Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

The 2012 I opened on Black Friday was pretty stellar. Tried a new one. Boozy as expected.

2. greg4579

greg4579

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Batch #2 Arctic Saison. Admittedly this was an accident to let it go this long. Not bad, but definitely past it's prime.Had one almost a year ago and thought it was doing great. So for my tastes, try to stay under 2 years.

3. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

[​IMG]
    Been holding on to this one bc I just haven't wanted to say goodbye yet. This was definitely better fresher, but I'll be damned if it's still not really good. Burnt brown sugar, hint of molasses, caramel and nice coconut finish. Just an awesome beer, sad to see my last one go but it was prob past it's best by date in 2015.

4. thechrislife

thechrislife

That's the story of FW's barrel aged beers.

5. KevSal

KevSal

had some old beer recently

[​IMG]

man i dunno how this one continues to taste so good, 4th and last bottle, really wish i had another, it was a staple for thanksgiving. could easily go more years

[​IMG]

brought this guy to a tasting, 2013 version. i really liked it back than, and man i really liked it now. held up extremely well. much better than the newer otto

[​IMG]

i absolutely loved this one fresh, this is the 2014 batch and on its way down hill. still nice chocolate. had chunky bark in it, no idea what it was but it was definitely off putting.

i need to start pounding my old stuff soon so ill be posting up here some more old stuff. i think 2-3 years is the max for me on most stuff, to bad i got so much 2013 beers in the cellar :confused::(

6. maximum12

maximum12

Starting to wade through my old Abyss, which was the beer that sucked me into aging in the first place. Not a big fan of the years (like this one) with cherry bark, but this beer ages like a champ.

2011 Abyss

Better than fresh. The noxious cherry bark has disappeared, much to my delight. The barrel is just in the background, which is too bad, but with only about 25% barrel aging, it was never had aggressive barrel even fresh. What's left is a licorice & roast bomb, & I mean that in the best possible way, with a long, slow, sloppy kiss of malt sweetness on the finish.

Wonderful. This is why I used to buy a bunch of Abyss every year to tuck away. After two years it's magical & even after six, my least favorite of the vintages is excellent.

[​IMG]

7. libbey

libbey

2011 DFH Palo Santo

[​IMG]

A: The beer pours a dark chocolate fudge with a small cap of off brown head that settles into a thin film.

S: Dark fruit and leather dominate. Wood tannin notes on the finish. Sherry wine notes as it warms and opens up. No sign of oxidation.

T: Taste follows suit loads of dark malt with a pleasant tannin finish from the wood. This beer is crazy smooth at this point and highly drinkable for 12%

M: The beer is starting to thin out a bit still holding up.

O: This was a fun beer to revisit. I have some HotD Adams from this time I’m looking forward to cracking. This beer has aged quite gracefully and was a treat.

8. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Love the old school review format, might adopt for the DDT instead of the 4 word review. Also love this beer when aged, should proably see if trickytunadicky and fear025 have any in their cellar.

9. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

No Palo Santo Marron, but it shouldn’t surprise you that it got squeezed out between Olde School and Raison D’Extra.

10. KevSal

KevSal

well you convinced me with this post

[​IMG]

man no bullshit this is probably the best beat i’ve ever had, luckily i have another bottle, dunno how long i can last before cracking it tho haha

11. matedog

matedog

Is that a 13/b6?

lambandtunaphish and tosh like this.
  12. KevSal

KevSal

whoops yes it was

[​IMG]

13. KevSal

KevSal

[​IMG]

oops meant to post this at 11:30, far more drunk now than i was than

anyway opened up a batch 1 CR completely expecting it to be soy

happy to report it’s absolutly delicious! looks great, thick chunky pour
    aroma is big chocolate and bourbon barrel upfront, brownie and more chocolate

taste is all chocolate, and bourbon barrel with very little heat but warming. lingering chocolate and a tad of chocolate liqueur in the finish

mouthfeel is where i’m blown away, big thick massive body. most ba beers i’ve had older than 3 years really start to thin out, this one is bigger than i remember. for reference i took a sip of ba 10 fidt i had prior to this guy and it felt thin

unfortunately my boys started to wake up so i’ve corked the last half (quarter?) for tomorrow but i’ll be dreaming about this guy. we poured it into the same bruery tasters we got back in 2011 when we tried it for the first time on cask at the bruery initiation party

expect more cellar reviews to continue ur tomorrow to finish off my bday weekend

14. matedog

matedog

Nice. Yeah, I'm hoping the subsequent batches are heading in that direction, not just that it was always better.

