Cellared Beer Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by Treebs, May 9, 2015.

1. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

Best by 12/2034 per the bottle so I'm assuming this is a 2014? Tasting great right now with all the creamy, cheesy, lactic acidity and musty barnyard I dig in lambic. Still has that minerality/wet gravel note I remember from the first time I tried this beer. Maybe a tad bit maltier. While this has been in my cellar for a bit I'm willing to bet this same batch is still on the shelf where I bought it.

2. stakem

stakem

Using that same dating system assumption (20 years best by) years ago I stumbled upon cases of their kriek bottled in 2004. I only bought a single bottle being unweary of the storage conditions. It was a fine brew, went back to buy more and they were wiped out.... when I asked about them the fellow said: we put all our outdated beer out at clearance price and it was gone in a day. They sold 12-15 year old bottles of Cantillon for $4.

I drink a lot to try and erase those words from my memory.

3. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

[​IMG]

2015/2016 bottle. Exactly what I hope for when I set aside these pricey little green bottles instead of drinking them as soon as I buy them. Sharp decaying lemon acidity w all kinds of barnyard funk as a base. Dry and crisp. If you have any of these I would encourage you to drink one now as they are doing fantastic.

BeerandNoise, Phin, KevSal and 12 others like this.
  4. iong516

iong516

Yeah it's pretty common to see '14s on the shelf, but not for $8.

BeerandNoise likes this.
  5. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Are you implying they're cheaper or more expensive? 750's are on sale in the low teens in these parts.

6. iong516

iong516

I've lived in only expensive beer areas I guess :(

Phin, KevSal and PurityControl88 like this.
  7. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

Or I live in an area where no one cares about anything. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. IronDave

IronDave

[​IMG]

The Bruery Rueuze, 9-10-2013. Acquired about 2 years ago, on sale, for 8.99.

Certainly this did not have the intricacies or the subtleties of a true Belgian gueuze, but I wasn't expecting that. Very tart and sour on the palate, with apricot, stone fruit, and some lemon. Nicely carbonated. An enjoyable experience, although I don't know if there was anything added by 5 years of (nondeliberate) aging.

Phin, tosh, PurityControl88 and 4 others like this.
  9. KevSal

KevSal

i was going through my bruery sours from 2013-2015, and was checking them out on untapped, either they are all drinking fantastically or being drank by fan boys. i wanna think fantastically because their newer sours aren’t drinking nearly as good. anyone open one of these up recently? i got a 2013 oude tart with cherries on deck. i bet stakem has shelves of these sours!

i think i still have a mother funker and b1 sour in the rye floating in some box too i should probably fish out

10. matedog

matedog

Most have oxidized horribly. The Mother Funker wasn’t bad though, but the 2012 SITR I had earlier this year sure was. Pretty much any non BT Bruery beer I’ve had with four/five plus years has oxidized badly with a few exceptions.

11. stakem

stakem

I agree with matedog I had cases of sour in the rye and oude tart (along with their fruited versions) that were all 5+ years old. I think the peach one was always my wifes favorite. Anyway, I ended up giving them all away to my buddies who are fanboys or I offered them up in a bulk trade for shelf Fantomes.

Im down to about 2 cases of bruery sours and then they will finally be gone. I have a couple im saving that are tagged for drinking with a buddy: OG batch of bottleworks and its rebrew, the 2 vitis brews (man that first one was still awesome when I last had it.)

I also have a bottle of mother funker that I was saving for my friend who passed away. I think ill keep that one forever unopened as a tribute to him and reminder of what Bruery sours are capable of being.

12. stupac2

stupac2

Had some fun at Falling Rock last night:

[​IMG]

'96 Thomas Hardy's, this was served way too cold so all you could taste at first was must, but as it warmed the nice butterscotch/fig flavors started to dominate. It was dead flat so I was a bit worried, but it turned out great.

[​IMG]

'97 Thomas Hardy's, after the last one we realized that it needed to warm, but even after giving it time it never hit the high of the '96. The flavors were very similar, just more muted.

