Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. davey101

davey101

Working through another Fingolfin beer and proper glassware. 2012 vintage. Cap rusting a bit under the wax. Nose and taste is just awesome smoke and chocolate with some lingering licorice. Not as intense as Alaskan's porter making it really drinkable. Super smooth and drinking so great right now. I really dig this beer!
    [​IMG]

2. davey101

davey101

Fingolfin again! The GOAT smoked beer. I've only had this beer fresh to about two years old. I love how genuine and complex the smoke always is in this beer, it's not just a generic smoke flavor. Nose is smoked meats, sweet fruit, and roasted malts. Taste is a lot milder then fresher bottles with the smoked tamed down quite a bit and some nuttiness and sweeter fruity notes peaking through. Ends with some lingering ash and porter chocolate/coffee and some brightness. Zero oxidation and drinks so easily. Such a perfect beer.
    [​IMG]

3. jdd419

jdd419

I like this beer fresh, not a lot going on but very clean and sour. TRB had some sour patch kids beers for a few years, this was not and still isn't. Big fan of this while grilling on a 33° day

[​IMG]

4. GRDave

GRDave

2012 BN, stored in my non-conditioned basement cellar.
    [​IMG]
    At opening, nose was all licorice and cardboard. As it sat after about 5 min, is typical BN, licorice, oak and bourbon

First few sips had some oxidation, but like the nose, it went away after sitting for a few minutes. Still has a hint of oxidation. Mouthfeel seems to have thinned out as well. Something similar I see with aged Expo, there's always some sludge settled at the bottom. Very smooth bourbon finish, and still a great supper. But I don't see these getting any better. YMMV.

5. Matterhorn

Matterhorn

2011 Old Stock Brandy Barrel so released in 2013 I believe.

Don't ask me why but I bought a case of these at the time because Pennsylvania. Never had a ton of carb but is pretty much still at this point. Barely made a sound when I pulled the cork. Smell is still amazing boozy raisins/plums. Delicious but almost too sweet for my palate right now. Maybe dropping off a bit from the last one I drank 6-8 months ago.

6. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Best before end of 13’ per the label. Another cellar dweller I was a little afraid of opening. Tootsie rolls w a pleasent spice. Prickly carbonation. I wouldn’t say it improved w age, but whatever the yeast is doing I’m definitely a fan of.

[​IMG]

ExPimp, GRDave, landrewg and 2 others like this.