Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. brother rebus

brother rebus

I had a FIS from 2015. It was tasty. Some things to note- despite larj amounts of settled out (unpoured) particulate, it seemed thicker than usual. It also tasted boarderline unpleasantly oxidized for the first three sips when cold cold, but by sip 4 that flavor was gone. The carb was more subtle obviously, but was still plenty. So smooth.

jdd419, stxSS07, greg4579 and 7 others like this.
  2. robertgoulet

robertgoulet

[​IMG]

The Vapeur Pipaix was a best before April 2016. I really liked this one as the herbs and spices have definitely started to subside and there is a lot more funk than I recall when having this batch fresh. It's still got that woody and dark fruit thing going and something that kind of reminds me of tea.

[​IMG]

I really like the JK shelf stuff and I was really interested to see what some time did to that Texas Hill Country yeast. The Miel was a May 2015 bottle date and was another good one. Bretty honey, herbal and floral. Sorta peach and apricot funky fruit.

3. stupac2

stupac2

[​IMG]

Newest bottle I've been able to find and it's two years old. Oh well, it's still delicious! Not as much oxidation, but still has that delicious toffee/caramel sweetness.

4. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

I remember having an older bottle of that Biere de Miel and being impressed by the brett character. Really nice deep mustiness that didn't overshadow the rest of the beer.

5. iong516

iong516

[​IMG]

Meant to hold on to this longer, but it was V day and my roommates were cooking with Buckwheat... with all the glowing reviews lately I couldn't resist checking in on this. Has changed quite a bit since release. Shoulda taken better tasting notes, but damn. The clean pour had a crisp/funk duality, nice citrus character and light barrel presence. The last sips weren't as impressive maybe due to lots of dregs, or maybe I was just tired of tasting tart beer and had palate fatigue. Looking forward to trying this again sometime and seeing where it goes.

6. iong516

iong516

Also does anyone know the bottling date? Label says 2015, but there wasn't a stamp.

7. davey101

davey101

This is coming up on 7 years old. The stout was always my favorite but this is the last of my stash. Last had a bottle about 3 years ago and thought it was going downhill. If anything it's better now.

[​IMG]
    Opens with a loud pop thanks to being nitrogenated. Pours a clear dark amber/red with a thick and frothy tan head. Nose is caramel, chocolate, and pine. Taste is also heavy on the toffee, chocolate, resiny pine, and some decent oxidation. I much prefer this to Bigfoot with a few years on it. It still has that distinctive aged american barleywine quality where the hops never fully fade. But it's muted and smoothed out by the other elements. Who doesn't love aged Celebration or Pale Ale? Suprised how enjoyable this one still is.

8. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG] crap how did i forget this guy. found it while digging through a few of my brews. got a lot of beer i need to drink.

this has got to be the best blend i've had. looking at the blend it doesn't look like it would be this tasty. definitly delicious, great aroma and buddy. fw falls off fast but this still has some time before dropping

cheers fellas

9. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

been reaching into te cellar, grabbing the ones i love before and cracking them before they are no good. damn have i really been in the beer game this long??

this was probably my favorite beer of 2012, i wish i got to it sooner.

this beer is still excellent but definitly showing its age, but it's help up pretty damn good considering this is pushing 5 years. tons of cognac and that classic thick cigar city base. this has peaked, time to drink em or trade em fellas!

Kirkse, tosh, thunderbirdesq and 12 others like this.
  10. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

working down my cellar, made a list of beers to get to. next on the list brau bros whiskey ba quad

this is one ugly beer, oh man, almost as bad as it's label lol. i think the label is what made it take to long to finally open it. good news is it's delicious. i kinda wish i got to this sooner to get a more vibrant barrel, never had it fresh tho so i'm not sure if this has fallen off. drinking good now tho

cheers tb

PurityControl88, Treebs, tosh and 8 others like this.
  11. anteater

anteater

Doming a 2011 Dark Lord while I'm brewing today for some reason...

I had a 2016 last weekend so I wanted to check this one out while it was fresh in my mind. 2011 is way better, this beer is not bad with five years on it. Milk chocolate, coffee, raisin, fig and port on the nose. More dark fruit in the taste, balanced well with a roasty bitterness, touch of oxidation. Probably won't be seeking out any more Dark Lord, but this was pretty good.

[​IMG]

12. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]

Coworker shared an 01/03/05/07/09 set with me last weekend. All beers were holding up really really well with minimal signs of oxidation. It was to the point that the differences were minimal at best - they all had that nice toffee old ale quality. The 01 was probably my favorite because it was less carbed (though still had some) than the others which made for a softer mouthfeel without being totally flat.

13. adhdjon

adhdjon

Stone Old Guardian 2013

Insanely mellow. Contrasted to the fresh version which was unbalanced with brown sugar malts and overly aggressive hops. After a few years in the cellar, I'm getting big candied plums, caramel sugars, dates, dried berries, maple syrup and pine nuts. This was a 3/5 fresh but the hops and alcohol are totally mellowed and the beer is still assertive and strong and malty in spite of the faded hops. Really nice sipping, honestly. Would cellar a few bottles again.

[​IMG]

14. kzeon

kzeon

Whatever an imperial pilsner is, whatsoever. Opened at 60F.

Green apples, no sign of oxidation. I wasn't really sure what to expect here. The pinot noir did its job, it's vineous, silky. The first sip caught me up by surprise, I coughed up super hard, like a big draft of something super sulfuric. The rest was good. Drank the whole bottle very easily, but it wasn't anything incredible either.

[​IMG]

15. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

no reviews for a while in here, let's give this a cellar review. i posted about this in the barelywine thread and realized it's roughly 5 years old! batch 2,
    this one has help up beautifully, not sure what caraway seeds do but it has a distinct flavor exactly like batch 1. drinking fantastic, no signs of oxidation. no sign of alch, smooth silky and delicious. it's a real shame it will never be brewed again

this will hold up for quite some time for sure, definitly hasn't peaked yet so to speak.

PHBoiler, tosh, Gonzoillini and 9 others like this.
  16. Treebs

Treebs

Oh but it was....

Can answer more questions in barleywine thread if necessary.

tosh, Gonzoillini, greg4579 and 4 others like this.
  17. KevSal

KevSal

i've been trying to track a bottle of that guy down actually. does it actually taste the same as hi fi? does it also have caraway seeds? if you happen to have an extra for trade let me know!