Cellared Beer Reviews: January 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barleywinefiend

Reaction score
watch

2010 Czar. Not doing so well. I smelled a wee bit of green funkiness. Past it prime..stored at cellar temp since 2010. Sad considering the ABV.
1509084_10152148832474919_1430150591_n.jpg

PS..my odd year 2011 Stone Belgo Anise made me **** from my mouth..still gross...

watch

2010 Czar. Not doing so well. I smelled a wee bit of green funkiness. Past it prime..stored at cellar temp since 2010. Sad considering the ABV.

PS..my odd year 2011 Stone Belgo Anise made me **** from my mouth..still gross...

I opened one up a few months ago and it was just terrible. Haven't had an aged Czar I really liked.

watch

Bummer, I am pretty sure I have a 2010 tucked away.

After seeing this interview with the guys from Avery it seems like they really aren't that pro-aging, I wonder if that factors into how they make their beer?

http://www.focusonthebeer.com/2013/02/cellarmanship-interview-with-avery.html

Too much beer in the cellar and not enough storage space (let alone under proper conditions) in the new apartment. Time to start visiting this thread regularly.

Maine Beer Co. Mean Old Tom, bottled Dec. 1, 2012
WV3BkHW.jpg

Started out mildly roasty and very chocolately. Unsurprisingly, the vanilla has largely faded from the aroma, but there's still a touch of vanilla flavor on the back end. Got roastier as it warmed up, coffee with just a touch of milk. Creamy and smooth going down. Still vurr' nice.

Last edited:
A few of my notes from our NYE cellared beer extravaganza:

King's Ale (brewed 1902, bottled 1929 or earlier): The best-condition bottle I've ever opened, most of the red wax still intact. I held the bottle at an angle to dampen the cork for a few months prior to opening, and it came out quite easily for this bottle. Nice mellow oxidative tartness, an interesting spicy component to the typical iodine peat flavor, some burning wood dryness. Great bottle.

"Courage" RIS 1962 (called Courage-Barclay at this point): Not my favorite bottle, strong musty nose and very drying on the palate. Good leather/sherry flavor but lacking something in the great bottles of this era.

Samichlaus 1994 & 2004: Both terrific, in very different ways. The 1994 bottle was quite toffee/sweet with a touch of must, the 2004 was a bright caramel without the darker sugar flavors of the '94.

Raison d'Extra 2005: Crazy fusel/brown sugar nose, good flavor but very hot. I think the 2007 aged the best of these old releases, glad to hear it's coming back in 2014.

J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale 1989 & 1997: The 1989's gone on a little long -- the mouthfeel has a watery texture and there's some definite basement must/bleu cheese creeping in. Still tasty, but the '97 was a much better representation of how I like this beer to age (huge brown sugar/treacle without being cloying, sherry on the nose, etc). Alternately, I think the 97/98 bottles might just be spectacular, been my favorite for awhile now.

Allied Skol 1977 Strong Lager (brewed for the Silver Jubilee): My first time having this one, a very nicely aged bottle. Thin body, a bit of musty funk, slight oxidative tartness, very sweet on the finish.

Bellevue Selection Lambic 1999: Awesome, just awesome. Powerful, puckering sourness with a lot of tropical fruit and cheesy funk on the back end, almost like if the deep mellow sourness of an aged lambic came to the forefront. Has aged quite well.

Bummer, I am pretty sure I have a 2010 tucked away.

After seeing this interview with the guys from Avery it seems like they really aren't that pro-aging, I wonder if that factors into how they make their beer?

http://www.focusonthebeer.com/2013/02/cellarmanship-interview-with-avery.html

I don't get these guys but I love 'em and what they do. Almost every beer in the Demon or Dictator series needs some cellar time...if you've ever had a 6 year old Beast or Samael's you know what I mean. $$$.

A few of my notes from our NYE cellared beer extravaganza:

King's Ale (brewed 1902, bottled 1929 or earlier): The best-condition bottle I've ever opened, most of the red wax still intact. I held the bottle at an angle to dampen the cork for a few months prior to opening, and it came out quite easily for this bottle. Nice mellow oxidative tartness, an interesting spicy component to the typical iodine peat flavor, some burning wood dryness. Great bottle.

"Courage" RIS 1962 (called Courage-Barclay at this point): Not my favorite bottle, strong musty nose and very drying on the palate. Good leather/sherry flavor but lacking something in the great bottles of this era.

Samichlaus 1994 & 2004: Both terrific, in very different ways. The 1994 bottle was quite toffee/sweet with a touch of must, the 2004 was a bright caramel without the darker sugar flavors of the '94.

