Charity LIF: GCS Project (Cancer Research Group) UPDATED - TB 1-3 GLASSES ADDED

Discussion in 'Beer-It-Forward' started by schteve825, Apr 27, 2018.

1. schteve825

schteve825

My fiance (Lauren)'s mom has been battling cancer for the last few years. Recently her mom (Linda) was diagnosed with another form of cancer - GCS, which is a rare and very aggressive. Unfortunately this specific type of cancer is not well-researched and therefore treatment options are very limited. The cancer is spreading very quickly, and it does not look like Linda will have a lot of time left.

In light of that, my fiance's sister (Johanna) started a GoFundMe page a few days ago with two goals in mind: The first being to raise some funds ($3,000) to take Linda and the family on an RV trip to the Grand Canyon - something she has always wanted to do, but never got the chance to. The second goal is to donate to the GCS Project, which is a group dedicated to advancing research on this type of cancer. The first goal has been reached, and any further donations will go directly to this research group, which I am hoping to help my Lauren and Johanna raise money for. It would mean a lot to me, my fiance, and her family if the TalkBeer community can help us raise money for this charity.

Here is the link to the GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/linda-denne-legacy-and-gcs-fund?member=100148

Here's a link to the GCS Project's Website: http://gcsproject.org/

Rules:

For every $10 donated you will get one entry to the LIF. So if you donate $50 you get 5 entries, etc. I'll keep this open for about a month - let's say May 27th. Once we close it out I will draw names and the lucky winners will get some beer shipped right to their front porch! Winners can choose their box in order - i.e. 1st name drawn gets 1st pick, 2nd name gets 2nd pick, and so on.

After you donate, take a screenshot or print a receipt and PM it to me. I'll shoot you a message back letting you know that you're in.

Boxes:

The first three boxes will be coming from me, Lauren, and Johanna (fiance and her sister). The second two will be coming from some of our awesome beer-loving friends back in our homeland of NJ.

Box 1: Some DeGardes + Some Staves
    DeGarde Nelson Hose
    DeGarde Deutsche Hose
    DeGarde The Apricot
    DeGarde The Little Peach
    Crooked Stave Mama Bear
    Crooked Stave Baby Bear

Box 2: All Crooked Staves
    L'Brett d'Cherry
    L'Brett d'Raspberry
    L'Brett d'Apricot
    Persica
    Surrette Reserva Roadside Peach
    Surette Reserva Raspberry
    Crooked Stave Glass of your choice

Box 3: Other CO Locals and Random Cellar Stuff
    Two 4-packs Fresh Weldwerks IPAs are available at the time of shipping.
    Trve Brewing Spirit Ritual
    Two Trve Brewing Beers TBA
    Trve Brewing Can Glass

Box 4: The Brady Box
    I don't know exactly what Brady's planning on sending, but he generously offered to contribute a full box. In his words it will contain "Some DeGarde and some stuff from the cellar. Definitely some glasses."

TalkBeer Glasses
    [​IMG]

Box 5: The South Jersey Gang Bang Team Box
    An assortment of beers from those beautiful bastards screwyouguys and ajfa531. Contents pending - will post an update on this one gets finalized.

------------

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to read through this and the GoFundMe page. And a huge thank you in advance to anyone who is able to donate. The generosity of the people on this website always amazes me and, as always, is greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2018
  2. capnmike

capnmike

Donated! The Grand Canyon is one of few things in this world that doesn’t disappoint, no matter the hype.

Also, fuck cancer!

3. Brady

Brady Moderator Staff Member

So, since this has been slow on the donations, I'm going to step it up... a bunch.

I'm putting into my box my Batch #001 Beertrading.org Willibecher. If donations reach $500 from TalkBeer, the Batch #003 Teku will be added. If donations reach over $1000 from TB, I'll add in the TalkBeer Batch #002 Mega Snifter.

I'll also be adding some De Garde beers, including some Keepers bottles. Make it worth it fellas.

