Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. michael

michael

Decorating for the holidays with my wife and I accidentally knocked a 2012 Bigfoot off a shelf in the cellar carrying some boxes. It miraculously didn't shatter, just gushed through the cap seal. I lost about a third of the bottle but poured the other half for me and my wife. It's in a good place right now. Last time I opened a 2012 maybe a year or so ago it was not very good. This bottle is like vanilla ice cream with butterscotch sauce and Skör bars, with some hops to keep it all balanced. Carb is also on point. Enjoying the hell out of this right now.

2. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]

Throwback from my #newmoney days. 2016 Autumn Maple on the left, 2011 on the right. Yeah, the washed out, sunbleached label and cap is the new version.

Anyway, five years did a number on this beer. Super sweet sherry oxidation, no sign of spices. The base beer and malt profile is still noticeable, but it was a struggle to finish the Lime-a-Rita glass.

BulkCarrier, GRDave, Treebs and 7 others like this.
  3. greg4579

greg4579

Cracked a 2013 Great Lakes Blackout Stout. This is my favorite RIS and I feel it needs 6 months to let the hops fade.

This one was tasty as usual, but I did notice some slight oxidation setting in. Plan to check a 2012 soon to confirm if the oxidation pushes past where I like it.

I like that this RIS is easily obtainable and I always get at least a few 4-packs each year to cellar/drink.

4. brother rebus

brother rebus

Cracked an Innsmouth Olde Ale. Was brewed back in late 4/2015. About a yr & half olde.

Looks less coppery brown and more like comacola. Plenny bubbles still.
    Smells like a medecin and molasses-slathered piece of grain bread. Some dark fruit too.
    Tastes a bit bland. Malty as anything though Watered down coke. But thinner. Less acidic.
    Bubbles dont carry much over the pallet. Seems to have a pretty weak body for 7%.
    Overall glad this was the last one of the pack. Pretty bad. Not that fun to drink. Fail.

5. I feel like these reviews of Bruery beers are pretty much the same. They don't age.

[​IMG]

Batch 1 (2013?) and shit on the hood of an F150. Same as it ever was. Musty white grapes, pronounced tart & sour notes, light body, hides alcohol very well, a french oak like presence, dry, mild funk, still a 50/50 wine/beer tasting blend, mild hay, decent acidity, enjoyable, unique.

6. KevinC

KevinC

Found that I have way too much beer while packing it to move. Also found a few of these:

[​IMG]

So of course I had to open one. It's hard to see, but it's a Brooklyn Black Chocolate from Winter '12-'13. I had one of these in...May I wanna say and thought they were gone. It was straight paper then, so I wasn't excited for this.

But, man, was I pleasantly surprised. It's definitely oxidized, but in that integrated way that makes it seem more fortified wine-like than wet newspaper. All the expected dark fruits, but a good bit of baker's cocoa too. Slight tobacco char that I don't remember this having much of fresh. Less one-dimensional. Makes me wonder if this beer's aging trajectory is more sine wave than bell curve, but it ain't lambic so I doubt I'll have the patience to find out.

7. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

8. souredstouts

souredstouts

A lot of me wishes they kept that label.

GRDave and beerandraiderfan like this.
  9. brother rebus

brother rebus

Carve out a pumpkin and rely on your destiny

10. KevSal

KevSal

had a little vert tonight. cracked this guy open
    [​IMG]

saved it for a long time, apperently too long. it was very very good but on the decline for sure. slight oxidation and oddly a bit boozy.

had it next to this guy

[​IMG]

2011 is a stellar, this is prime for bcbs! huge flavor punch, really wish i had more of these guys left! no booze, all chocolate bourbon

dammit do i miss the 4 packs...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  11. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

I've come to the conclusion that 90ish% of crooked stave beers hold up well or get better with some time. 14' blueberry petite sour tonight. No pic because I threw the bottle at a train.

Sender1, CornAndBeer, Beer4B and 11 others like this.
  12. Snarf

Snarf

I've come to the conculsion that if Crooked Stave brewed 90% less beers, they'd be a much better brewery.

Sender1, jdhende, CruisaC and 14 others like this.
  13. NAD1983

NAD1983

Ha!

GRDave and McGrupp612 like this.
  14. chtoder

chtoder

[​IMG]
    Opened this today, coffee has faded a bit to balance out the barrel character. Yum!

15. brother rebus

brother rebus

Last night I got in touch with my Shania Twain. Lit some incense, lit some bud, and took an epsom salt bath, while watching ice luge and bob sled on mute.
    Cracked a KBS from 2014 for this ordeal:
    Looked as jet black and syrupy as ever. No head. Smelled a bit chcolatey, not much coffee at all on the nose. Couldnt pick up any vanilla tones nor wood. Some booze though.
    Tasted pretty much as bourbon as it did to start. But the nuances have all seemed to disappear; oak, vanilla, coffee, all seem to be basically gone and muddled. Its sweet too. Chocolatey sweet whisky.
    It has somehow thinned out it seems too. The carbonation is basically the same. But the syrupy pour was decieving. It just doesnt seem to have the same consistency.
    Overall, will not ever age this beer again. I had heard that it wasnt great for aging, but never tried my self. Lesson learnt.

16. davey101

davey101

Speed reviews!

11/28/2012 - Good but on the decline
    [​IMG]

2012 - garbage
    [​IMG]

11/2015 - awesome
    [​IMG]

7/2015 - awesome
    [​IMG]

11/2014 - surprisingly good. Less of a marzen and more of an oud bruin.
    [​IMG]

17. Shakedwnst

Shakedwnst

Had 13-16 from kegs earlier this year and it seems like there's a lot of batch variation. The 13 was the best, 14 infected, and 15 just didn't hold up well.

18. brother rebus

brother rebus

Maybe the 14 bottle i had was off. I wouldnt say infected. But just not that good.

GRDave and landrewg like this.
  19. Shakedwnst

Shakedwnst

The keg pour I had was sour. Could barely drink it

GRDave likes this.
  20. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]

I believe K15B11 is February 2011 bottle date. Almost six years on this bad boy and it's holding super well. Big dark fruits emblematic of La Trappe's quad are still prominent. Body may be a little thinner and just a hint of oxidation. Held up very well and even had solid carb. I forgot how much I love this beer and it was fun to try this with a decent amount of age.