Raison d'Extra 2005: Crazy fusel/brown sugar nose, good flavor but very hot. I think the 2007 aged the best of these old releases, glad to hear it's coming back in 2014.

J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale 1989 & 1997: The 1989's gone on a little long -- the mouthfeel has a watery texture and there's some definite basement must/bleu cheese creeping in. Still tasty, but the '97 was a much better representation of how I like this beer to age (huge brown sugar/treacle without being cloying, sherry on the nose, etc). Alternately, I think the 97/98 bottles might just be spectacular, been my favorite for awhile now.

Allied Skol 1977 Strong Lager (brewed for the Silver Jubilee): My first time having this one, a very nicely aged bottle. Thin body, a bit of musty funk, slight oxidative tartness, very sweet on the finish.

Bellevue Selection Lambic 1999: Awesome, just awesome. Powerful, puckering sourness with a lot of tropical fruit and cheesy funk on the back end, almost like if the deep mellow sourness of an aged lambic came to the forefront. Has aged quite well.

Those are some pretty sweet reviews and beers. Bravo!

yO21qgN.jpg

2007 Abyss. Pours clean & smooth with a nice tan head. Aromatics are spot on. Mocha/ dark baking chocolate w/some oaky/cedar notes floating around. This is rich & full. Mostly savory, roasted flavors, but with some chocolate underpinning that brings it together. Supple mouthfeel & dangerously easy to drink. One of, if not the best cellared beers I've ever had.

Yesterday, I "dozed" with the Bill "Dozer" Rabb. The results.
1520673_10152156364099919_2071117301_n.jpg

2010 Berserker. $$$. This was the best surprise by far. This thing still had plenty of maple, chocolate and barrel going. Very well rounded and f'n awesome. Not a trace of oxidation.
1484277_10152156364169919_1038109954_n.jpg

2011 Obliteration. Holy Hell. Still hopped to death. Still pushing 100+ IBU's, big citrus hop presence, still burns and still living up to its name. I would say this thing should say in the cellar for at least five more years!
1503245_10152156364294919_229495573_n.jpg

2012 BBN Dogfather. Hints of toasted grains, chocolate, light bourbon with a moderate oxidation. I would say this one is donesy.
577752_10152156366119919_412960478_n.jpg

2012 BCBS Coffee. Coffee is still in your face. Nice big char, good amount of barrel but that coffee has only slightly faded. Impressive.
154430_10152156366289919_890927980_n.jpg

2013 Hellshire III. Nice and dry with a thinner body than most would want from a BA Stout. But it is a Foreign/Export Stout so it's not as full, very dry with a nice amount of cocoa, barrel, a wee bit of green funkiness as I call it, probably natural barrel bugs. Another year tops.
1558549_10152156366524919_610221680_n.jpg

2011 Imperial Stout Trooper. Going pretty strong. Another two years before it peaks. Plenty of milk chocolate, nice roastiness, light hint of coffee. No signs of oxidation.

yO21qgN.jpg

2007 Abyss. Pours clean & smooth with a nice tan head. Aromatics are spot on. Mocha/ dark baking chocolate w/some oaky/cedar notes floating around. This is rich & full. Mostly savory, roasted flavors, but with some chocolate underpinning that brings it together. Supple mouthfeel & dangerously easy to drink. One of, if not the best cellared beers I've ever had.

Ahhhh... you pulled out a "real" Abyss. Very nice.

Mini PNW Sourfest
2012 Blueberry is better than the original IMP. Less must and more lacto blueberry in yo' face
1551680_10152170245679919_979683404_n.jpg

2013 De Garde Lee Noir. Cellared this bottle for a few months and not as good as the bottle as Libbey and I split just weeks ago...hmmmmmm, safe and boring.
1530500_10152170245544919_372848281_n.jpg

Some NE/New England love from Friday/Saturday...
1557659_10152169939849919_673723_n.jpg

2012 Druid Fluid a pleasant surprise. A bit chewy still, no oxidation, a bit sweet, lots of toffee but holding it's own quite well.
1545010_10152169940064919_2096463845_n.jpg

2012. Smuttynose. One of my favorite, most underrated breweries ever. Really Old Brown Dog can hit the level of American Strong Ale or a Imperial Brown if such existed?!.
Big toffee, light chocolate and caramel presence, moderate booze but the amount of nuts in this beer is awesome. Great flavor and so smooth
1557470_10152169940694919_1086510889_n.jpg

2012 SA Griffins Bow. No comment.
1535583_10152169941699919_693060931_n.jpg

2012 Heavy Seas Below Decks is quite enjoyable and has held its own. A lot of toffee here, a light cloying sweetness and caramel. Booze is moderate. No oxidation, infection or major issues.

