AMA Cellarmaker Brewing

Discussion in 'TalkBeer AMA' started by Os, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Os

Os

Welcome CellarmakerTim and thanks for agreeing to do this!

So, haven met both you and Connor and trying your beers...

1. I'm geeked to see that you will be pouring at the new Levi's stadium for 49ers games!. What's that mean to you guys?

2. You guys have already been working on some collabs with people like Jean from Tired Hands. What has been your favorite collaboration?

3. Who would you like to brew with next?

4. Your first bottle release is coming up. Can you tell us more about this beer?

2. RyanG

RyanG Previously Hot Dog Sandwich

No questions to ask CellarmakerTim, but just congratulations on the brewery. It is a very welcome addition to the City and Bay Area, and you guys are killing it with the hoppy offerings. I am there with my growlers at least once a week :D

Looking forward to what you guys have in store for the future, especially in bottles.

3. CellarmakerTim

CellarmakerTim

Hey Os! Connor and I are really excited to be here connecting with the community, so thanks for having us. I welcome any and all questions whether it's homebrewing, industry, philosophical or even personal.

1. So we kinda took a shot in the dark with Levi's. We ended up being the first (only?) small craft brewery to contact them. It sounds like the stadium is going to be ridiculously modern with an amazing attention to detail on the wine and food program. It seems however, although this may have changed, that the beer program was a bit lacking. Long story short, they liked our presentation and are bringing us in a few kegs at a time. To tell the truth I have no idea where in the stadium we will be, but I do remember something about a beer area, but I wouldn't expect the Public House.

This is great exposure for us to a crowd that we probably would have little towards. I don't think we will be very popular at first, with more common names leading the sales, but hopefully word will spread. If anything I can drink my own beer in a world class stadium which is wicked kick ass!

2. We are really trying to collab with people that we have a history with, or some kind of story. Collabs garner a lot of attention so they're good for sales, but they can come off as publicity stunts. That's why we are careful in choosing who we do it with; we don't want to devalue the beer in any way.

I can't really choose a favorite, they've all been awesome. It's hard to deny Taco Hands though. I think the video sums that up

The near future collabs will be Marin Brewing Company, my former employer. Also Connor and I are doing one with Monkey Paw/Hamilton's in San Diego which is the only account we''ve sold to down there.

3. I'd really like to work with Tim from Sante Adairius soon; we have talked, but nothing serious. And someday I'd like to work with, god even follow for a few days, Jeff Erway of La Cumbre who I kinda idolize...

4. Our first bottle is a 750mL Brett. Drei saison called Jezebel. It's a Drei bomb with huge pineapple aromas and, coming in at close to 8%, is just rich and juicy and spicy from the rye and Saison Dupont yeast. It is not sour, which some may be expecting, but it has a nice acidity. It's a great beer for food pairing. I'm very happy with it as our first release. We will be releasing it early next week, so stay tuned.

-Tim

4. Os

Os

so geeked to try that Jezebel!

you have quite a following out here in NJ... just off people I know... what are your plans for growing? Are you looking to grow a lot or stay mainly local?

gregkoko likes this.
  5. CellarmakerTim

CellarmakerTim

That's great to hear that people all the way out in NJ have heard of Cellarmaker. I'm from Boston originally and would love nothing more than having my beer on the East Coast. Alas, I could never see us getting regular distribution out there. I would never rule out the possibility of us doing a night in NYC or Boston here or there.

Connor and I talk about the growth of our company non stop. The main issue with expanding is how do we do it responsibly? Our brewing schedule has us making somewhere between 2-4 different IPAs and pale ales every two weeks and our self distribution allows those beer to go on tap at accounts within 0-72 hours after the tasting room (much ideally). That means everyone is drinking the freshest Cellarmaker wherever you may be. That is a model we don't want to mess with. We don't want our customers getting burned on an old keg. I've been in those shows a thousand times and I'm tired of it.

As presently staffed, we are reaching the limits of how much beer we can deliver. To increase a little isn't financially sensible. To increase significantly presents freshness problems as you begin to enter more accounts, some less open to the "fresh is best" issue.

For now, we are a San Francisco neighborhood brewery making beer for the Bay Area.

-Tim

6. drgarage

drgarage

I also mainly want to say congrats and thanks -- we met briefly a few weeks ago, and I've known Connor for quite awhile. It's so great to have a brewery with your approach to hops and freshness in the area, and I'm psyched to get some Jezebel bottles in the next couple of days.

Can you talk a bit about how you guys got going? If I recall correctly, I heard three years ago about winning a staff home-brew contest at a local store...

