Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

2011 Oak Aged Yeti. You win some you lose some. I remember enjoying a 5 year old Yeti a few years ago that was like drinking a brownie. This Yeti had a smokey/savory thing going on with a fair amount of bitterness and an old coffee taste.

[​IMG]

2012 Supplication. Agressive acidity with a well developed funk. Cherries have faded, wine barrel character is still quite present. Not better than fresh but still enjoyable.

As always, cellaring beer proves to be an educational experience!

2. Saugusbrewer

Saugusbrewer

First review here: Surprising heat from the alcohol, still in a good way, a little caramel note to balance the alcohol. Was surprised there was no Oxidation present. Bottle was from a store that has been cellaring beer for a long time and releases stuff regularly, it was was the $10 and more.
    [​IMG]

3. libbey

libbey

2002 Double Mountain Double Trouble Anniversary beer.

Live review from their 10th Anniversary

A: Standard cola pour with a small head that dissidpated quickly.

S: Vanilla, plums and a touch of mineral oxidation.

T: Still pretty heavy with the barrel. Vanilla and oak mixed with dark fruit. A bit of oxidation creeps inas it warms.

M: closing in on a decade and still carbonated. Silky mouthfeel

O: They had a bunch of Anniversary beers on tap but their oldest held up the best of the ones I sampled.

tosh, Gonzoillini, jedwards and 12 others like this.
  4. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

ran into this guy yesterday when organizing some stuff. 2013, ready to go down

it's delicious, caramel soaked in bourbon. cardboard is starting to creep in tho so if you got em drink em or trade em, this is not getting any better than this!

5. libbey

libbey

2013 Bourbon County Brand Barleywine

[​IMG]

A: Aggressive pour yields a small khaki head that dissipates quickly. Dark cola brown with sticky legs. I had forgotten how dark this beer was.

S: Burnt caramel sugars mixing with vanilla and oak. Loads of dark fruit. Plum and sherry mixing with leather.

T: Taste follows suit with a big load of dark fruit and caramel. Oak comes forward more as it warms along with a slight touch of oxidation. It compliments though. Zero heat which is impressive for how big this beer is.

M: Silky and sticky mouthfeel. Each sip coats everything. Lingering notes of dark fruit malt and vanilla/oak.

O: No complaints. This beer has rounded out wonderfully and is drinking great. Throughly enjoyed every ounce of this one.

6. Saugusbrewer

Saugusbrewer

Really enjoyed fresh never had it aged.

ehammond1 and libbey like this.
  7. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG][​IMG]

2012 Abyss. Despite being less and less interested in big imperial stouts (especially aging them) this was a great pour. Mellowed char/licorice with a fudgy dark chocolate and some vanilla and dark fruit. A cellar win.

8. KevSal

KevSal

that's on what of a few beers i dislike fresh but really enjoy with some age on it, definite cellar win

maximum12 and PurityControl88 like this.
  9. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

I think this is the first time I've had it aged too!

10. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

2013, been drinking a lot of hf lately but nothing has blown me away like 2013 era hf. had to crack this if my memory served me right, it does.
    back in 2013 i received one of these bad boys from GuisseppeFranco as an extra! i loved it so much i ended up trading for 6 more

this is glorious. super smooth. fudge, chocolate, tons of vanilla and oak. i had the base yesterday and it seemed pretty
    average, so crazy how this transforms in the barrel. this is drinking great fellas! dont think it can get any better

GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  11. GuisseppeFranco

GuisseppeFranco

Wow, that's pretty cool. I think I drank the last of mine a few months back.

KevSal likes this.