9b532024513716a3f5ea16ddabe5a787_640x640.jpg

2009 Yeti. I remember picking this dude up when I was still in school several years ago. Improperly stored in kitchen cabinets, closets and dirty basements. I expected an oxidized mess of a beer but instead I got a creamy, full bodied liquified s'more. Totally amazing. This Yeti has a lot to show for the last 4+ years.

9b532024513716a3f5ea16ddabe5a787_640x640.jpg

2009 Yeti. I remember picking this dude up when I was still in school several years ago. Improperly stored in kitchen cabinets, closets and dirty basements. I expected an oxidized mess of a beer but instead I got a creamy, full bodied liquified s'more. Totally amazing. This Yeti has a lot to show for the last 4+ years.
I'm not sure what Great Divide does in addition to making solid bases but every Yeti or Ruffian I have ever cellared holds its own..including all variations.

This is sort of a cellared beer review -- Sam Adams brought bottles of 1994 Triple Bock to Vail Big Beers yesterday. They'd been stored on their side at the brewery since production (!), and they were fantastic. I've had bottles of TB before which I've enjoyed aspects of, but (aside from some bits of cork and sediment) I would call these bottles a genuinely great beer. A bit of smoked meat/Worcester sauce on the nose along with maple and port notes, the body was sweet and rich with no soy sauce that I could detect. Slight tingly alcohol burn, more vinous maple and a touch of peaty iodine, long maple syrup/port finish. Really excellent. I've one bottle of '94 in my cellar that is original-owner-before-me, supposedly stored on its side the whole time, and I'm now very excited for it.

1012918_612083762178286_1336637120_n.jpg

When I started getting into craft beer in 2009 I bought 3 Chimay GRs to cellar. Hit the 5 year mark this month and decide to compare side by side with a fresh one. Amazing to see the difference time makes on this beer. The 09 has a very grape/wine taste to it, followed with hints of chocolate. I don't see one as "better" than the other, both different and great in its on way. The other 2 will be opened at the 10 and 15 year mark.

On a side note.. this beer takes me back to 2009 and to my life then.. weird how much can change in 5 years. Cheers everyone!

This is sort of a cellared beer review -- Sam Adams brought bottles of 1994 Triple Bock to Vail Big Beers yesterday. They'd been stored on their side at the brewery since production (!), and they were fantastic. I've had bottles of TB before which I've enjoyed aspects of, but (aside from some bits of cork and sediment) I would call these bottles a genuinely great beer. A bit of smoked meat/Worcester sauce on the nose along with maple and port notes, the body was sweet and rich with no soy sauce that I could detect. Slight tingly alcohol burn, more vinous maple and a touch of peaty iodine, long maple syrup/port finish. Really excellent. I've one bottle of '94 in my cellar that is original-owner-before-me, supposedly stored on its side the whole time, and I'm now very excited for it.

Stored on the side? I can see how this would be good (and trust me, not trying to get into this conversation/argument) but I find it funny that the brewery stored them on their side since production, while simultaneously stating on the booklet that they should be stored upright until opening. Is this a known thing that they should be stored this way? Is it worth laying down horizontally a bottle I have (below) that I'm not sure of previous cellaring position?

Just acquired a bottle of '94 myself that is in excellent condition, visually, although I don't know enough about the previous owner's cellaring to know how it was treated. Looking forward to trying it soon.

I find it funny that the brewery stored them on their side since production, while simultaneously stating on the booklet that they should be stored upright until opening.

Oh, likewise. I very much doubt the person who was there pouring was present in '94, so we have no way of knowing, and it's certainly possible that they were upright for awhile then on their side. The corks were fragile and many broke, but they were obviously soaked through with liquid, so they've definitely been on their sides for quite awhile (in my experience, long-upright bottles of TB will experience so much cork degradation that if you later try to turn it on its side, it will leak). My strategy with these and other straight-corked bottles that I acquire late in their life is to build a little cardboard basket that will keep the bottle at a hard angle, but not quite at the point where liquid inside the bottle would reach the lower edge of the lip of the opening.

