Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. TNGabe

TNGabe

Got into the Stille Nacht on Christmas. '08 purchase this year with 'bottles in 2008' sticker on it was pretty meh. My perception threshold for wet paper/cardboard is very high, but even I picked it up here. '12 I've had cellared since purchase was in fine shape, but probably not the best year to begin with. Opened an SNR10 that was the first not great bottle I've had. Cork was about 3/8" past the lip and had beer on top of it and was soaked. Cap was black underneath. Not awful and thankfully not overly acetic, so it was still enjoyed, but undercarbed and lacking the depth and roundness that's made this one so enjoyable before. Still have '13-'15 Stille Nacht in the fridge we didn't get into.

thebandit1, Treebs, stxSS07 and 11 others like this.
  2. caaam

caaam

This has been sitting on the shelf at the shop I work at for 5+ years now and it's so damned good. Might clean em out today finally

Treebs, mateoloco, stxSS07 and 4 others like this.
  3. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

found this guy in the back of the fridge since the release. saw the bottling date 9/10/15, woa over a year, time to throw it up into the cellar reviews!

figs and dates come through great!! very chewy and tasty. not sure this was fresh but it's nice and smooth. 14 percent its pretty darn smooth! this could hang out a few more years, but mine has been in the fridge so i dunno if its actually showing it's age

cheers tb!

edit: not sure of the photo is working right. anyway the beers is olde hickory carolus magnus quad with dates, gigs and rose tips aged in armagnac barrels

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    thebandit1, Treebs, stxSS07 and 9 others like this.
  4. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

my favorite vintage and variant, 2009 elijah craig

it's still fantastic! tiny bit of oxidation creeping in. i feel like they don't make these like they used too.

if you got them drink em, don't hang onto these too much longer

happy new years tb!

GRDave, thebandit1, Treebs and 11 others like this.
  5. stakem

stakem

Ive been drinking through some cellared beers and forgetting to post here.

DFH noble rot (original batch) pretty much tastes like a watered down wine with a little bit of mustiness. Real easy drinking but im not sure what I was expecting this to become with age. The original saison component to it has packed its bags and is long gone.

Bolt cutter - I never understood why this beer got such a bad rap. I enjoyed it each time ive had it and yesterday was no different. The hoppiness it had while fresh is mostly gone and its now in that transition phase that bigfoot sorta goes through before hitting its sweet spot. I will likely open my last bottle in another 2-3 years or so.

Intangible ales acidulated hive - this is coming up on almost 2 years old. When it was fresh, it tasted like nothing but neutral malt and honey with faint brett fruitiness. Now, the residual sugars have been all consumed leaving a nice expression of brett tropical character with subtle honey backbone. Unfortunately, the brett slowly consuming said residual sugars has elevated the carbonation to more than what was likely intended.

Springhouse - pappy barrel aged bloodlust. (Almost 2 years old now?) This is hands down the best beer Springhouse has ever created and im not just saying that because of the pappy aging. Its a rich stout that hits me in all the right spots before even taking the barrel character into the equation. Its thicker than any stout springhouse has ever released with notes of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, earth, char, black licorice and a woodiness thats slightly spicy and very warming but so easy drinking for ~17% abv. The carbonation is light on this one and there is no signs of its age, looking forward to sipping on this one for a couple years to come because my friends who love Springhouse and their typical adjunct laden offerings bought a bunch of these.

GRDave, Treebs, mateoloco and 10 others like this.
  6. stupac2

stupac2

[​IMG]

2012 Westvleteren 8. Sadly it's just not very flavorful, pretty watery. The flavors you want are there, sort of, but it's mostly just bland.

We had it along with a big bold beef stew, so that might have been part of the problem.

