Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. landrewg

landrewg

How about the CBS? (And the charcuterie?)

Tlo4sho and Gonzoillini like this.
  2. AndresR

AndresR

Went to an event on Sat.

2003 Doggie Claws (Magnum): drinking really well! Almost no oxidation.

2010 Rare: drinking exceptionally well. I couldn't believe how well it held up. The nose was also still fantastic.

Calcifer, iong516, davey101 and 10 others like this.
  3. flexabull

flexabull

I haven't posted here in a while, but MarkIntihar sent me this a few weeks ago so here goes.

[​IMG]

Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout - Feb 19 2016

Smells like bakers chocolate and booze. Taste is quite hot, that 17.1% is still making itself known. Bitter chocolate, light coconut, slight barrel presence, but it's like the big booziness just overwhelms it all. Nice full body.

I've had a couple of the big gravity beers from Avery before. And this one seems to go down the same road as those did, just too much alcohol. Tasty enough, but I'd prefer this to be more like 11-13%.

Calcifer, Tlo4sho, Treebs and 15 others like this.
  4. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

A few more cellar dwellers,

[​IMG]

Trappistes Rochefort 10 - BB 270716. Multilayerd brown sugar, chocolate, leather and that unique floral/peppery Rochefort yeast. Thinning out a bit. I wouldn't go so far as to say this improved with time, but it certainly held up well. I don't see myself trying to age this one again.

[​IMG]

SN Bigfoot 2012. I've got a few of these still in the cellar. A unique blend of oxidation, pungent hop bitterness, and toffee like malts w a stone fruit sweetness. The finish isn't as astringent as it's been on previous bottles, and I'm enjoying it more than I have in the past.

[​IMG]

Anchor Old Foghorn - 2012. Blind pour. Belgian candi sugar, fig jam, vinous, grape laffy taffy, maybe a little herbal hops. Not much in the way of oxidation. Just a very sweet (but stops just short of being cloying) sipper. I wouldn't mind buying a sixer of this to pull a bottle from every couple of years or so.

ExPimp, furley, landrewg and 12 others like this.
  5. davey101

davey101

2013-2015 vert. Purchased at the same location at the same time. Guess they found a stash of them? 2013 was still good but starting to go down hill. Slight oxidation and the saison element of it just not holding up to the lambic. 2014 was the best of the bunch, very drinkable with a light funk and citrus notes. Super gusher though. 2015 was a drain pour. Must have been a bad bottle, opened silently and poured almost still. Slightest carb and smells and tastes like the seal was compromised. Oxidized and notes of rotten apples. Sad they no longer make this beer, although I don't think it's the best candidate for aging.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

(Link to media)

very weet, still some descent amount of hop left, tad oxidized, probably let this sit too long

davey101, Nivek43, Calcifer and 10 others like this.
  7. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

(Link to media)

weyerbacher blasphemy 2014

terrible, lots of apple and some tartness, drain pour, I used to drink these at 1 year old where I really enjoyed it but this one slipped by

davey101, Nivek43, Calcifer and 11 others like this.
  8. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

(Link to media)

NC old stock bourbon barrel aged 2009

very sweet, vanilla, caramel, this was the star of the night, absolutely delicious as long as you like sweet beers, well balanced, did not intend for this to be aged this long but I didn't like this when it first came out but about ten years later wow

davey101, Nivek43, Calcifer and 16 others like this.
  9. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

(Link to media)

lost abbey serpent stout 2014

still very carbonated, roasted coffee, slightly bitter, it's better than fresh

10. maximum12

maximum12

Boooo. I had one of these (the old 22 oz. capped ones, not the newer corked & caged) at about six years a couple summers back & it was mind-bogglingly good. I have a couple of the 2015 put away based on this experience...I hope your bottle was an aberration!

davey101 and Der Fuchs like this.
  11. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

I certainly hope yours are still OK too. Never knew they previously were in bombers, good to know. Let us know how yours turn out. cheers

I didn't post it, but I recently had a four year old St. Bernardus 12 and it didn't turn out well. I still have 8 bottles left from the case I bought so hopefully the other bottles are tastier.

maximum12 likes this.
  12. yabu

yabu

Opened up BA Old rasputin XVI. Oxided! Totally undrinkable, we all had a little sip and were in agreement. Been kept in the fridge since the day I bought it. Very sad.

I messaged NCB, and got a response basically saying it's your fault waiting so long.

13. stupac2

stupac2

Why would you expect any other response?

14. mikehblack

mikehblack

Just found one of these tucked away that I forgot I had. Pretty excited to try now. Love me some Old Stock.

PurityControl88 likes this.
  15. flexabull

flexabull

I drank an Old Rasputin X when my daughter was born in 2013 and it tasted great.

PurityControl88, tikk and Photekut like this.
  16. yabu

yabu

nice!

I thought BA OR was ideal for aging, never heard of oxidation of their bottles.

Photekut likes this.
  17. stupac2

stupac2

...that's not how this works. For one, oxidation is one of the main drivers of the process and oxidative flavors are one of the main things you're expecting. Two, there's always variation between batches, bottles, everything. Nothing is consistent, it's all local. Three, the longer you age, the more you're taking a risk and the more you should expect things to go wrong (and the more you should expect things to get oxidized). Four, barrel-aged beers are already "older" than their bottle date because of the process of barrel aging. So being surprised that a 4-year-old BA beer is "oxidized" is baffling.

It doesn't really help that "oxidized" is kind of meaningless, did it taste musty? Cardboardy? Stale?

18. danbanana

danbanana

Dear Brewery,

I took your product and conducted an uncontrolled experiment on it and the results were less than stellar. Please correct this. Thanks.

19. tosh

tosh

I never post in here.

A while a go I asked for old bottles of Santification. I owned some and I got some, I did not keep track of what I opened or who sent or any of that stuff.

I have been randomly opening bottles from Batch04 (‘09?) thru latest batch. I am not sure I learnt anything relevant.

Some older bottles were great, some sucked. I ended up with about 4 cases of various vintages. The bottle variation was real. I was just greatful to grt a bunch of beer to drink.

Tonight I drank this

[​IMG]

Ace as fuck. Way better than the “15 the other week but not on par of the last Fresh batch I opened. Srs. The last 2 ‘15 bottles gave been okay, but not great at all. Maybe If I hold on another year or so....

Santification is always great, but damn it is all over the place when you age it.

Still got a case plus of various vintages from batch 04 onwards. I look forward to the adventure.

20. Tlo4sho

Tlo4sho

[​IMG]