Oh, likewise. I very much doubt the person who was there pouring was present in '94, so we have no way of knowing, and it's certainly possible that they were upright for awhile then on their side. The corks were fragile and many broke, but they were obviously soaked through with liquid, so they've definitely been on their sides for quite awhile (in my experience, long-upright bottles of TB will experience so much cork degradation that if you later try to turn it on its side, it will leak). My strategy with these and other straight-corked bottles that I acquire late in their life is to build a little cardboard basket that will keep the bottle at a hard angle, but not quite at the point where liquid inside the bottle would reach the lower edge of the lip of the opening.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice and info. Just want to make sure I understand your suggestion here - I'm attempting to make the liquid contact the cork, just not enough that it can then leak? (Kind of irrelevant for me to even ask the question, as I'm going to open it soon enough that I don't think it matters, but I'm curious in the future).

Yup, exactly. It seems to be less helpful with TBs because their corks are kind of terrible regardless, though they were getting most of the corks out successfully at the festival. I've found it particularly helpful with e.g. Bass royal ales that tend to have corks which have mostly dried out at the top. E.g. this is the cork of a King's Ale that I treated as described for about five months before opening -- the top of the cork was powdery and dry, but we were able to remove the entire cork intact:

11934604736_d6f070cc9e_o.jpg

Yup, exactly. It seems to be less helpful with TBs because their corks are kind of terrible regardless, though they were getting most of the corks out successfully at the festival. I've found it particularly helpful with e.g. Bass royal ales that tend to have corks which have mostly dried out at the top. E.g. this is the cork of a King's Ale that I treated as described for about five months before opening -- the top of the cork was powdery and dry, but we were able to remove the entire cork intact:

Awesome. So you're basically just rehydrating the cork (or at least the bottom part), which helps hold it together. Thanks again!

Opened up a 2010 Kuhnhenn Solar Eclipse (label was Summer Solstice - I'm pretty sure that this was released at 2011 SS). I've heard a few reports that these (or maybe it was the 2010 release, from 2010 Winter Solistice, or maybe the release from 2010 Summer Solstice) had gone tart/dun got infected. No hiss on opening .. that was a good sign. Jammed my nose in the neck .. no cherries. Poured, got a decent little head. First sip - success! No whammies, no infection. Sweet as hell though, but in a good long evening sipper sort of way. Honestly, it took me a really long time to polish off. Anyway, the 18(?)% was there, somewhere under that cloying sweetness. I enjoyed my drinking it. At the last 1/3rd of the glass, I introduced a hagen-dasz nutty chocolate covered icecream as a 'palate cleanser' and it did wonders. Three thumbs up.

I'm not sure what Great Divide does in addition to making solid bases but every Yeti or Ruffian I have ever cellared holds its own..including all variations.
The actual barrel aged ones (blue labels) do not age well. I was told they are usually infected. This one was for sure.

zEP1wOf.jpg

We opened a 2009 Angel's Share on Friday night and then at Big Beers, Lost Abbey was serving a 2008. Not much difference at all in taste. Both were amazing but surprisingly the '08 had more carb than the one my buddy brought up.

sQeiyCm.jpg

We also opened a 2010 Abyss. I have never had any age of it but let me say the 2010 was incredible. One of my highlights for the night.

wgbhA4e.jpg

The actual barrel aged ones (blue labels) do not age well. I was told they are usually infected. This one was for sure.

zEP1wOf.jpg

We opened a 2009 Angel's Share on Friday night and then at Big Beers, Lost Abbey was serving a 2008. Not much difference at all in taste. Both were amazing but surprisingly the '08 had more carb than the one my buddy brought up.

sQeiyCm.jpg

We also opened a 2010 Abyss. I have never had any age of it but let me say the 2010 was incredible. One of my highlights for the night.

wgbhA4e.jpg

Yeah. I'm not a fan of the Stranahan barrel influence on the BA Yet's or Ruffians.

2011 Silver City Old Scrooge BBN BA Bwine. #46 of 156. Drinking great, probably at peak. Barrel is balanced with the base beer so no overpowering bourbon here. The only drawback is the diacetyl in this beer is noticeable, more so in the non BA 2011's but still there. It's a little slick and buttery at times.
2012 Silver City Imperial Red on Rye Whiskey Barrel. Very sweet. The booze was moderate and pleasing but the beer had a long stickiness which clung to the palate. It tasted good but the mouthfeel was yet to be desired.
1544960_10152186095944919_1085125301_n.jpg
1502485_10152180321889919_1902121371_n.jpg

Some PNW Bwine turds. 2009 Scuttlebutt Old No. 1 Bwine weighing in at 13.3 ABV. This beer is holding on...the carbonation is dwindling from the bottle. A nice amount of brown sugar, toffee remain but the booze has tapered off. A wee bit of buttery slickness on the finish. No oxidation! I had a 1/6 bbl of this at home back in 2011 and it was amazingly good and still hot draft. So good, I killed the keg in 30 days, solo. I also gained ten pounds that month if I recall. This beer has some flaws but it's a champ. holding its own and going the distance. Very impressive. The other gem is a 2009 Ice Harbor Bwine. I usually think Ice Harbor is an epic fail but they do one thing right...barleywine. I've had numerous vintages of this barleywine ranging back to 2007 and all of them have been awesome. This 2009 had a moderate residual sweetness with no infection or oxidation, carbonation was great, flavor was amazing...I could still taste a nice robust blend of caramel malt, brown sugar and citrus hop profile.
1510956_10152184191814919_1756879707_n.jpg

Is that a finger?