15. Marc

Marc

Alright so this has been 2 years in the making, it has been a big project of mine since I first had this beer and one day decided to open a full a vert. I posted everywhere trying to trade for bottles I didn't have and got some help from the community. Even found a bottle in OK if you can believe it. Anyway I signed up on this site in the hopes of trading for these bottles. Little did I know I would meet a bunch of great people and make really good friends here. Thank you guys for that. I even traded for a couple Backacres too :)

Some people wanted me to come back and post my thoughts on these beers and I said I would so here I am, keeping my word. Gonna link the original post https://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/ft-backacre-hf-cantillon-iso-backacre.28702/

Alright so this tasting got pushed back so many times it's not even funny. I almost gave up and decided to just randomly drink these with people. I stayed strong and tonight was the night FINALLY. They would sometimes release a new blend just as we were getting ready to drink so we would postpone. Then people's schedules got in the way, etc...

Our hosts as it turns out went all out and got a bunch of glassware for us to be able to compare these beers against each other. We ended up doing Blends 6-10 first

Blend 10: The freshest batch is super soft and juicy, almost creamy mouthfeel and tons of fruit, really nice!
    Blend 9: Showed a bit more funk and acidity than 10, big stone fruits
    Blend 8: Beautiful blend, close to blend 9 but felt more balanced as far as acidity goes, bit lighter on the fruit
    Blend 7: Dominant acidity, felt more like your typical american wild ale... Felt a bit thin in comparison
    Blend 6: Felt "muted", not much personality if you will, super tame as nothing came forward, almost no aroma... Weird

After this we took a food break and pounded some lagers and other "malt forward" palate cleansers. We came to the conclusion that Blend 8-9 are in a really good place right now but the mouthfeel on 10 is outstanding. These are really beautiful beers but it seemed like the older they got the less interesting they were... I was a little concerned about Blends 1-5. My personal ranking so far would be 8-9-10-7-6 though 8 and 9 were almost too close to call IMO.

Blend 5: This one was odd, straight fruit juice, low carb, sweet, no funk
    Blend 4: Super dry, lots of carb, closer to that "champagne beer"
    Blend 3: Showing some soft lambic-esc qualities but a bit sweet, this was really nice
    Blend 2: Blind I might have said this was lambic, someone remarked it was reminiscent of Girardin
    Blend 1: Acetone, some finished their pour but most dumped it

From the second group we established that Blend 2 is straight fire. I would be happy to drink that often. So 2 and 3 are in a really good place right now. 4 was very different from the others in terms of carb. Shame about Blend 1 but that is something I had heard numerous times over the years about this specific blend and was anticipating a let down. I would rank these as 2-3-4-5-1

For kicks if I was to rank all of them it would look like this: 2-(8-9)-10-3-4-7-5-6-1

So we established that being the same beer these evolve differently from one another. I would like to add that for the past 2 years I have been keeping these bottles in my cellar. I have converted a chest freezer with a temp. controller and put in a dehumidifier. Obviously some older blends I traded for may have not had the same treatment but I feel these have been taken care of. Also Blend 1 was purchased at the Blend 9 release as they were offering vintage bottles as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017 at 12:50 AM
  16. KevSal

KevSal

wow that all sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!

i’ve actually never had that beer before, but from the looks of it batch 10 is fantastic, might put it on my list

17. regularjohn

regularjohn

shelfie in Vermont, i'm sure someone can get a bottle for you at cost

greg4579 and KevSal like this.
  18. Marc

Marc

Thanks for reading lol

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a VT shelfie, like 3-4 places end up getting it and you have to follow them on facebook to find out when they are in stock. One place gets it first and gets quite a bit. No limit on the latest batch and 1pp on vintage batches. The other places that get it seem to sell out quick from my experience. It's a 20$ bottle, paid 191.30$ for 10 of them. It seems to be releasing twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. The few places that do get it are pretty remote in southern VT but like I said limits are high and people that venture out there typically get a lot. I'm sure it would be an easy score if it's the fresh batch you want... It's a 5h drive for me to get these but I love that area, VT is awesome

19. tbub18

tbub18

We actually got distribution of the newest blend in NYC. I was so surprised as this has always been a beer I seek out when I head up to HF. $35 though, typical gouging in this fucking city.

20. tbub18

tbub18

Very cool tasting! Oldest one I tried was b2, and this was Feb of 2016. It wasn't quite a drain pour but sounds like it was closer to b1 for you guys. Not sure how that bottle was cellared, like everything else that will change the outcome of these older brews. Cheers!