Charleston SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjs234

Reaction score
So i ****ed up my previous thread titled "Charleston NC"... should have been SC. Either way, starting a new one now with the proper title. Orig post below, same question, same city, different state.

Hey all.. i have a friend who is going to be vacationing in Charleston SC this weekend and he is looking for recommendations for food and beer. Food is self explanatory... good places to get grub. For beer, he is looking for breweries worth visiting and good bottle shops. Also accepted would be recommendations for places with both good beer and good food. Thanks all!

Best joint for good food and beer is hands down Edmunds Oast and is a must visit. Best breweries are probably Revelry, Westbrook, Coast.

Closed for Business is a good beer bar downtown. Charleston Beer Exchange is the best bottle shop.

If he really wants to eat well, Fig and Husk are the choices but Fig requires a reservation a month out, although he could walk in and eat at the bar. Two of the best restaurants in the SE. I've had a good meal at the Grocery also.

We got to Charleston a few times a year... the absolute must go to spots for us are:

Edmund's Oast for dinner
Hominy Grill for breakfast
Poogan's Porch for a good southern dinner. We've been to restaurants that are more highly acclaimed, more expensive, etc... but Poogan's Porch always plates up the best dinner, in our opinion.

While I love Westbrook, going there has been hit or miss. Sometimes I go there and they have some great options on tap and to buy to take away... othertimes we've been and it's been a waste of time.

Definitely would also suggest Closed 4 Business. Another one we like is Crafstmans Kitchen & Tap House. We just really like one of the bartenders there who helped us out a lot when we planned our wedding in the area. Good food, and above average beer menu.

Another thing we do most times we go, is at some point we'll go grab a drink at the rooftop bar at the Vendue hotel. Good views from up there, and they usually make some pretty good bourbon drinks.

Report from Charleston...

For starters, Edmund's Oast and Closed For Business were awesome, especially getting this at Edmund's Oast
5436416ae1eae2e5515bc8edec72bf54_640x640.jpg

Some of the prices were silly cheap at Closed for Business, and then there was the other extreme, where a 10oz pour was $11 for Crooked Stave Surette.

The same can be said about Edmund's Oast ($148 for barreled Mexican Cakes? Yikes.)

Food was unreal. Hit Cru Cafe, McCrady's, FIG, Hall's Chophouse, Xiao Bao Biscuit, R Kitchen, and Minero.

Also, random note, I had a Westbrook IPA with a canned date of October, and one with a January date. The October date was noticeably danker and better. Anyone else experience this with their batches? Also, the cans were at the same bar.

Really cool city, perfect for a long weekend.

One thing I think a lot of people don't k ow about Edmunds is, they have so many bottles in their cellar and not listed on the menu. If you ask the right person there you can usually getting anything but it's going to cost you. Also I saw one place that wasn't mentioned I love going to House of Brews to have a few drinks and pick up a few bottles or growlers to take home.

I grew up in Charleston and visit often and have a couple good buddies I trade with down there. I'll actually be down the weekend of March 5th and heading to Westbrook to do some damage. Hopefully hit Holy City for brunch as their menu looks killer or if not that, then Edmund Oast's is a close close second. If you are looking for bottles head to Charleston Beer Exchange, they have an amazing bottle list and have growlers as well. I definitely want to check out House of Brews, that one is new to me since my time there.

Y'all got uber down there? Gonna spend Wednesday Oct 19th in Charleston. Staying at the Andrew Pinckney and have reservations at Husk. Everything else is up in the air. I'm sure we'll do tons of touristy **** but definitely want to line up a brewery or beer bar or two while I'm there

Y'all got uber down there? Gonna spend Wednesday Oct 19th in Charleston. Staying at the Andrew Pinckney and have reservations at Husk. Everything else is up in the air. I'm sure we'll do tons of touristy **** but definitely want to line up a brewery or beer bar or two while I'm there
I can confirm about Uber.

Def uber. If you're only hitting one brewery and one beer bar, Westbrook is great, as is Edmund's Oast. I would personally rank places to go as:

1. Edmund's
2. Westbrook
3. Coast (beer is great, very barebones brewery space. Fun spot for sure though)

I haven't been to revelry or anything newer than them, though - a legitimate local might chime in and correct me, if any of them are on TB

Westbrook looks like it might be a bit far to Uber but we'll see. Will look into Revelry and Edmund's Oast. Maybe we'll hit Lagunitas

I am making a trip to Charleston this weekend (Sept 30th through Oct 2nd). Anyone up for a beer or two? Anything going on this weekend?

