Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. pen15clubmember

pen15clubmember

Yeah, I think the cap changeover that they did in '10 or so really did not do any favors for aging BF. I had a 2011 within the last year and it was pretty much just faded hops. Back in 2012 we had a vert going back to '07 (it's fun switching how I denote years) to present and the early ones were stellar and the rest kinda meh. I had wanted to buy at least a six pack every year several years back and am glad I didn't follow through because it seems to need at least 6 years to develop not. Oh well...not worth the trouble.

GRDave, Gonzoillini and Snarf like this.
  2. libbey

libbey

[​IMG]

2010 Bruery Coton

A: Aggressive pour yields a small head that dissipates pretty quickly. Thick sticky legs.

S: Dark sherry notes. Tons of a dark fruit and vanilla. Leather and mahogany decadence.

T: Boozy plums and dates mixed oak. Reminds me of those leather candy strips I ate as a kid. Except this is making my face warm.

M: Thick and viscous. A tiny sip covers everything in sticky booziness.

O: I love old ales so this is my wheelhouse. This beer could go longer but damn if it's not tasting great right now.

I can see why some people would want to split this. Sorry for dem pussy palates

3. cry me

cry me

Had a 2011 Abacus last night. Still amazing. No pic

4. stakem

stakem

i love you... for no reason other than that last line

5. GRDave

GRDave

100% BA Cuir (2011) from last night

[​IMG]

Bought from the Hoarders cellar sale in 2015. Not a hint of oxidation, all dark fruit, caramel, toffee and leather...go figure. So damn smooth. I still have a regular Cuir in the cellar that I hope comes close to this one.

6. anteater

anteater

Easily the best Bruery beer I've had, and probably even a top 15 barrel aged beer for me.

Fucker, duceswild, Treebs and 3 others like this.
  7. anteater

anteater

Original BG&E, just about 3 years old. Way better than I remember fresh. Caramel, maple, chocolate, not overly roasty or sweet but has so much depth to it at the same time. Outstanding.

[​IMG]

8. Ataraxia

Ataraxia

[​IMG]

Juicy b2 (January 2015)

Two years later this is still fairly bright and fruity (apple, grape, citrus, and lemon). There is also noticeably more tartness and funk than when I had it fresh - which I recall as being more oaky and tannic.

9. GuzzleMcBrew

GuzzleMcBrew

Nice! I just did this vintage side by side with the new batch and had the same feelings. New batch is closer to b2 now than it is to b2 at release, but b2 now is drinking very very well IMO.

I also found it to be lighter in color than at release.

GRDave, Ryan_G and robertgoulet like this.
  10. ChairmanHoltz

ChairmanHoltz

My first cellared beer review. Let's see what happens.

Fantome Hiver 2010 (?). From a few weeks ago so going off of notes and memory etchings.
    [​IMG]

Having had only recent batches of Hiver, which have all been brown/mahogany, the color of this surprised me. It poured ectoplasmically radiant with a healthy amount of carb. It smelled like funky, bretty citrus fruit. Much pleasantness.

The taste was very complex. Citrus fruits, mandarin oranges. A light, musky funkiness. Underneath all the byproducts of age lurked a classic Fantome saison that held everything together. The swallow seemed to trigger a new round of kaleidoscoping flavors. Nothing offensive, nothing out of balance. It was outstanding. My underdeveloped beer vocabulary really can't do it justice.

To date, this is the oldest ghost I've let inhabit my corpus. And I'm glad I did.
    [​IMG]

11. davey101

davey101

Local shop marked these down to an insane level. Had to grab a couple. I love regular old stock but I don't recall ever having one of their 500mls due to the price. As far as I can tell this has always been in their cooler. Opens with a small hiss and pours suprisingly lively with a head that sticks around for a few minutes.

Nose is huge toffee, butterscotch, dark fruit, oak and some pleasant oxidation/leather. Straight bourbon soaked dates. Taste follows the nose. Smooth notes of caramel, dark fruits, leather and bourbon. Very smooth and has some carb to it that makes it really drinkable. Lingering alcohol warmth. This isn't overly complex but it is really good, and at this price kind of a steal.

[​IMG]

12. GRDave

GRDave

Picked a couple of these up from a friend, and cannot certify cellar conditions. Still a bit boozy, a tad caramel forward, not sure if it's oxidation though. I'm no cicerone. Rich and sweet, lots of chocolate and bourbon. Drink 'em if you got 'em? I don't know what I'm doing.
    [​IMG]

13. davey101

davey101

I had a 2012 and a 2013 last week and 12 was a bit off compared to 13.

stxSS07, duceswild, landrewg and 5 others like this.
  14. kuemmelbrau

kuemmelbrau

At 6$ I might buy all of those. Still sitting at 25$ here. Love the beer.

stxSS07, ASUBeer, duceswild and 8 others like this.
  15. davey101

davey101

They only had three, but yup! Cleaned them out.

stxSS07, mjohnson17, landrewg and 8 others like this.
  16. GRDave

GRDave

I have one each of 12/13/14 left. Will compare eventually, for science

duceswild, landrewg and davey101 like this.
  17. stupac2

stupac2

Good man. I had a friend buy me a bunch when he saw them for $16, at $6 definitely buy them all. North Coast doesn't get much attention any more but that one is stellar.

18. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

drinking the recent batch and the ba version. decieded tonbust this one out!

oxidation kicking in already but a real nice fruit character is coming through. plus a lot more chocolate than the fresh batch, and just enough coffee.

i don't see this one improving, drink or trade at this point fellas

stxSS07, Treebs, tosh and 4 others like this.
  19. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]

Loved the '93 and hated the '12. The newer one was meaty feeling with minerals, faded herbal hop character, raisons and neutral alcohol. The '93 is vinous, rich with chocolate, oaky and smoked. Minimal soy-ish oxidation on this with lingering flavors of port, leather and tobacco. The longer this sat in my glass, the more the nose evolved with a spiciness reminding me faintly of burning incense and/or cedar. What a brew.

20. Snarf

Snarf Previously TNGabe

The remake is never as good as the original. Thanks for the reminder. I see the newer ones around and think about buying them, but then remember I only have so much beer money and buy something I know I'll like instead.