[​IMG]

4. Brady

Brady Moderator Staff Member

Looks like capnmike is going to win some srs loot! Let's get the donations going, all.

rrrjjj, jmgrub, scramin85 and 3 others like this.
  5. MikeJones

MikeJones

Just saw this and donated.

My dad passed from cancer when I was pretty young. He spent a lot of time at Sloan Kettering seeing some of the best doctors in the world but '94 was a different time. It's entirely possible that if he had gotten sick today he would make a full recovery. Every penny spent donating to cancer research is worthwhile in hopes that future generations won't have to deal with the toll it can take on an individual and their family.

I hope the Grand Canyon can bring about as much peace as possible into your lives.

6. capnmike

capnmike

*unzips*

[​IMG]

jmgrub, mateoloco, scramin85 and 4 others like this.
  7. schteve825

schteve825

Thanks for jumping in and kicking things up a notch Brady!

And thanks to everybody who donated so far you guys are the best. Every little bit helps and is going straight towards kicking cancer's ass!

So far we have 4 people in the running and a total of $270 raised from the LIF! That puts us a little over halfway to the Willibecher and Teku. Let's keep the donations coming and hit those glass targets!

-Steve

8. RuckIt

RuckIt

Just donated! Wish it could be more!

Missed this one when it got posted... maybe Gene could pin it so it gets a bit more traffic?

Good luck with the fundraiser - lost my uncle to cancer earlier this year and can confirm that cancer can go fuck itself.

9. nanobrew

nanobrew

Donated!

I hope their Grand Canyon trip is an amazing time together. If I may be so bold, I suggest they take some more of those funds and explore Zion or Bryce, even if just a detour drive through.

10. scramin85

scramin85

11. Marc

Marc

Donated, not entering for the beer just FUCK cancer

Thought of doing something similar for my mom currently battling a very rare form of cancer

Happy to see you guys busted way through that goal :)

12. ajfa531

ajfa531

Included:

[​IMG]

- Joe

13. Shakedwnst

Shakedwnst

Fuck cancer is right.

Happy mother’s day everyone. Give your mom a big hug.

Luckily mine got to see her grandson, if only for a couple years, before we recently lost her to cancer.

14. schteve825

schteve825

Couple quick updates:

We're up to $430 donated! Almost to that first set of glasses.

Team SJ Box has some confirmed bottles ftom ajfa531:

HF Aaron
    Kane Mexican Brunch
    Kane 6th Anniversary
    Pending bottles from screwyouguys

15. NeedsMoreDog

NeedsMoreDog

payday, in

schteve825, capnmike, Brady and 2 others like this.
  16. fbslim20

fbslim20

Also in. Live every moment people.

17. schteve825

schteve825

Quick update while I have a decent connection and am able to spare some data that I've been hoarding for work until now.

We're in the middle of the trip now! Made it to the Grand Canyon for a few days and are now in Zion for the next 2 nights. It has been a great experience so far for everyone, especially for Lauren, her mom, and her sister.

On the LIF side, screwyouguys confirmed he will be throwing in bottles from Reverend either from his cellar or whats available from blenders - dealers choice.

We're up to $460 in confirmed donations with one pending. Almost at those sweet, sweet TB glasses!

Thanks again to everyone who donated or is helping out with boxes. You guys rock.

Cheers
    -Steve

KevSal, mateoloco, ajfa531 and 9 others like this.
  18. schteve825

schteve825

We've hit a total of $530 in donations, which means the TB Teku and BT.org Willibecher are in the mix. Less than a week left to get to the $1000 mark and get the Mega Snifter in there as well. Let's keep those donations coming and finish out strong.

Cheers
    -Steve

mateoloco, ajfa531, scramin85 and 6 others like this.
  19. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker

20. schteve825

schteve825

I'm a few days late, but Lauren and I drew winners tonight. We came in with a grand total of $630 in donations! Congrats to everyone that won and thanks to everyone who participated! Winners are as follows:

1) fbslim20
    2) Shakedwnst
    3) MikeJones
    4) capnmike
    5) NeedsMoreDog

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers
    -Steve