Bring up the dead thread.

I'm going to be in Charleston beginning of September. Any new suggestions for places to go? Staying at wild dunes on the Isle of Palms. We have Thursday and Friday open and a wedding Saturday and coming home Sunday. We are flying into Myrtle Beach because it was about $600 savings instead of flying into Charleston (also gained about 5 hours on Thursday since the flight didn't land till 9 pm).

Drinking and some food:
Westbrook
Two Blokes (pretty much a mile from WB)
167 raw
O'Hare and Flynn (wife would like this place)
The ordinary
Closed for Business
Prohibition
Warehouse

Nice upscale restaurant, I've seen these places listed.
Magnolia
Fig
Husk

Any other good suggestions?

I'll have a car but will mostly Uber so I can drink.

Thanks for any help.

Charles Towne Fermentory.

Head brewer used to work for Tired Hands and Trillium.

Awesome, place looks cool. Any idea about that part of town? Looked like a possible BBQ place down the street but not sure if walking a mile with my wife is ok.

Wife and I were there recently (briefly). Not nearly enough time for everything - Food is great, character of the city is awesome, yadda... Some quick highlights:

Food:
Husk was solid but nothing mind-blowing. You'll likely need a reservation either way.

Wanted to try FIG but it was closed at the time - have heard its one of the best in the city. Didn't have time for Edmunds Oast (although it was highly recommended) but there's a little breakfast/lunch place right next to it which was excellent - Butcher and Bee.

A little north of the city is Junction Kitchen Provisions. Breakfast all day. Good variety of food. Thought they had beer too but was way to hungover to think about that at the time.

Drinks:
Surprisingly great was Savannah Bee Company on King Street. They've got a nice little mead bar and tastings for pretty cheap ($7 for 5ish pours I think). Not all Juicy-Juice meads either which was nice. Some mead to buy and plenty of other honey products.

Kudu Coffee off of King Street is a nice small, relaxed spot for both beer and coffee. Plenty of taps, flights available. Pretty solid coffee as well. Black Tap was also a good option (but just for coffee).

Lastly, stopped at Holy City - lots of taps. Average beers overall. Pretzel was tasty. Looks like there's some other OK food options too.

Did both FIG and Husk in October. Husk was fairly overrated, but FIG was one of the most amazing meals I've had in a while. The cocktail bar next/connected to Husk is fantastic though. Enjoyed the hell out of that place

Park Cafe was a LEGIT breakfast spot. Still dream about Creamy Kale Toast and Oyster Mushroom Toast, the latter of which I now see was removed from the menu

Heading down to Charleston next weekend -- any updates that I should be aware of that haven't yet been mentioned in this thread?

Sad to hear Closed For Business and Craftsman closed. Both great spots, though I only visited once. I was really looking forward to hitting up CFB again someday.

Charles Towne Fermentory sounds like the place to drown those sorrows... any other new places open in the last year or so?

I’d be interested in hearing some new recs as well. Haven’t been down in over a year and am spending the weekend there next month. Definitely hitting up the fermentory...might have time for one more...anything new and shiny?

Sad to hear Closed For Business and Craftsman closed. Both great spots, though I only visited once. I was really looking forward to hitting up CFB again someday.

Charles Towne Fermentory sounds like the place to drown those sorrows... any other new places open in the last year or so?

If you like Belgian-style beers, I highly recommend checking out Munkle. Everything I've had there has been really well-executed, clean, properly fermented, looks great, etc. In addition to Belgian styles, they also make a pilsner which is one of the best in the Southeast. This is probably my favorite brewery in Charleston right now, and I'm not even typically a huge fan of non-lambic Belgian styles.

Edmund's Oast has opened a full-scale brewery in addition to their original location, it's part of a large mixed-used area intended to spur development in an area of Charleston just north of the gastropub. The new spot features a lot more in-house beer (most of it quite enjoyable), as well as much more reasonably priced (and very good) food. Who doesn't love a good reuben or cuban sandwich and a bunch of beer?