9e308acaf94052d4b708f7125faadc3f_640x640.jpg

Finally tracked down this long time want. I think this is a 2011 bottle? Twist off cap. I expected a flat, coffee-less stout and was quite surprised. Not unlike Beer Geek Brunch Weasel with those deep roasted coffee notes. Plenty of coffee presence in both the nose and taste. Imagine iced coffee mochas, chocolate bars, cream, khalua etc. A very nice and creamy body. Totally awesome. Would love to try this fresh or out of a barrel.

Cross-posted in the Intihar and DDT threads. Smuttynose Ry(e)an Ale. I believe this is from the 2012 batch, but I'm not positive.
3lC5UWx.jpg

Very low carbonation, but my understanding is that's just how this beer is. Poured the color of unfiltered apple cider, and I got a couple of floaties in the glass as a bonus. Aroma is dark fruits, rye spice, and plenty of barrel character. Starts off promising with raisins and toffee, still a good amount of rye whiskey, and then a really unpleasant, aggressively solvent thing; not sure if fusel tones, or just really oxidized. Definitely something amiss, and it's probably my fault for holding on to it for too long. Kind of a bummer, because I came across this bottle in the move, and I was really excited to crack it.

1004947_710494571615_1772133416_n.jpg

She's gone. No bourbon left in the nose or taste. That's not a total loss to me though since I love those old oxidized barleywine flavors. Some sweet fruits but mostly graham cracker and cardboard.

1526662_710496572605_1197289005_n.jpg

Doing better than the Arctic Devil that's 2 years older, but still the bourbon is almost gone and all that's left is sweet rich caramel flavored cardboard.

BA Barleywines aren't doing so well out of my cellar

1526662_710496572605_1197289005_n.jpg

Doing better than the Arctic Devil that's 2 years older, but still the bourbon is almost gone and all that's left is sweet rich caramel flavored cardboard.

BA Barleywines aren't doing so well out of my cellar
I don't think BA Barleywines ever really do well out of the cellar. Some do, but it's far more likely for them to lose their spirit flavor and just go full-on oxidation. Non-BA barleywines fare far better.

muskabeatz was kind enough to host a tasting last weekend. Guy I've not met before but will be on the positive end of a future shitting from my cellar brought this one:

12197556303_893c05e7f5_c.jpg

Much better than from draft. This was clearly carbonated, to start. Aromas of slightly tart raisins up front, but the sharp tartness is overwhelmed by the sweeter fruits. As it opens, lemons become more dominating in the aroma. Taste is similar at first to the taste. Tart dark fruits upfront move quickly to much sweeter, maltier fruits. At first, this is a lot an older Consecration. Over a few sips, the tartness really picks up and there is more evidence of cherries along with the sweet raisin/plum notes, adding some nice lemon as well.

This one is clearly not like it began ~6yrs ago, but it isn't dead like it is made out to be. I'd happily partake in this one again. At this point, I have no real recommendation on whether to drink it or to just forget you even have it for another 5+ years. If I had one, I'd probably just hide it somewhere.

Dark Force by Haand Bryggeriet. Bottled on 03/2008, best by 03/2012. Batch #144. This was found languishing on the shelf a few months ago. I'm assuming it'd been sitting there since Shelton Bros used to distribute in KS.
Vinous, lots of stone fruit, roasted chocolate malts, and a very nutty finish. I'm assuming that nuttiness is actually what's left of the wheat. Smooth and mellow body. Doing great despite being almost six years old

909a0a295389f5ded231f666dc7922e1_640x640.jpg

OldStockCR09_zps2cec9901.jpg

Slightly oxidized but holding up really well. Booze has mellowed out quite a bit but is still there. This could probably age longer, but I don't imagine it improving much more. It's drinking amazing right now.

OldStockCR09_zps2cec9901.jpg

Slightly oxidized but holding up really well. Booze has mellowed out quite a bit but is still there. This could probably age longer, but I don't imagine it improving much more. It's drinking amazing right now.
Now if it were only $10 cheaper...

Back