Cellaring Petit Mutant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKtheGeneral

Reaction score
Just wanted to open this up. What're your guys thoughts on cellaring Petit Mutant from the February 2014 can release? It's a kriek-ish beer with brett but I could've sworn I saw somewhere someone saying that it's meant to be consumed fresh (mind you, I know a lot of beers are originally intended to be consumed fresh) but was curious as to what all of you thought regarding this subject, with this beer in particular.

Just wanted to open this up. What're your guys thoughts on cellaring Petit Mutant from the February 2014 can release? It's a kriek-ish beer with brett but I could've sworn I saw somewhere someone saying that it's meant to be consumed fresh (mind you, I know a lot of beers are originally intended to be consumed fresh) but was curious as to what all of you thought regarding this subject, with this beer in particular.
The card that came with the beer at the release says something like this "if we wanted you to age this beer we wouldn't have released it, this beer is ready to drink now"

I've also seen a lot of can variation on these.

I'm cellaring my last one.

I've also seen a lot of can variation on these.

Interesting, and makes me feel like maybe I shouldn't cellar my last one. I was really, really disappointed with the first one I opened, and maybe it was just an iffy/bad can.

I'm cellaring my last one.

Interesting, and makes me feel like maybe I shouldn't cellar my last one. I was really, really disappointed with the first one I opened, and maybe it was just an iffy/bad can.

I'm also cellaring my last one.

The first cans I had were more fruit forward with little to no funk, the last can I had actually had some funky qualities but the fruit suffered.

opened one this past weekend and it was still fruitalicious.
gonna cellar my last one for a while to see what the brett does...

The card that came with the beer at the release says something like this "if we wanted you to age this beer we wouldn't have released it, this beer is ready to drink now"

I'd love more breweries to believe this way. The worst offender is Deschutes with their 1 year in the future "Drink After" dates.

These were aged for 7 months before releasing. So there is that. I'm about 1/2 way through my case and have experienced 8/10 cans being fantastic. 2 were quite bready, zero tartness, and light on the cherry. I'll probably save one 4 pk for the year just to see what happens, but for the most part, these really are good to go right now. What's expected if we age this? More tart less cherries?
It's been a wish for a while for a brewery to put out a tart brew in a multi-pack format. Westbrook Gose, Petrus aged Pale are a couple. Nice to get PM locally and hopefully have this option again in the future.

These were aged for 7 months before releasing. So there is that. I'm about 1/2 way through my case and have experienced 8/10 cans being fantastic. 2 were quite bready, zero tartness, and light on the cherry. I'll probably save one 4 pk for the year just to see what happens, but for the most part, these really are good to go right now. What's expected if we age this? More tart less cherries?
It's been a wish for a while for a brewery to put out a tart brew in a multi-pack format. Westbrook Gose, Petrus aged Pale are a couple. Nice to get PM locally and hopefully have this option again in the future.
I've never heard anyone describe Petit Mutant as being tart, nor have any of the cans I've consumed been anything close to having any tartness. it's just a good cherry ale with some slight sweet funk

Had 2 cans, first was very off, medicinal, burnt plastic, drain pour, shared between many people who all agreed. Second can had a very very slight medicinal aroma, but tasted fine. I didn't think it was anything special though.

That being said, if I had received 4 or more cans I would have saved one for 6 months just to see what happens, I'm sure the brett will change it some.

Had 2 cans, first was very off, medicinal, burnt plastic, drain pour, shared between many people who all agreed. Second can had a very very slight medicinal aroma, but tasted fine. I didn't think it was anything special though.

cosign this experience in toto to a T

I've never heard anyone describe Petit Mutant as being tart, nor have any of the cans I've consumed been anything close to having any tartness. it's just a good cherry ale with some slight sweet funk

I'd be willing to bet he meant cherry tartness and not bacterial tartness, given the "light on the cherry" part.

That said, over time I don't see why we'd get any tartness, maybe a bit of funk as it's all brett brux. But mostly I just want some of the overwhelming cherry to fade a bit and let the rest of the beer make an appearance.

Back