Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

That's backfat's favorite beer. I am sure you are shocked.

2. michael

michael

Ive had bottles of this that have been great. This one was trash.

kuemmelbrau, Sender1, GRDave and 2 others like this.
  3. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

I have had bottles of 97 that make great soy sauce. And not in that way that people joke Dark Lord makes great soy sauce (though 2007 DL was pretty soy saucy)

GRDave likes this.
  4. furley

furley

what a fucking great glass

robertgoulet likes this.
  5. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]

Held on to this (#1) and FR #3 thinking they'd be interesting to open at a share but then realized no one probably cares and they are just taking up space in the cellar.

This has held up well. Good carb, the grape/plum flavors are still there, but a bit muddled (though I doubt they were ever that prominent). Not sure the age has done much as it still has that Almanac sour thing going on similar to fresh ones. Better than expected and enjoyable, but not upset I didn't save for a special occasion.

6. stupac2

stupac2

Had a bunch of cellared beer today.

[​IMG]

'05 OGV: Really nice. Mostly what you'd expect, a little less funk, a little more acid, but still classic OGV.

'13 Hommage. Just not very good. Flat, extremely acetic, no fruit, unless you count olives. These are hit-or-miss and this was one a big miss.

Southern Sunrise: It's a SARA fruited saison, it's held up fine.

HotD Putin ('15?): Bad, but in an amusing way given the namesake: flat, thin, boozy as fuck, otherwise flavorless. Terrible beer, amusing metaphor.

B1 Westly: See above. Held up pretty okay, still fruit, pretty sour.

'11 LPK: Good not great year of LPK.

'14 Cherry AftW: Also flat, would be decent if it were carbed. Oh, HotD...

'16 Dwarven Power Bottom: What the fuck is wrong with FFF? It's like they're trying to come up with the stupidest, least relevant names. Good beer, but jesus christ...

'11 Iris: Iris isn't my thing. Even when it's 6 years old.

The best "beer" wasn't beer and wasn't >1 year old, that Schramm's Apple Reserve was fucking amazing. Dear god. It's ridiculous that after all this time they continue to floor me.

Sender1, kuemmelbrau, Treebs and 15 others like this.
  7. stakem

stakem

I drank a bottle of Bruery Pinotlambicus over the weekend. What a fucking amazing brew that was. Such a shame what the Bruery bottled acid program has turned into verse what they were capable of making at one time.

In every aspect it felt what lambic with a grape addition should be. Sour, but not overly so. Earthen with a heavy brett character akin to the typical flavor Lindemans displays. Lactic and mildly vinous. So good.

Sender1, kuemmelbrau, Treebs and 12 others like this.
  8. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

If it makes you feel better about your choice, I believe Apple reserve is typically a year old at release, and if I recall correctly, that batch had a blend of the previous year's yield as well, so it is more vintage than the release date lets on.

Gonzoillini and stupac2 like this.
  9. stupac2

stupac2

I don't feel bad about it, well except insofar as I don't have more of it to drink...

Gonzoillini likes this.
  10. jdhende

jdhende

2014 still nacht. This beer ages incredibly well. Tons of dark fruit. Very well nuanced and does not drink like 12% at all. Tons of caramel sweetness and raisins. A really decadent beer that toes the perfect line of sweetness. Love that this is continually slept on by most.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017 at 10:38 PM
    libbey likes this.
  11. davey101

davey101

2010. Probably a year too old but still great. Tons of raisins and caramel and all that good stuff. Just a touch of ash and oxidation. Nice and warming but hides the abv really well. I still maintain that this beer is incredible at 5 years old.
    [​IMG]