Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. fogindex

fogindex

Liked strictly due to my favorite glassware in the world; where all other glasses of mine have failed, aye but this one, this sturdy chalice, will outlast all of us.

landrewg, sfsea and tosh like this.
  2. libbey

libbey

2010 Victory Dark Intrigue

Very generous gift from stakem

The beer opens with a slight pop. Good sign for an older cork and caged stout. Beer pours a pitch black with a little cap of khaki head that holds throughout the session. Nice lacing.

Smell is all your looking for in an older beer. Dark fruit and leather. Minimal barrel notes at this point but the malt is shining through. Oxidation creeps in as it warms but it never distracts from the beer if anything it adds another layer for me.

A really nice beer that has held up for close to a decade. Impressive. Thanks so much for sharing Adam.

3. sfsea

sfsea

confirmed. i use that glass almost every day and have bumped/knocked/dropped it in a way that would have broken any mortal glass countless times.

4. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

Well fucking done.

mrk_d, landrewg, davey101 and 4 others like this.
  5. whitehouse50

whitehouse50

(Link to media)

(Link to media)

2010 De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva: I was very worried after finding that "funk" underneath the cap. After some quick searching on the other site, the same thing was found by other people and said it was nothing to worry about.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this beer, but for me it was disappointing. Others really enjoyed it, but I found it to be on it's way to the sour side, it had a delicate tartness and the flavor was differently sweet, sorry for the vagueness. I really enjoy regular Stille Nacht so wouldn't a barrel improve it? Maybe for the price I was expecting more. Reserva was more dulled down and the results just weren't for me.

6. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

Stone's Bastard's Midnight Brunch 2016.
    Recent on the shelf find. I drank this over two nights and enjoyed it way more the second night. Base beer is all kinds of sweet raisins aged barleywine but w an astringent finish from all the leftover hops. The coffee and maple syrup are still hanging in there and w the nutty oxidation almost remind me of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Light bourbon on the finish (like on KBS, not too strong, but there). Overall a good bottle that benefited from a little oxidation.

7. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its the Bruery’s 10th anniversary so getting into these seemed fitting.

Ive heard for a long time that these just arnt worth chasing after anymore because they are too far gone. If anyone still has some, hit me up cuz I loved every boozy ounce of them.

Each of them displayed varying levels of caramel, vanilla and molasses-like sweetness contrasted by tobacco, leather, oak and distinct roastiness tasting like chocolate. Booze all over the place with the bourbon version seemingly the most hot, brandy close behind and rye being the most tamed.

The bourbon version had distinct booziness that really leaped out the glass, brandy was right there with it but had more of a vinous character. Rye had the most barrel aspect even coming across like toasted coconut was added to it. There was noticeable leathery oxidation in these but it was way into the aftertaste and by no means even a leading characteristic. In fact, ive had brews half as old as these bottles taste older and more oxidized.

8. stakem

stakem

This weekend I got together with some family members I rarely see. Turns out my cousins enjoy trying different beers so I dug a couple out.

[​IMG]
    8 year old Mother of all storms. Think its probably been 5 years since I last drank one of these. Delicious, not as sweet as I recall.

[​IMG]
    Chocolate cherry bourbon big black voodoo daddy. Its been 2 years since I last drank this one and what a fucking gem it has turned into. Fresh it was quite dry, bitter, roasty and solvent with alcohol. This has seemingly aged into a completely different beer with no noticeable alcohol inclusion, wonderful barrel flavors, cherry and chocolate sweetness all over the place.

[​IMG]
    Has it really been 8 years since Kabert was a thing? Super rar upside down label version too lol.
    Sharing an 11oz bottle 3-ways didnt really give me much an opportunity to think about what was in my mouth so ill likely solo another bottle here shortly to have better notes. Having said that, the port/wine barrel was readily evident and the roasty chocolate base beer is starting to open up with some oxidative quality I enjoyed.

9. Rowingbrewer

Rowingbrewer

Still working on the 2011 hoppin frog barrel aged naked evil I posted in ddt 2 hours ago. Having a 3 month old and drinking are very not ven diagram.

Now that it’s warmed up the slight boozyness is more prominent. I get more caramel on the nose. the carbonation is still there and I get fig and brown sugar flavors with a little bitterness in the finish. Wish I had another to share with friends but who am I kidding, fathers of 3 month olds don’t get let off their leash for nights of drinking often.

10. davey101

davey101

I'm sure this is a huge surprise, but yeah, aged expy is pretty incredible. The licorice gets dialed down and it's just classic Russian imperial stout notes through and through with a touch of oxidation and sherry. Much prefer the '15 over the '13. '13 was just a bit muted and ashy where as the '15 is in a sweet spot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Phin, BeersMorgan, Photekut and 18 others like this.
  11. joshruffin84

joshruffin84

We did a five year vertical of this a few months back and yeah, we all liked the two and three year old bottles best. Still hanging onto one '13 for science, but I don't expect it to get any better.

12. PHBoiler

PHBoiler

[​IMG]
    5/2014 BroSo from last weekend

You can see the carb and the bones holding up nicely. Big time lime zest. Some blood orange soda. Nice minerality. Reserved hint of tartness. Semi-dry. Yeasty, fruity, and grassy. Decent amount of hay. Damn spectacular bottle. I feel like that 5/2014 batch has been talked about multiple times. It's still absolutely fantastic. No signs of slowing down.

13. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

I bought a bunch of these back in 2012 and for the longest time I was just trying to get through them and not really enjoying them. However, a recent bottle I had (12/27/12) was great. Almost vineous and port-like at this point. Woody note from fading hops, toast/espresso finish.

14. stakem

stakem

I opened some hair of the dog Adams for science

First was a 2004 bottle that had plenty of its age showing but was still tasty in my opinion. Papery oxidation, sherry and even some tobacco/smoke.
    Then a fresh bottle of Adam that was heavy on the pete but enjoyable for how fresh it was.

Lastly... 2011 adam from the wood
    My god this beer was nearly perfect when it was freshly released and here 7 years later it still amazes the hell out of me. What a gem.

jedwards, Phin, tosh and 12 others like this.
  15. Rowingbrewer

Rowingbrewer

2010 Brooklyn black ops in proper glassware. Still cold as I had it in the beer fridge. Faint barrel flavors along with mild oxidation. Very little carb. Actually enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Perfect beer for a summer night

Gonzoillini likes this.
  16. Kasher

Kasher

17. PrinceCasual

PrinceCasual

I've always thought that was a good, balanced beer, kind of like Velvet Merkin.

Both of those get hate because they are billed and priced like a top flight barrel bomb stout, which isn't what they are brewed to be, but sadly are priced like. Either of these in like a $20 4x16oz can for the summer would be outstanding, a session BA stout if you will.

PurityControl88 and Gonzoillini like this.
  18. Rowingbrewer

Rowingbrewer

Definitely higher priced for what it is. But all Brooklyn 750s are. Perfect beer for a summer night was a joke. I’m trying to clear out my cellar and I have A beer fridge in the living room full of da beetus beers

Gonzoillini likes this.