Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. Tlo4sho

Tlo4sho

Apricoty as well?

2. matedog

matedog

I still have a 2012 which I should open soon. If that is similarly delicious, I may have a new found love for aged Temptation.

3. stupac2

stupac2

[facepalm] Maybe I'll get those fruits confused less when both my trees are fruiting.
    Did you ever have any B4 when it was around at Toronado and such? That might've been the best beer RR has made, alongside B3 Beat. IIRC it's fallen off pretty hard, but it's like 8-9 years old so that's hardly surprising.

GRDave, Tlo4sho and Gonzoillini like this.
  4. Tlo4sho

Tlo4sho

I've done it myself from time to time.

GRDave likes this.
  5. matedog

matedog

I've heard mythical things about it and was kicking myself for not ordering it when it was available for on site at the brewpub for awhile.

Given the results my Beat mini-vert I did awhile back, I'm wondering beginning to think they are a rare case (for me) of their beers actually being better with 3-5 years.

GRDave and Gonzoillini like this.
  6. stupac2

stupac2

Mmmm, 2013 Pliny...

GRDave and davey101 like this.
  7. matedog

matedog

Nah, I'm thinking B1 Row 2. Still got a case that I'm hoping to flip...

davey101 likes this.
  8. holldy01

holldy01

Got this at the end of last year. A bit over the hill. Opens flat and a bit dull but brightened as it warmed. No grapefruit but there is some lemon. Not bad but lacking depth, just a bit dull.

robertgoulet, Treebs, GRDave and 5 others like this.
  9. Shakedwnst

Shakedwnst

Had a 5 year old pour at a philly beer week event a few years ago and have been sitting on a few bottles of ‘15 ever since....

I liked temptation, but that older batch was really something else.

Treebs, GRDave, iong516 and 3 others like this.
  10. stupac2

stupac2

[​IMG]

2010 Orval. I bought this not too long after I got into beer, and have been holding onto it since. I think I waited too long, the brett had evolved in a direction that I didn't love, although toward the end of the glass it was warming up to me. Still very enjoyable though. I've been pretty derelict about getting more Orval, although at the last Whole Foods beer sale I grabbed a few, I should really have a case or two.

Moondog, Treebs, Calcifer and 13 others like this.
  11. regularjohn

regularjohn

[​IMG]

Photekut, Stubs, Moondog and 17 others like this.
  12. fogindex

fogindex

There's a place in S. Lake Tahoe that has Orval from 2011-on, I had an '11 paired with wild boar for Thanksgiving a few months back that was fantastic. Actually they may have these glasses for sale if you ask (I'll ask next month if you're still ISO):

[​IMG]

13. CommanderofAwesome

CommanderofAwesome

[​IMG]

This has held up surprisingly well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. Snarf

Snarf

Surprisingly? Was it stored in the trunk of your car or something? 2 or 3 years before those are even drinkable, 5 is just getting good!

15. matedog

matedog

Yeah, I posted my take on an 01/03/05/07/09 set not too long ago: https://www.talkbeer.com/community/posts/1352162/
    They were all great and holding up super well. I’m not much of an old beer guy but the 01 was my favorite because the softer carb made for a nice smooth mouthfeel.

16. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]

Glad I didn't move this bottle. November 2012 SITR. I still really enjoy fresh SITR, but this was an oxidized mess. It doesn't bode well that every Bruery beer I've had at 4+ years has had serious oxidation issues. It hadn't gotten overly acidic at least.

17. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]

Sat down with this guy last night since its been resting 2 years in the bottle now. I heard reports that this has “gone downhill” as soon as 6 months after it was released.

I honestly dont know what people are talking about and im trying to understand but I just dont get it. This brew is phenomenal. The only thing I can make out that has changed about it is that while fresh it had more sweetness akin to vanilla/caramel and now it has seemingly dried out a bit having more focus on its earthen roastiness and even some smokiness poking through mingled with oak. After nearly chugging half the pour, I let it sit at room temp for a good 30-45 minutes while playing games with my kids. Came back to it and it was like liquified boozy chocolate.

18. Gaseous Clay

Gaseous Clay

You drank two of my birthday bottlings in one share I am rather envious.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  19. stupac2

stupac2

Which ones?

20. Gaseous Clay

Gaseous Clay

You buyin' me a present? ;)

Both the 2009 LPG and 2007 OGV were bottled on 12/27
    A special day for lambic. Its also JVR's birthday.

Tlo4sho, Marc and Gonzoillini like this.