Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. A week and no cellar reviews?

Sometimes I keep the last of a 4/6 pack way back in one of the beer fridges. Sometimes its because its terrible, sometimes its because I want to keep one on hand until they remake it (Guinness 250th anniversary for instance).

Anyways, found a MGD 64 Lemonade and Bud Select 55 the other day. Being that it was not lemonade weather, opted for the 55. . .

[​IMG]

Tasted like old water. Like when you have that glass of water on your nightstand, and you go on vacation, and you come back and the chlorine has turned in it, and all the dust particles over that time period came to rest inside your glass of water. No malt, no hops, no yeast flavors. Just old water that someone spilled a tiny amount of beer in.

2. KevSal

KevSal

i need to get my hands on that vintage! sounds like they really nailed the water-with -split-beer ratio!
    i got some old beers on deck, hopefully a review or 2 soon

3. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]
    Continuing burning through things I shouldn't really be cellaring from my cellar. This was actually pretty good. I remember this being ginger-bready when fresh. That's all gone and it's mellowed out quite well. There is some noticeable oxidation that got a lot more prominent as it warmed. I'd probably knock my Untappd rating down a bit if I had rated it when it had warmed. The oxidation is going to be a problem real soon.

4. drgarage

drgarage

Can't tell: BA or regular?

5. matedog

matedog

Just regular.

6. KevSal

KevSal

as promised finally cracking some of those old beers i have on deck, up first
    [​IMG]

i loved this one fresh, spruce tips really added a nice sweetness to it. the oak version was on of my favorite beers at the time

this one carries the big spruce sweetness still bit the rest of the beer is defferently a shell of its former self

gets even worse with the taste unfortunately, spruce tips is still there but oxidation has taken over, a bit too stale at this point fellas. drink em if you got it, while it still has some good flavors

cheers

7. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

Bottled 01/23/06. Liquid raisons and loads of chocolate. No carbonation. Thin body. Pretty good despite being almost 11 years old.

thebandit1, CruisaC, Kirkse and 18 others like this.
  8. iong516

iong516

[​IMG]

1/28/14

Developing really nicely, but I can't imagine another year or few hurting anything.

thebandit1, CruisaC, Kirkse and 15 others like this.
  9. davey101

davey101

5 years really does seem to the max for me. Starting to take on some light oxidation but still wonderful.
    [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

2011 bottle. Drank Thanksgiving 2016.

Black pour, brown head, 1/3", carbonation right where it should be. Chocolate nose, bourbon, wood, great balance, no booziness. Taste didn't leave me with any oxidation notes, very smooth, easy drinking, covered heat well. Tastes like older viscosity, this time with carbonation. Its good and kind of exactly what you come to expect from a bourbon barrel stout.

I like the beer, but heaven forbid if I would ever wait in line for it. Usual "but Parabola on shelves" comparison. Parabola aside, I can still just walk into a Winco and drop $15 for a barrel aged imperial stout (scytale) that is a substitute good for this beer. Eclipse is right up the road too. Plus you know, Track 10 from the same brewery is markedly better than this one.

If I was truly ranking barrel aged stouts in California. . .

I don't think this cracks the top 20. But it is still very good, its just there are very good substitute goods out there and this does nothing unique.

11. stupac2

stupac2

[​IMG]

Etre decided to send me yet more 2014 Westy, so I opened one of the others I had. It's coming along, developing some nice fig flavors and there's a touch of caramel, but it's not all that close to where I want it. Also: super duper carbed, holy crap even for a Belgian style it was a lot.

As I said, I have a bunch of these, at least 12 now, and not very many '13/'15, so if anyone wants to do a swap, lmk.

12. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

I have a couple that I purchased this summer in Belgium that I believe are '15 if interested. I can double check the date if you know where to look (I do not).

GRDave and stupac2 like this.
  13. stupac2

stupac2

It's printed on the cap, should be of the form DD.MM.YY where "YY" is actually "last two digits of bottling year plus 3", so a '15 would say XX.YY.18. The ink tends to rub off pretty easily, though, sometimes it's really hard to read.

And that would be pretty convenient, we could just IP that shit!

14. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

Looks like I have a '16 then? If so and you'd like it, I'm down.

[​IMG]

beerandraiderfan likes this.
  15. rodzm

rodzm

Drank a 1989 Alexander this past Saturday it was still carbonated but the best way to describe it...it was cherry sugar water. No complexity at all. The only thing going for it was the cool factor

16. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Good to know, slightly tempers my desire to track one down. The 1999's that lurchingbeast and myself drank at Delilah's this year for their sour fest were fantastic and had me hoping that the older ones would be as well.

17. FTowne

FTowne

[​IMG]
    Stevens Point Whole Hog Barleywine

Don't know much about this one, other than I picked up a 4 pack for like $8 last year. It's either a '14 or '15.

Lots of "chunks" in the bottom of the pour. I'm assuming that they used some sort of powdery yeast that didn't floccuate very well.

Tastes like it was cut with cheap vodka. Flat out harsh and unpleasant.

Body is lean and thin for a 10% beer.

Total failure.

18. Hornet

Hornet

2008 Norrebros "Little Korkny"
    This one is shockingly superb!
    The carb is perfect, slightest of bubbles rising in the bottle upon opening.
    Little to no oxidation.
    Liquid caramel, toffee, dark fruits and christmas miracles!
    Barley Wine Style Ale- The same words on that
    A A Ron

[​IMG]

CruisaC, GuzzleMcBrew, mrk_d and 11 others like this.
  19. [​IMG]

2013 Oude Tart w/ Cherry, consumed 12/24/16 out on the rez.

Dude, cherry battery acid, draped in leather, mild tobacco and earth. Cola looking pour can't hold a head on it. The sour cherry was never huge in terms of juiciness, but it is still there 3+ years later, albeit further acidic and sour. This is damn sour. Even more now it seems. Oak tannins still give a nice drying presence on the back end mouth feel wise. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Carbonation is high. Oxidation is nigh. As usual, even though I know this one was stored upright, can't tell a difference between this and the ones stored on their side.

Love this beer.

20. tosh

tosh

Bottle of 1935 Jubilee Ale that SeaWatchman sent him in last years SS BIF, didn't have proper glassware so went with the 1953 Coronation glassware.

[​IMG]

Really did not have high hopes of this being anything close to drinkable, but me and a friend both kind of enjoyed it. I have no idea how to describe the taste. would happily open another bottle of this if anyone wants to send me another one.