GRDave, thebandit1, Treebs and 10 others like this.
  7. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

interesting side by side. on the right 2012 ba4d and on the left 2012 ba4d aged in barrels for 2 years

man what a stellar beer 4d is

2yr is full of bourbon. smooth and absolutely delicious. regular ba4d is still stellar but starting to show some slight oxidation. i wouldn't age 2012 ba4d any longer as it's not getting better. freaking delicious tho! i have a regular and ba 2011 might be time to drink those too

go warriors!

thebandit1, Treebs, CruisaC and 11 others like this.
  8. buzzword

buzzword

i prefer my beef stew small and timid

thebandit1, Photekut and steimie like this.
  9. davey101

davey101

2010 bottle. Not very good. Ash, oxidation, and malted milk balls. Finishes with a slight berry/metallic note. Light on flavor. Drinkable but way over the hill. Hoping my 2011 is better.
    [​IMG]

10. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]

I bought this guy when it was freshly released 6 years ago when I visited Ithaca for one of their other releases like Brute or Le Bleu - cant remember which.

Anyway, I have no idea why I only bought one and never drank it until now. Had I tried it sooner, I probably would have went back and bought a case. This might be the best example of an american made quad ive ever had. It has all the dark fruit and caramelized sugary flavors you want in a quad but without actually being sweet. It is also bready and rich with proper carbonation and the slightest touch of oxidation. 10% abv but zero heat. The yeast's phenolic contribution has completely dissolved and integrated into the fruitiness of this brew. Wow.

11. Number45

Number45

Seconded on this beer. Had it at a tasting like a year ago and it was freaking incredible.

thebandit1, duceswild and ehammond1 like this.
  12. KevSal

KevSal

looks amazing in that glass too

this post reminds me, i still have a brute. maybe it's time to break it out

thebandit1, CruisaC and duceswild like this.
  13. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

Batch 1 La Roja courtesy of OHLRangers

This was not at all like I expected it to be. More like an old ale than anything else. Zero tartness nor sourness. So weird.

[​IMG]

2006 JW Lees

Smells like a lot of oxidation, but tastes really good. Toffee, raisins, caramel.

[​IMG]

14. BulkCarrier

BulkCarrier

[​IMG]

x posted from DDT 1/5/17.

Aromas of sweet dark fruits, milk chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Some sly vanilla and caramel underneath.
    Flavor leans to the sweet side through previously mentioned aromas. Roast leans way back.
    Feel brings in a some stickiness, but not cloying, just seems just right to me.
    Definitely worthy to have again, but alas, well...that's gonna be a toughie to find again.

Missing PTB&AP.

15. anteater

anteater

Had one of these on new year's eve along with a 2012. The 2012 was not great as far as barleywines go. The 2006 was fucking miraculous! I want more.

thewimperoo and FTowne like this.
  16. harrymel

harrymel

I think about 10 years is the sweet spot on JW Lees. Younger ones always have a bit of an ash character to me but it eventually dies out and the sugars come together.

17. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

[​IMG]

Took part in a 2003 - 2014 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot vertical last night and here are some quick thoughts.

2003 - 2007: Twist off caps, no carbonation for the most part, the 03 and 04 were pretty much undrinkable as they were so oxidized, 05-07 were better but not by much.

2008: First crown cap, less oxidation, some carbonation and probably my favorite of the vertical as it was a well aged and rounded barleywine without much hop character at this point.

2009 - 2011: Less oxidation than the 08, but more aggressive hop profile and alcohol warmth was still pretty intense.

2012 - 2014: In a weird spot where they have some age to them, but still pretty hop forward and boozy with a bit of oxidized hops.

Overall it was fun to try them all at a leisurely pace, but not sure it is something I need to try again.

18. Kasher

Kasher

What did Wilford Brimley think of the vertical?

inb4 DIABEETUS

19. Espeer

Espeer

I have a decent amount of 05 to present. Have yet to have any very oxidized and they all have carb. Maybe bad storage? Mine were just in a basement ; nothing special.

20. stakem

stakem

Recent cherry adam discussion/release got me thinking about this one so I got into it tonight
    [​IMG]

minimal carb but it does have some. This was a wild ride at ~7 years old. There is a little leather, tobacco and earth which are the qualities I love about hotd Adam. The cherry is really toned down to the point where the fruited quality seems more raisony than cherry-like. When this beer is fresh it has a pretty big punch of medicial cherry sweetness but both of those qualities are now tamed back several notches letting there be a greater focus on alcohol and a subtle oakiness. Oxidation was present in this but it was very mild. As it warmed up there was a bit of smoke integrated with soy.