exciting beers I ever had, but the old bottles were all straight-corked (like wine) and being stored upright, generally became over-oxidized even for me. So when the 2008 vintage came out in capped bottles, I bought a case... just opened it and this is the first one I've had since 2010 or so.

16370403057_6012f84122_z.jpg

Nose has a distinct tart edge and that slight acrid note that comes from roastiness + brett -- like a very light roast coffee with a bit of raspberry in it. Pleased to see that the carbonation is not excessive given the intentional infection in this beer. Tart cherry, blackcurrant, a little chocolate, some licorice, nuttiness on the finish. Significantly improves as it warms -- the acrid edge drops off and I get more wine & leather out of it. Definitely a more sour beer than the Courage, will be quite interested to see where it goes over the next couple decades.

Pannepot 2010:

d9127e853ed3185ab72ee77b4f26e0d4_640x640.jpg

It's doing well, though not where I want it to be. Not quite to pure "plum syrup", but it's there in the smell and the taste. Still a bit of bitter aftertaste, and it's a bit drier than I like (which is somewhat worrying for long-term aging since I don't expect that to change). Grooving on it though.

Incidentally (and maybe paging jedwards here) is there a proper glassware for Pannepot? I don't really care for the regular Struise glass, but if that's what a man's gotta do...

Incidentally (and maybe paging jedwards here) is there a proper glassware for Pannepot? I don't really care for the regular Struise glass, but if that's what a man's gotta do...

The only Struise glasses I've seen are the two sizes of cervoise, and the Black Damnation taster. A Pannepot glass would be awesome, though.

I honestly don't know much about the brewing process for the A Le Coq, though I suppose I could just ask them (it's kind of a weird beer from them, but it's definitely infected/inoculated/contaminated/whatever you'd like to call it -- I called it "infected" because it's an apt descriptor for the cellaring forum, in that the result is a flavor you might expect of an unintentionally infected stout), but e.g. the old Courages were matured in oak barrels which gave them their brett & anything else they may have had -- likely one reason they've aged so well. Unfortunately those old barrels were destroyed when the brewery closed. There are a number of brewers attempting to reculture those old yeasts, like Buxton for their Tsar Bomba, but with mixed success.

Hence the term "intentional infection." Given that it's brett only, you could argue it's "intentional contamination," as bacteria aren't involved.

I know it's semantics but that's like saying lambic is infected, or yogurt is infected. If it's supposed to be there, it isn't an infection.

Believe this was 2013.

AXiTvuu.jpg

Cork popped out before I even got the cage off, gushed everywhere, flavor was straight band aids. So bad. Had to dump it.

2eupfs6.jpg

well, it certainly isn't what it was 9 years ago. very muted flavors. barrel taste is just barely hanging in there. it's just very mellow bourbon and not much else. thin. aggressive pour yielded a small head that went away quickly.

still enjoying it, though

Last edited:
Mid 90's Alexander Rodenbach is still drinking marvelously for a 20 year aged beer - my only regret is the bottle size.

i was ripped up on friday and got into a bunch of bottles because it was my buddy's 40th birthday. here are my very abridged notes on the ones i thought were worth mentioning

eclipse masterpiece is the ****ing truth. it also made me realize i do not like something about the newest (2014 batch of eclipse) the 3 "normal" bottles i opened vanilla coffee, 30 year spanish rum and single malt all have a citrus/carbonic bite to them that distracts from the barrel flavoring. perhaps its just that this is the freshest ive ever drank a bottle(s) of eclipse?

bourbon county cherry rye is awesome. was taken back by the greatness of that rich, tart cherry flavor
bourbon county backyard is even better with tons of juicy/tannic berry character

the newest batch of fantome ete tastes like straight pear juice...polar opposite from the last bottle i opened not long ago. tomes being tomes... was not a big fan of this one

hair of the dog adam batch 62 (2004) super leathery and smokey. chocolate starting to integrate with oxidation. probably gonna drink another one of these soon on a fresh palate since i got a couple left that should be drank

2010 hunahpu - peppers are gone. zero alcohol. decadent chocolate and just a richness to this without being sweet that slays me.

edit: not cross posting pics. will put them all in the proper thread

hair of the dog adam batch 62 (2004) super leathery and smokey. chocolate starting to integrate with oxidation. probably gonna drink another one of these soon on a fresh palate since i got a couple left that should be drank

Beers that need to be drank sooner than later you say!?

Following up on previous discussion, from Michael Jackson:
Harvey's is making the British version of Le Coq Imperial Stout. It is a huge beer, with the classically woody, resinous, tar-like flavors of the style, and made an enormous impact in D.C. It has an original gravity of 1106, and an alcohol content of at least 9.5 per cent by volume (7.6w). The malts are Pale Ale (Maris Otter) and an unusual blend of older, darker styles: amber, brown and black. The hops are Sussex Fuggles and East Kent Goldings. The beer is conditioned for at least 12 months, in closed stainless-steel vessels. During this period, a wild yeast fermentation develops. The yeast is of a strain called Debaromyces hansenii, catalogued in 1924. It is similar to Brettanomyces. Brewer Miles Jenner believes the strain is airborne. The other possibility is that it is an element of the house yeast but, in the manner of Brettanomyces, emerges only in the course of a long maturation.
And from the Brewer's Association:
The beer was generally matured in oak vats. It is said that Russian Stout for the domestic market was taken out of bond and rolled around the yard each month to "simulate the effect of the treatment it would have received in transit to the Baltic." If true it is a good way of keeping yeast in suspension. It is at this stage that Brettanomyces claussenii could be added if required. In the 1800s to 1900s the beer would have naturally contained a range of microorganisms along with brewers yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, with additional infection being picked up from the storage casks. Harveys Brewery found that their own brewing yeast strain has a low infection of Debaromyces hansenii, which does not manifest itself in their main brands but is only noticeable after a long lag phase, where it contributes to the final flavor of the beer. The choice of whether to add any "deliberate" infection is personal and difficult to control. It may add a unique character and taste or may only serve to ruin a great beer.

Latest posts

Back