Stubs, DJPhresh and Os like this.
  7. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Not Patrick

Tim,

Please brew Equinox again.

8. jmgrub

jmgrub

Hey CellarmakerTim! Really enjoyed the collab with Curt (Smug Alert) as well as everything else I've had from you guys so far. Welcome to the site, and keep cranking out the great beer. Looking forward to stopping by next time I'm in the Bay. Sorry, none of that was a question.

RyanG and Stubs like this.
  9. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes

what other SNICK themed beers are in the works

(a doug one pls)

dagsy, RyanG, Stubs and 1 other person like this.
  10. sacrelicio

sacrelicio

Stopped in a few months ago (on the recommendation of some of the Bay Area dudes here) and was really impressed by Mo'Citra and Coffee & Cigarettes.

RyanG and jmgrub like this.
  11. MSardina1

MSardina1

CellarmakerTim

No questions here, just wanted to say your haircut is silly.

Oh, and you brew awesome beer. So, thank you for that.

MrDave, bsmithinc, Sage and 1 other person like this.
  12. gregkoko

gregkoko

Yes please. A friend brought out a growler of Are You Afraid of the Dank on Saturday. It was superb.

13. CellarmakerTim

CellarmakerTim

Connor and I met while I was brewing at Marin Brewing and he worked front of the house. I instantly recognized him as a very beer knowledgable man and had some pretty good homebrew too! I never won anything for my home brews, Connor? Anyways Connor left and went to work at City Beer Store where he only furthered his knowledge. We reconnected a few years later when he was looking for a brewer to help him start a brewery. The rest of the story is basically long phone calls about money, hops and what the hell we were going to name the brewery. Not sure what exactly you want to hear but I can get as detailed as you like :)

14. CellarmakerTim

CellarmakerTim

I'm thinking Clarissa Explains it Ale. American blonde ale with teenage angst aged in denim overalls.

MrDave, huadog, litheum94 and 29 others like this.
  15. drgarage

drgarage

That's pretty much what I was looking for. I think Connor won some City Beer Store competition with a DIPA -- always assumed you were his brewing partner or at least an advisor once I tasted how great your hoppy beers were.

Also: Please make Questionable 2 again. And Permanent Daylight.

RyanG likes this.
  16. gregkoko

gregkoko

So you got your start at Marin...I'm actually a bit interested in the difference between brewing there and at Cellarmaker. Some friends of mine actually live a few blocks away in Larkspur and we went last summer. Were you basically brewing other people's recipes there? Did you have say one or two lines that were for you to experiment with? I enjoyed myself there, but the difference I had between their beer and yours was astounding.

shelf_turd_ferguson likes this.
  17. axeman9182

axeman9182

Yes please to a NYC night. Maybe I wouldn't have to pester FunkyMacGroovin to send me delicious SF hop juice as often.

18. CellarmakerTim

CellarmakerTim

Marin has a set line up of brews, especially Mt. Tam Pale Ale (Read: the money maker), that need to be brewed on a fairly set schedule. They produce a lot of beer out of a pretty small brewery. When there was time to make a new recipe, that gift belonged only to Arne, the head honcho. So yes, I brewed Marin's recipes only. But I continued to home brew, and I developed all of the other skills that are essential to running a brewery. Also, brewing the same recipes over and over again really internalizes what you like and don't like about them. Every time I brewed and tasted, I was assembling beers and theories about beer structure in my head, but not until Cellarmaker did I get to put them into practice. So to answer your question, some of the beers are different, because I am not Arne, but there are similarities with some styles. Most importantly I don't think I've brewed a "bad" beer yet and thats because Marin hasn't brewed one in a decade.

19. gregkoko

gregkoko

Didn't want you to think I thought Marin's beers were bad. Really dug the IPA and Marin-er Weisse when I was out there. Just wanted to pick your brain about the experience.

Cheers

20. axeman9182

axeman9182

What's your general approach to hop addition timing? I'm really trying to work on my technique/practices for homebrewing IPAs. Lately I've gone with just a bittering addition at 60 or 90 minutes and then a whirlpool addition at flameout and some dry hopping. Do you think there's anything you get from, say, a 15 minute addition that you don't get from a combo of bittering and flameout? Do you have a set schedule for your hoppy beers in terms of "We add hops at X, Y, and Z points in the brewing process", and then different recipes are just a matter of adjusting hop varietals and quantities, or might two different IPAs have hop additions at different times?

gregkoko, Rau71 and Beerontwowheels like this.