The area where Edmund's Oast Brewing Co and Munkle are located is also home to several other breweries, so if you want to hit several places without driving much, that's a good spot. None of them are as good as those two options, but Tradesman, Fatty's, and Lo-Fi are all worth checking out at least once to see what you think of them.

CTF is definitely worth visiting, it's only downsides are the parking/traffic in the area and lack of much else around. But the beers are mostly top notch, and they execute a wide variety of styles well.

Snafu is in North Charleston and have done several interesting things. The owner/founder Scott Koon (Skoon) is the guy who brewed most of the best stuff that Westbrook produced during their killer 2012-2014 period, including the OG BA Mexican Cakes. Try their stout Shadow of Death and any variants of it they might have available.

I’d be interested in hearing some new recs as well. Haven’t been down in over a year and am spending the weekend there next month. Definitely hitting up the fermentory...might have time for one more...anything new and shiny?
I’ve heard good things about Commonhouse, Rusty Bull is another new brewery on the north side of town. Edmunds Oast Exchange opened after I last visited, it’s been a couple years. Interested to hear some local recs too.

If you like Belgian-style beers, I highly recommend checking out Munkle. Everything I've had there has been really well-executed, clean, properly fermented, looks great, etc. In addition to Belgian styles, they also make a pilsner which is one of the best in the Southeast. This is probably my favorite brewery in Charleston right now, and I'm not even typically a huge fan of non-lambic Belgian styles.

Edmund's Oast has opened a full-scale brewery in addition to their original location, it's part of a large mixed-used area intended to spur development in an area of Charleston just north of the gastropub. The new spot features a lot more in-house beer (most of it quite enjoyable), as well as much more reasonably priced (and very good) food. Who doesn't love a good reuben or cuban sandwich and a bunch of beer?

The area where Edmund's Oast Brewing Co and Munkle are located is also home to several other breweries, so if you want to hit several places without driving much, that's a good spot. None of them are as good as those two options, but Tradesman, Fatty's, and Lo-Fi are all worth checking out at least once to see what you think of them.

CTF is definitely worth visiting, it's only downsides are the parking/traffic in the area and lack of much else around. But the beers are mostly top notch, and they execute a wide variety of styles well.

Snafu is in North Charleston and have done several interesting things. The owner/founder Scott Koon (Skoon) is the guy who brewed most of the best stuff that Westbrook produced during their killer 2012-2014 period, including the OG BA Mexican Cakes. Try their stout Shadow of Death and any variants of it they might have available.
Great info, thanks so much! Haven’t even heard of Munkle or Snafu, so i’ll definitely check those out. I’ve got a good buddy that lives near CTF, I think it might be walkable from a nearby pedestrian path. Hope to get out there sometime this summer, so this is super helpful!

I’ve heard good things about Commonhouse, Rusty Bull is another new brewery on the north side of town. Edmunds Oast Exchange opened after I last visited, it’s been a couple years. Interested to hear some local recs too.

I haven't been to Commonhouse but I've been meaning to check them out.

Also, if you go to Mt. Pleasant to visit Westbrook or otherwise (and Westbrook is always worth a visit, their lager and IPA game is really on point these days), Two Blokes is a good one to check out. If you really want to tick you can also go to Ghost Monkey, but I don't particularly recommend it. House of Brews, Coleman Public House, and some other good craft beer-related destinations also make the trip to Mt.P worthwhile.

I haven't been to Commonhouse but I've been meaning to check them out.

Also, if you go to Mt. Pleasant to visit Westbrook or otherwise (and Westbrook is always worth a visit, their lager and IPA game is really on point these days), Two Blokes is a good one to check out. If you really want to tick you can also go to Ghost Monkey, but I don't particularly recommend it. House of Brews, Coleman Public House, and some other good craft beer-related destinations also make the trip to Mt.P worthwhile.
Nice, I haven’t been to Mt. P yet. Looks like there’s plenty of options to explore though. What do you think of Craft Conundrum? Sounds like they get some wild drafts.

Nice, I haven’t been to Mt. P yet. Looks like there’s plenty of options to explore though. What do you think of Craft Conundrum? Sounds like they get some wild drafts.

Craft Conundrum is definitely a good one to check out. Also one of the few spots on the same general side of town as CTF.

