Charity LIF: An Airman in need

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by Compton25, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Compton25

Compton25

TB-

Coming to the community in hopes of helping out one of my troops facing a difficult medical situation. Airman May had volunteered for an upcoming deployment and during his medical clearance process the doctors discovered a mass behind his eye. The test came back malignant and he has now started his battle against cancer. He is scheduled for surgery on June 13th, followed by 6 weeks of chemo. The doctors hope to remove it all, but if they don't succeed then they will have to take his eye.

As a Reservist his medical costs are only covered when he is activated. Since he can no longer deploy, he is back to part time status and facing this with little to no civilian coverage. Anything raised will go to Airman May to help cover medical/transportation costs.

Rules
    For every $10 donated you will get one entry to the LIF. So if you donate $50 you get 5 entries, etc. I'll keep this open until July 8th. Below is a link to my Squadron's PayPal. When donating please include what it is for and your TB handle. For example "Airman May TB Compton25" Please also PM me the same info along with the amount. For transparency: You are donating to my unit's PP and at the end of the LIF my unit will present the funds to Airman May. If there any questions, feel free to ask!

https://www.paypal.me/96APS

https://www.facebook.com/96APS/

Prize

The winner will receive a lambic package containing the following:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Zach, Tlo4sho, brystmar and 41 others like this.
  2. jrstar96

jrstar96

Donated. Hate to hear this and wish we would do more for our troops. Sad to hear reservist don't have the same type of coverage; I always thought they did.

3. KevSal

KevSal

for you man

[​IMG]

i really hope your buddy makes a full recovery,
    please keep us updated!

does he happen to reside in CA? if so i can help navigate our super confusing medi-cal/covered california programs to help get him some type of ”affordable” coverage

it’s not that affordable :(
    but still better than paying out of pocket

4. Beerontwowheels

Beerontwowheels

Donated. TB’s finest helping the nation’s bravest.

I’ll also donate a second box of libations including some Garagiste mead/local beer. Details to come.

5. Compton25

Compton25

Thank you all for the donations already received! Talked to May earlier today. He’s holding up good and ready to get Wednesday’s surgery over with.

Will update everyone on his progress later this week.

6. jvanaus

jvanaus

Sign me up for a donation box as well. I'll dig through some stuff tonight and PM you / post in here.

Hope everything goes well with the surgery - fuck cancer.

7. raginasian238

raginasian238

Donated a little now; hopefully a bit more before it ends.

It frustrates and infuriates me to know that there's such a disparity with healthcare, considering all he has done for this country. And fuck cancer, indeed.

I'll add a box as well, of my usual (Suarez/Interboro beer and/or spirits/winner's choice of local things).

8. jvanaus

jvanaus

Alright, the baby cooperated and gave me some time, so I pulled some things out of the basement. Compton25 - here's my donation box: a little Florida, a little Illinois, and a little Kentucky.

[​IMG]

9. Donated to the best cause one TB.

10. Turfy

Turfy

11. rrrjjj

rrrjjj

Donated. Always happy to help a fellow service member. I hope for safe surgery and speedy recovery.

12. Compton25

Compton25

Thank you all for the donations! Please remember to PM me your donation amount so I can keep track for the drawing. Don’t want to leave anyone out.

13. ChaQuiseman

ChaQuiseman

Donated. I hope the surgery goes well today!

14. Compton25

Compton25

Spoke to May’s family, the surgery went great today! They were able to remove the mass without touching his eye!

After recovery he’ll start a round of chemo to make sure everything is gone. I will update as much as possible. Visiting him on Saturday and will pass on all the good vibes from TB!

Thank you all so much!

15. KevSal

KevSal

that’s fantastic news! happy to hear they could save the eye

still a long road left but off to a great start!

16. fbslim20

fbslim20

I’m in! Wishing him well during chemo

Gonzoillini, KevSal, jvanaus and 2 others like this.
  17. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker

My Mom passed away from cancer many years ago and I think about her every day. My wife is a Cancer doctor so I hear stories all the time. Time to conquer this shit.

Compton25 - put me down for a box. Not sure what I'll put in but I was lucky and got an extra bottle of 4R TB pick #005 - recipe OESV. Planned on passing it forward somewhere on here. Couldn't think of a better cause. I also have a Talkbeer Glencairn glass that I'll throw in. Probably some rando CO beers but who knows.

[​IMG]

18. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini

Having met Mark I can confirm he is a stand up human being, and as my Mother is also a cancer survivor I'm glad to help as much as possible.

Considering I spent a fair bit of $$$ on Fathers Day drinks and food, it only seems right to throw a little bit back to a great cause.

Cheers!

19. Josephandre

Josephandre

I'm definitely in for this. In general, and because my wife is battling cancer currently and the support we received was incredible.

GetchaPull, jmgrub, capnmike and 6 others like this.
  20. Compton25

Compton25

Had a chance to talk to May today. He just got discharged and is getting used to walking around on his own again. He’ll have a follow up this Thursday and hopefully get some more good news.

With everyone’s help we’re close to $500! I really appreciate the support TB has shown. Please do not forget to PM me your donation amount.. I have a few on my list to track down ;)

Thank you all again,
    Mark