Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. davey101

davey101

Working through another Fingolfin beer and proper glassware. 2012 vintage. Cap rusting a bit under the wax. Nose and taste is just awesome smoke and chocolate with some lingering licorice. Not as intense as Alaskan's porter making it really drinkable. Super smooth and drinking so great right now. I really dig this beer!
    [​IMG]

2. davey101

davey101

Fingolfin again! The GOAT smoked beer. I've only had this beer fresh to about two years old. I love how genuine and complex the smoke always is in this beer, it's not just a generic smoke flavor. Nose is smoked meats, sweet fruit, and roasted malts. Taste is a lot milder then fresher bottles with the smoked tamed down quite a bit and some nuttiness and sweeter fruity notes peaking through. Ends with some lingering ash and porter chocolate/coffee and some brightness. Zero oxidation and drinks so easily. Such a perfect beer.
    [​IMG]

3. jdd419

jdd419

I like this beer fresh, not a lot going on but very clean and sour. TRB had some sour patch kids beers for a few years, this was not and still isn't. Big fan of this while grilling on a 33° day

[​IMG]

Photekut, KevSal, Treebs and 10 others like this.
  4. GRDave

GRDave

2012 BN, stored in my non-conditioned basement cellar.
    [​IMG]
    At opening, nose was all licorice and cardboard. As it sat after about 5 min, is typical BN, licorice, oak and bourbon

First few sips had some oxidation, but like the nose, it went away after sitting for a few minutes. Still has a hint of oxidation. Mouthfeel seems to have thinned out as well. Something similar I see with aged Expo, there's always some sludge settled at the bottom. Very smooth bourbon finish, and still a great supper. But I don't see these getting any better. YMMV.

Moondog, jdd419, sliverx and 15 others like this.
  5. Matterhorn

Matterhorn

2011 Old Stock Brandy Barrel so released in 2013 I believe.

Don't ask me why but I bought a case of these at the time because Pennsylvania. Never had a ton of carb but is pretty much still at this point. Barely made a sound when I pulled the cork. Smell is still amazing boozy raisins/plums. Delicious but almost too sweet for my palate right now. Maybe dropping off a bit from the last one I drank 6-8 months ago.

jdd419, Treebs, cornboy and 12 others like this.
  6. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Best before end of 13’ per the label. Another cellar dweller I was a little afraid of opening. Tootsie rolls w a pleasent spice. Prickly carbonation. I wouldn’t say it improved w age, but whatever the yeast is doing I’m definitely a fan of.

[​IMG]

jdd419, robertgoulet, Treebs and 15 others like this.
  7. PrinceCasual

PrinceCasual

That must have set you back a couple of ducats! I have a couple of those floating around too, I should probably check in on one of them while it's still chilly out. Do they even make that beer anymore (the BA ones I mean)? I NEVER see them anywhere that has BA Rasputin.

Matterhorn likes this.
  8. iong516

iong516

I see Bourbon Old Stock 2013 in bottle shops pretty regularly

Matterhorn, PrinceCasual and davey101 like this.
  9. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

2012 Narwhal

Lot of meaty roasty-ness. Less chocolate than fresh batches. Pretty solid for ~6 yr old beer, but like most aged beers I prefer fresh.

10. Gaseous Clay

Gaseous Clay

2011 (right) vs 2014 (left) golden blend. 2014 still tasting youthful and bright; tons of green apple on the palate with a soft carbonation. 2011 was really fantastic. Tons of minerality and oak with signature aged 3F funk. Surprisingly still very well carbonated! What a treat to do them side by side.

Poop quality Instagram story photo
    [​IMG]

Moondog, Treebs, jdd419 and 10 others like this.
  11. KevSal

KevSal

damn i’m sitting on one of these, guess it’s time to move it to the front of the line?

davey101 likes this.
  12. SeizeTheCarp

SeizeTheCarp

2013 Allagash Midnight Brett. Bottled June 14, 2013.

Surprised at how much carb this one had. Roasty, funky, even some mild tannins showing up. Quite enjoyable for a style I don't usually find myself reaching for.

[​IMG]

Treebs, GRDave, davey101 and 9 others like this.
  13. jdd419

jdd419

Drank this a few days ago. Cherries were good and still very fruit forward while cold. Turned into enamel ripping sour as it warmed.

Probably wouldn't drink this much again of this. Small sample would be good though. I have a feeling I will be saying that about a lot of TRB beers I have left.

[​IMG]

Treebs, GRDave, Photekut and 14 others like this.
  14. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

2008 Fort paired with Shakedown.

Somehow still boozy af. Otherwise raspberry jam.

Moondog, robertgoulet, Treebs and 9 others like this.
  15. trickytunadicky

trickytunadicky

Since I just missed the edit window:

Edit: After a few more sips... This is like you added 151 to your favorite fruit beer. The ideal drinking time was probably closer to 5-7 years out. The raspberry would have still been fairly strong (there is no mellowing this boozefest like with Raison D'Extra), but the fruit to booze balance would have been closer. Too young and the raspberries themselves being so strong would have also thrown their own tannic heat. This is basically fruit barleywine. I will be on the floor after my pour. RIP Sunday day buzz, I will be full blown day drunk. I hope I finish my laundry and packing. I have shit to do today. cheers!

16. FTowne

FTowne

Das it mane

Moondog, Treebs, GRDave and 11 others like this.
  17. stupac2

stupac2

Had some fun stuff today:

[​IMG]

Let's start with this:

[​IMG]

2007 OGV (not Valentine's). Surprisingly little carb, less than Zenne which I wasn't expecting at all. Still nice, good funk, but I remember these being better. At least my son liked it:

[​IMG]

Didn't take a picture of the LPG 2009, but it was awesome. It tasted bizarrely like the Zenne, like I might've had a hard time telling them apart blind. Not sure what to make of that. Really funky, great smell, interesting sweetness. Still doing well.

[​IMG]

1999 Fou Foune: alarmingly good. I used to see those large verts of Fou and wonder what was wrong with those people, but this was amazing. Still plenty peachy, and a strange (for a Cantillon anyway) amount of oaky butteriness, or something, that worked pretty well. Probably less sour than most fresh Fou now. Happy I got to try it, can't imagine I will again.

[​IMG]

Kinda cheating here since I have no idea what this was like fresh, but this was a bizarre Uli blend. A few different lambics plus Rochefort 8 and 10, aged in a Calvafort barrel, whatever that is. Best before 3/17/2018, so we were just under the wire! I really can't describe it, there was so much going on, it was enjoyable but very strange. Dark, smokey, tart, funky, just very complicated.

18. davey101

davey101

I miss the 'ol 750's of this beer. A shop near my apartment in college had cases on the shelf that never sold and I used to sprinkle one in every now and then and just make a day of it.

Treebs, GRDave, FTowne and 2 others like this.
  19. matedog

matedog

Clearing bottles I really shouldn't be cellaring before the move:
    [​IMG]
    B1 Winification - Original review from like 4 years ago said "BT but slightly sour." It pretty much tastes the same, though the sour/fruit flavor is starting to conflate with the standard Bruery oxidation that they seem to have problems with.

[​IMG]
    6/18/14 Temptation - Perhaps the 15% abv beer I had beforehand threw me off, but I was surprised how much I liked this. I usually think Tempt is the least interesting of the standard RRBC sours, but this had some good green apple notes and the brett was really strong. I'm not sure if that's attributable to age or batch, but this had a lot more going on than the standard one note dry white grape thing Tempt usually has.

20. stupac2

stupac2

Them's fightin' words.