[​IMG]

'07 Thomas Hardy's. After the last one I wanted to try going much newer, but it turns out this was too new! It still had a bitter finish and the oxidation hadn't really had a chance to take over yet. I've had a lot less Hardy's than JW Lees, but 11 years is plenty for them, I guess it's not for Hardy's!

GRDave, Zach, robertgoulet and 16 others like this.
  13. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]
    Black Damnation - the numberless one that was a collab between de molen and struise

I think this is 9? years old at this point. As you can see, its healthy with the carbonation and I did it no service by opening it at cellar temp with no chill down. Despite the hefty carb, its not distracting - its roasty, almost smoked feeling with tobacco, leather, anise and plum/raison and has a long lingering alcohol burn. Damn, I thought I mighta messed this one up and let her sit too long but damn if she cant go even longer...

GRDave, JMir, Der Fuchs and 15 others like this.
  14. stakem

stakem

[​IMG]
    2014 southampton double ice bock
    Buttery caramel and orange zest. It could sit for a couple decades im sure but I enjoyed this quite a bit

[​IMG]
    2003 World Wide Stout
    This was the first batch that had a new label without vim and vigor present and/or crossed off.
    Ive opened a number of these over the years and the last one had some soy action going on so I decided to drink another sooner rather than later. This one had zero oxidation/signs of its age... to the extent I had to double check to make sure I didnt accidentally open a younger bottle. Straight port, chocolate and roast. Im down to a mixed six pack of wws from ‘02-06 and that kinda makes me sad as I dont want to wait 5+ more years to see if younger wws has the same potential.

GRDave, Der Fuchs, sliverx and 17 others like this.
  15. jedwards

jedwards

*applause*

sliverx, Zach, ExPimp and 3 others like this.
  16. iong516

iong516

[​IMG]

Saw some old items up for cellar sale on FB, and in the post the guy said he had a bunch more mid 2000s-10s stuff he was looking to get rid of. I messaged him asking about lambic, and although he had already gotten rid of his old loons, he had a bunch of cool stuff at reasonable prices. Got this and some 2010ish 'tomes for $30 each, and dug into this tonight. He had mentioned that the last one he opened was significantly oxidized, but this bottle is treating me well. It tastes more charred than I expected, but otherwise all the BA barleywine descriptors one might imagine are here. Raisin/fig/port, a leathery character from the barrel, some lingering spirit heat, no overwhelming cardboard...

I'm not sure that he'll ship, but if anyone is looking for a bunch of reasonably priced old BW, and some more expensive other things like old RR, New Belgium, etc, I could ask him about putting folks in contact.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  17. BeersMorgan

BeersMorgan

Had my last fumapapa last night. It was excellent. The smokiness had dropped of a bunch since last time I had it a few years ago. Subtle smoke, beautiful mouthfeel, would love to have more before they fall off.

Der Fuchs likes this.
  18. landrewg

landrewg

Thanks to libbey for this one. Love this beer fresh and it got smoother with time. Cherries and oak goodness.
    I kinda miss the Baltic sharpness but this is really good.

GRDave, libbey, tikk and 11 others like this.
  19. brian4beer

brian4beer

[​IMG]

Xpost.

Checking in on the 07. Have not had this for three or four years. It has definitely lost a lot of the fullness/heat and mouthfeel it had years ago. It is now more thin and past its prime. Still very drinkable but heading towards the old Bcbs cardboard taste.

GRDave, davey101, matedog and 11 others like this.
  20. matedog

matedog

[​IMG]
    2012 Cascade Figaro

I have only had one old bottle of Cascade and that was a seven year old bottle of Kriek that was pretty alright. This was less so. Quite sour, muddled flavors, with some oxidation creeping in. I wrote a glowing review of this beer relatively fresh, that it had some surprising gueuze like grassy notes. This had none of that. It wasn't bad, but it has certainly gotten worse if it was as delicious fresh as I remembered.