Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. KevSal

KevSal

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Speaking of beetus...

[​IMG]

Batch #2, bottle says 12/2014 so it's been a little more than 2 years

Much better than when I had it fresh (3/2015): brown sugar, oak, a little grape, preserved dark fruits, and loads of malt - but now without the boozy heat as before. Still fairly syrupy sweet and full bodied, though the finish is a bit more tannic/bitter in a good way.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. anteater

anteater

Goddamnit I love this beer so so much.

4. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]
    I believe this bottle is at least 10 years old. When I bought it circa '08 it was already dusty sitting on a shelf with other mixed vintage beer in a bottle shop that has long since gone to hell/closed.

Anyhoo... caramel malt, fruity raisons, cardboard oxidative notes, yet still herbal with pine resine and solvent alcohol. so sweet yet so oily with bitterness too. id throw this into the bigfoot realm of cellar capabilities - meaning this is a brew that likely will suffer from package failure before the beer ever hits its stride/max aging potential

[​IMG]
    I think this one is circa '09. fruity raisons and mild oxidation with lingering anise after each sip. light cocoa evolves as it warms up. overall this brew has really mellowed out and become mild. probably aged her too long

not pictured: 2010 struise tsjesses reserva

sugary smelling with a neutral/nondescript fruity aspect. toasted malt, faint oak and moderate oxidation. taste has all the same with an increasing herbal component as it warms. i believe this beer is best enjoyed fresh. last time i had it was 3 years ago and back then i felt it was slipping.

thebandit1, Photekut, tosh and 14 others like this.
  5. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

I'd been saving this bottle for awhile and finally opened it. Still tastes amazing. Sweet caramel, some chocolate, mild heat. Damn near perfect. Wish I have several more bottles.

6. KevSal

KevSal

glad to hear it. i have heard sevrel folks say it's on its way out. planin on opening mine saturday, hopefully it's as good as your bottle

jdd419 and PurityControl88 like this.
  7. iong516

iong516

If this is the first capped batch I should have bought so many of these when I came across a freshly stocked shelf with like 1-2 cases at $32 per no limit. Love ADWTD

jdd419, ASUBeer and duceswild like this.
  8. AndresR

AndresR

Cracked a 4 Calling Birds last Sat. WTF was I thinking holding on to it for?!?! Made a pretty cool sound pouring it down the drain.

Cardboard with a touch of acetone and holiday spice.

Clearing out the garbage from the cellar.

thebandit1, Treebs, jdd419 and 6 others like this.
  9. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

One thing I've learned the lesson on, outside of BT and their Old Ale Annys, DO NOT AGE.

10. AndresR

AndresR

That 12 year vertical the Bruery has been planning is gonna be pretty sweet I'm a few years! Gonna make Stone's VE series look next level by comparison.

11. foscorelli

foscorelli

Cranbic 2016 is turning into jammy cranberry goodness. Fresh I thought this beer was just effervescent cranberry juice. ::dodges shit thrown my way::

landrewg and jdd419 like this.
  12. matedog

matedog

This seems right. I had 5 year Autumn Maple recently that was super oxidized. The 4 Calling Birds was better, but still showing its age pretty badly.

thebandit1 and jdd419 like this.
  13. MooseLang

MooseLang

I have a few verticals that I have built up that I was always saving for some tastings, but there are never enough people around. So I decided to just crack one at a time by myself over the course of a week or so. I did 7 years of KBS a few weeks ago, and all but the most recent 2 were drain pours.

This, on the other hand, is stellar.

For the most part, I don't care for aged Stouts. But this is still perfectly carbed, and has a hint of roast remaining to balance out the aged-sweetness. Dark chocolate, sherry, and a hint of oak. Very good.

14. stupac2

stupac2

Cool, I still have one of those. Also an '07 and '08. Should really drink those sometime soon...

duceswild, ASUBeer and MooseLang like this.
  15. MooseLang

MooseLang

Definitely exceeded expectations. I'm not a big fan of aging beers that aren't Lambic or Fantome, but this one was worth it.

jbeezification and thebandit1 like this.
  16. jdd419

jdd419

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2013 death's Tar
    Barrel on the nose
    Lots of bourbon and chocolate in the taste. This is a very creamy stout and really goes well with the flavor.

Not sure if it was better fresh (don't remember and didn't save notes) but I wouldn't say it's a bad beer at this point.

tosh, duceswild, Gonzoillini and 7 others like this.
  17. jbeezification

jbeezification

The '10 I had a year or so ago was a drain pour. I'm glad yours was better.

duceswild, MooseLang and jdd419 like this.
  18. Gene

Gene Administrator Staff Member

Photekut, tosh, Gonzoillini and 4 others like this.
  19. Treebs

Treebs

DDT x-post

Oxidation on the nose, but the taste is all tobacco, leather, fig and plum with a touch of barrel. Still some heat left as well. Damn good.

mjohnson17, Photekut, tosh and 14 others like this.
  20. brentsdodgers

brentsdodgers

Too lazy for a pic but opened a BA 6- Geese a Laying. Carmel on the nose. Gooseberries are still tart upfront with a nice bourbon sweetness.