I'll let you know if I think of anything more downtown-ish. If you're going out towards the beach (James Island/Folly Beach specifically), The Barrel is probably one of the better spots, and Bohemian Bull is also good. If you like Texas-style/brisket BBQ, be sure to check out Lewis BBQ. If you want Carolina-style pulled pork, go to Scott's BBQ. Swig & Swine is out in the same direction as CTF and has good BBQ, a solid beer taplist, and an excellent selection of bourbon if you're into that sort of thing. And there's a thousand great restaurants in Charleston generally, I couldn't even scratch the surface. Just depends on what you want.

Craft Conundrum is definitely a good one to check out. Also one of the few spots on the same general side of town as CTF.

I'll let you know if I think of anything more downtown-ish. If you're going out towards the beach (James Island/Folly Beach specifically), The Barrel is probably one of the better spots, and Bohemian Bull is also good. If you like Texas-style/brisket BBQ, be sure to check out Lewis BBQ. If you want Carolina-style pulled pork, go to Scott's BBQ. Swig & Swine is out in the same direction as CTF and has good BBQ, a solid beer taplist, and an excellent selection of bourbon if you're into that sort of thing. And there's a thousand great restaurants in Charleston generally, I couldn't even scratch the surface. Just depends on what you want.
Awesome, thanks! Lewis BBQ is on my bucket list for sure. Last time we stayed downtown a couple nights then out at Folly Beach. Probably will stay with friends in West Ashley next time, Swig & Swine is one of their local spots. My highlights were Husk, Closed For Business, Craftsmen, Revelry (beer week event), Edmund's Oast, CBX, and Rarebit chicken & waffles.

This was a good thread to stumble into. I'm going to be in Charleston next weekend. Should get there late Thursday night, I'll be free Friday, Saturday is the christening of my brother-in-law's ship but we're free otherwise, Sunday we get back on the road for Connecticut. Not much time. I got some recommendations in the vacation thread, but I realized me and my wife's family aren't as fancy as those folk. Plus, my wife and I being vegetarian is limiting.

This was a good thread to stumble into. I'm going to be in Charleston next weekend. Should get there late Thursday night, I'll be free Friday, Saturday is the christening of my brother-in-law's ship but we're free otherwise, Sunday we get back on the road for Connecticut. Not much time. I got some recommendations in the vacation thread, but I realized me and my wife's family aren't as fancy as those folk. Plus, my wife and I being vegetarian is limiting.

Let me check with my buddies on vegetarian recommendations (a couple of them are and always find the best spots in the Carolinas).

Are you driving down I-95? If you feel like a pit stop in Florence at Seminar Brewing (it's my local place - about 5 minutes off the freeway, 2 hours from Charleston), let me know and I'll meet up with you if schedules allow.

Let me check with my buddies on vegetarian recommendations (a couple of them are and always find the best spots in the Carolinas).

Are you driving down I-95? If you feel like a pit stop in Florence at Seminar Brewing (it's my local place - about 5 minutes off the freeway, 2 hours from Charleston), let me know and I'll meet up with you if schedules allow.
Yes, we're driving down 95. Stops are essential on a long drive. I'm not really sure how the day is going to break down, but we'll definitely need to makes stops along the way.

Doing some looking into it on my own I've bookmarked Butcher and Bee, Hominy Grill, Prohibition, and The Grocery. There are options for my wife and I without being an all vegetarian menu since my wife's family are not vegetarians.

Yes, we're driving down 95. Stops are essential on a long drive. I'm not really sure how the day is going to break down, but we'll definitely need to makes stops along the way.

Doing some looking into it on my own I've bookmarked Butcher and Bee, Hominy Grill, Prohibition, and The Grocery. There are options for my wife and I without being an all vegetarian menu since my wife's family are not vegetarians.

I've eaten at Butcher & Bee one time and definitely recommend it for a mixed veg/non-veg crowd. It's also right next door to Edmund's Oast which is great for some beers/cocktails/bourbon before and/or after dinner.

The Revelry is worth stopping at and thier new neighboring spot “The Hold” for sours. You can easily walk between the two locations.

Cheers

Edmunds Oast is a little fancy, but def has delicious vegetarian options. The popup kitchen at Charlestowne Fermentory often has vegetarian options, but the menu changes constantly.

Back