Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. anteater

anteater

This just made me so excited to open mine! Never had it before, just won a Brandy, Bourbon, Rye and New Oak Bois set at Brews for New Avenues.

GRDave, Tlo4sho, ASUBeer and 3 others like this.
  2. matedog

matedog

Forgot I had this one:
    [​IMG]
    (excuse the shitty focus)
    OG Cosmic Dust (2014). They don't bottle this anymore because the hibiscus color fades so dramatically.
    This is what it looks like fresh:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, beyond the obvious color change, there wasn't much going on with this. Some green apple and nice mild vanilla notes, but sourness and funk have dissipated dramatically. Tastes distinctly year 1 Rare Barrel. I think I held on to this one only because the wife loves the bottle label.

3. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

Doing some closet clean up last night came across a 2014 GM I had hanging out in the back. Cracked it last night for a 3 oz nightcap and still heat AF. Reminds me of the better BT days, hint of Hazelnut but confirms my experiences with GM. Drink it fast as the hazelnut fades quickly, even 6 months from fresh you can tell a difference. Still solid, but if you're holding on to one this old other than E-Peen or some GM vert for some god forsaken reason open it already.

Treebs, LSMroz, kuemmelbrau and 8 others like this.
  4. matedog

matedog

X posted in Bay Area thread:
    Did side by side with last three batches of Beat last night.
    [​IMG]
    (13, 15, 17 left to right)
    13 was the clear winner for me. Green apples for days with a nice depth to the funk. 17 was way too carbed and almost astringent relative to 13. 15 seemed to be the transition between the two suggesting maybe it and 17 will develop towards 13’s profile (I hope).

tosh, Stubs, Sender1 and 12 others like this.
  5. iong516

iong516

2015 HF George was just awful. Flat, almost flavorless... bad cap? acurtis said another bottle a month ago was better.

kuemmelbrau likes this.
  6. CyberMonk

CyberMonk

Held Tasting Party v3.0 feature a bunch of beer from The Rare Barrel, the last we'll be having in this apartment before moving to our new house--which also means there are 30 fewer bottles I'll need to lug up the hill come moving time ;) Some highlights follow:
    • Soliloquy 2014: A crowd favorite, with the rose and orange character still very much present and playing off each other nicely. A really delicious and easy drinking sour.
    • Map of the Moon 2016: no surprise here, perhaps, but tasting amazing. Still a ton of fruit, which really amped up the sourness while providing for a really nice, fruity finish.
    • Forces Unseen 2014: I may be the only one who got excited about this beer, but I've always loved how complex and tasty this blend is, and the 2014 batch has held up wonderfully. Mild, lots of fruit-like character despite no adjuncts, and a really quaffable beer.
    • Afterlight 2016: this was the first beer I tried, and after the initial sour shock wore off I really enjoyed it. There were a couple Bordeaux-aged beers featured, and both had a lot of barrel character that worked well.
    • Becoming 2015: another crowd favorite, the boysenberry character doing all the right things and creating a tasty fruit-forward sour.
    • Home Sour Home 2015: I've heard this beer is polarizing, but I love it, and it may be even better with a little age on it. The adjuncts mellowed a bit, but that delicious cobbler profile is still there.
    I'll stop myself there because there were honestly very few beers that weren't tasting great; everything held up really well. Not to mention I didn't feel totally zonked at the end, given all the beers were only 4-6% (a pleasant change coming off the Bruery and Firestone tasting parties).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. Opening a bunch of waxed Rare Barrel bottles made me realize I really hate the Bruery wax jobs. This wax was so much easier to get through with a peg-style bottle opener.

tosh, palmej1, Sender1 and 14 others like this.
  7. iong516

iong516

CW16 is still tasting good, but it's showing age and isn't better than fresh ~Xmas 2013 or about 2 years ago. Still some nice coffee presence and barrel, getting oxidized.

Only took a pic of the geuze I guess, but I love the 16 label.

[​IMG]

tosh, GRDave, IronDave and 8 others like this.
  8. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

[​IMG]
    2013. Gold to ruby color. Vanilla and caramel nose. Sweet, caramel, vanilla, oak, vague cardboard flavors.

tosh, GRDave, ChairmanHoltz and 5 others like this.
  9. Tlo4sho

Tlo4sho

Xpost

[​IMG]

Aged Bernice >>>fresh IMO. This is batch 8(+/- 1) rustic cap funk. Smooth, milky, and lots-o lemony funk. Even when you lick your lips it tastes like lemon rind. Some citrusy chardonnay grape barrel qualities going on in the background. 3+ years of aging and this still could cellar for a few years! There is something magical about these old Sante beers: More rustic and not as “clean.” Practically formed a pellicle in my glass. All the Brett, hay, grass, saison bliss.

tosh, JRBecks, PDXAmbassador and 13 others like this.
  10. maximum12

maximum12

I loved Weyerbacher's anniversary beers. This was the 2009 version, a tasty-as-hell wheatwine. Haven't had one in a while & eager to see where it's gone. And sorry...tinypic is being a bitch, & I can't get the damn thing to rotate.

[​IMG]

Right off, thing is close to still, which isn't much change from the original. The smell has morphed into plum-wine-like sweetness, & the taste follows suit(e). Candied sugar, dark fruits, honey. The alcohol punch has dimmed from hot to merely insistent - another seven years & this might be relatively tame. Oxidation is just starting to creep in. Thick & heavy, & by now, there's no trace of visible carbonation. Luckily, I have no where to be tonight.

Once divine, this is on a slow downhill slide, & now is merely excellent; this is how you build a beer for the long-term. I'm going to get my remaining bottles in the fridge pronto & take them down soon.

tosh, Sender1, stakem and 10 others like this.
  11. iong516

iong516

So much want.

Tlo4sho likes this.
  12. landrewg

landrewg

Xpost from the BAG thread.

Had a small tasting with a couple of friends and this was definitively the highlight.
    2006 Angel's Share from bigstrunso
    Very little carb but that didn't matter. Delicious raisin, fig, english barleywineish flavors. So smooth!
    Thanks, Chad, for this special treat!

Sorry for the drunk shit pic:(

13. stakem

stakem

Regardless of carbonation, I have always enjoyed angel's share and their other big alcohol/big sweetness brews. I just wish they wernt so freaking expensive.

Not sure if it was 06 or 09 but I recall years ago when a shop here in PA had cases of this stuff and noone would buy it because it was overpriced and flat. They put it on clearance for $3 a 750ml and my friend bought every single one of them. He gave me one that I have not yet drank.... I should dig it up and toss it back this weekend.

iong516, Photekut, ehammond1 and 9 others like this.
  14. jedwards

jedwards

Probably the '09 Brandy -- I still have a couple of them. They're incredible. They are nicer with a little carb -- last one I opened I just picked up a fresh AS and mixed a little in as I went.