Cellaring Suggestion???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namgnid

Reaction score
I bought a bottle of The Bruery Sucré yesterday and I'm looking to age it for a year but I live in Florida and cellars don't exist. Any recommendations on how I can properly cellar it without a cellar?

Thank you!!!

I bought a bottle of The Bruery Sucré yesterday and I'm looking to age it for a year but I live in Florida and cellars don't exist. Any recommendations on how I can properly cellar it without a cellar?

Thank you!!!

Temp controlled mini fridge.
Portable wine cellar.

Or if you are handy, you can tie into your A/C ducts and make your own closet cellar pretty easily.

Thank you!!!
Did you buy another bottle to try? There's not much point to cellaring a beer you've never had, especially a solera beer like Sucre where some percentage of it is already aged.

I only bought one but thank you for the advice. I have some other beers I will use the tips for cellaring on then that aren't aged. Thanks stupac2.

If your place is air conditioned to around the 70F mark, you could store it somewhere dark and away from any heat sources (usually closets are the best). If your place gets up past 75F your best bet is likely to just drink it sooner, because there is a good chance you'll do more harm than good by hanging onto it. As mentioned it is made up of various vintages of ale so it's pretty ready to drink now (though it will be boozy!).

Small wine cooler units are pretty inexpensive and don't take up a lot of room, so if you're looking to just store a handful of beers at a time it would be a good investment. I'm sure you could find a nook somewhere in your place to tuck it into.

Thanks LostBoyScout. Another question. How do you determine a beer you should cellar vs a beer you should drink right away?

Thanks LostBoyScout. Another question. How do you determine a beer you should cellar vs a beer you should drink right away?
That's a complicated question. There are some guidelines for what beers generally age well, but it all depends on your tastes. You need to try some older beer and figure out what you like before you can be certain, since everyone's tastes are different. If you can find a tasting group with some guys who have been around for a while this is easier, since otherwise you have to take a scattershot approach.

I talked about this some in here: http://www.talkbeer.com/community/threads/cellaring-faq.1488/

We all have different priorities and opinions on what to age, I have seven types that I put away: gueuze/lambic, stouts, barleywines, quads, sours, saisons*, and old ales.

* Only saisons with a souring agent like brettanomyces, generally

Stouts are the most commonly disappointing beer to age, because most are best fresh yet it's one of the most popular styles to age. Your best bet is to research which do well and which don't, and/or experiment with a quantity you're willing to be disappointed by.

We all have different priorities and opinions on what to age, I have seven types that I put away: gueuze/lambic, stouts, barleywines, quads, sours, saisons*, and old ales.

* Only saisons with a souring agent like brettanomyces, generally

Stouts are the most commonly disappointing beer to age, because most are best fresh yet it's one of the most popular styles to age. Your best bet is to research which do well and which don't, and/or experiment with a quantity you're willing to be disappointed by.

Brett isn't a souring agent. It adds a different layer of complexity, and is used in a lot of sour beer, but Brett itself doesn't make a beer sour.

Brett isn't a souring agent. It adds a different layer of complexity, and is used in a lot of sour beer, but Brett itself doesn't make a beer sour.

OK fair, the sourness is typically from lactobacillus or whatnot, I was referring to the acetic acid from brett. I should have said developing acidity + the extra compounds created in that process

Back