Charlotte Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might make a trip up there next week to get some furniture at IKEA and check out Wooden Robot.

I might make a trip up there next week to get some furniture at IKEA and check out Wooden Robot.
Im thinking about going to Wooden Robot today. Unfortunately I'll be be out of town next weekend my friends are opening a bottle shop in Greensboro. Let me know next time you decide to head up this way.

I'll be there August 7th, 8th, and leaving the afternoon of the 9th. Will be at the USNWC during the day, but looking for some places to grab some beers and food afterwards, and some bottleshops to take some stuff home.

Any places I can't miss or any places to avoid? Probably only have time for one brewery, so any suggestions in that regard would be welcomed too. This will be my first time in Charlotte.

And if any of you guys in Charlotte want some Creature Comforts or Burnt Hickory stuff, let me know and I'll mule some stuff up for you and we can possibly workout an IP trade.

I'll be there August 7th, 8th, and leaving the afternoon of the 9th. Will be at the USNWC during the day, but looking for some places to grab some beers and food afterwards, and some bottleshops to take some stuff home.

Any places I can't miss or any places to avoid? Probably only have time for one brewery, so any suggestions in that regard would be welcomed too. This will be my first time in Charlotte.

And if any of you guys in Charlotte want some Creature Comforts or Burnt Hickory stuff, let me know and I'll mule some stuff up for you and we can possibly workout an IP trade.

One nice thing in Charlotte is that there are several stores (Salud, Brawley's, Good Bottle, probably others) where they have a nice tap selection and you can drink while you shop.

If you only have time for one brewery, I'd do Noda and load up on fresh cans of Hop Drop 'N Roll, plus drink through their draft selection. Now once I get to try Wooden Robot's stuff that recommendation might change. But I'd still probably prioritize Noda for a first trip to Charlotte. Noda and Salud are also very close together.

There's a chain of places in the area called Duckworth's that tend to have good draft lists. Most of them are similar in a way to TacoMac which I'm sure you're familiar with, in that they are basically sports bars with a good craft beer selection. But there's also a new place called the Duckworth's "Cellar" that seems to be going more high-end.

I'd come up to say hi and maybe do an IP trade but I'll be at Hill Farmstead that weekend.

Last edited:
Good to know, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I can probably do 2 I think. I'll do Noda for sure on Friday, and then try and swing one more on Saturday. Since Wooden Robot is open till 10 on Saturday, I can probably swing by there for at least a quite pint or two.

Food at Duckworth's worth eating or should I grab something first and then head there for beer?

And since I'll be with my 20 year old college student sister, thats probably a good thing you'll be out of town. :eek:

Good to know, thanks for the reply.

Actually, I can probably do 2 I think. I'll do Noda for sure on Friday, and then try and swing one more on Saturday. Since Wooden Robot is open till 10 on Saturday, I can probably swing by there for at least a quite pint or two.

Food at Duckworth's worth eating or should I grab something first and then head there for beer?

And since I'll be with my 20 year old college student sister, thats probably a good thing you'll be out of town. :eek:

Ouch, low blow! :p

Food at Duckworth's is totally fine bar food. Depending on which one you go to there are plenty of other dining options around too. JohnnyNC can probably give you better Charlotte food recs than me. I remember eating at a really good burger place on the way back from the BA Sexual Chocolate release last year, but can't remember what it's called (was still fairly drunk/hung over, friend was doing the driving).

Ouch, low blow! :p

Food at Duckworth's is totally fine bar food. Depending on which one you go to there are plenty of other dining options around too. JohnnyNC can probably give you better Charlotte food recs than me. I remember eating at a really good burger place on the way back from the BA Sexual Chocolate release last year, but can't remember what it's called (was still fairly drunk/hung over, friend was doing the driving).

If it comes to mind, definitely let me know. Preferably I'd go somewhere with good to great food, and then a place like Duckworth's afterwards for beers.

Nothing to add other than that I would love to hear about your day at the flooded skate park.

Nothing to add other than that I would love to hear about your day at the flooded skate park.

Flooded?

I just googled USNWC + flooded and nothing came back. What are you talking about?

RayP as far as food goes there are lots of good places to eat in Noda. Cabo Fish Taco, Revolution Pizza, Crepe Cellar and Growlers Pour House. You would be right there close to Noda brewery and Free Range which just opened up across the street from Noda Brewery. If you are going to Duckworths its uptown. If you are going to South End which is where Wooden Robot is Triple C, Sycamore, Lenny Boy, Olde Meck, and Unknown are all relatively close. As far as food around there I would for sure recommend Maverick Rock Taco or Good Food is an ice little Tapas place and they are on Montford Drive which is close. As far as good bottle shops Salud is in Noda. Bradley's and Good Bottle Co are in the South. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about. That Saturday the 8th my wife and I were going to hit all the South End Breweries so we may see you out.

RayP as far as food goes there are lots of good places to eat in Noda. Cabo Fish Taco, Revolution Pizza, Crepe Cellar and Growlers Pour House. You would be right there close to Noda brewery and Free Range which just opened up across the street from Noda Brewery. If you are going to Duckworths its uptown. If you are going to South End which is where Wooden Robot is Triple C, Sycamore, Lenny Boy, Olde Meck, and Unknown are all relatively close. As far as food around there I would for sure recommend Maverick Rock Taco or Good Food is an ice little Tapas place and they are on Montford Drive which is close. As far as good bottle shops Salud is in Noda. Bradley's and Good Bottle Co are in the South. Let me know if there is anything else you want to know about. That Saturday the 8th my wife and I were going to hit all the South End Breweries so we may see you out.

Nice, thanks for the info!

If you want anything from my hood just let me know and I'll bring it on up for you. Not sure where we are staying at yet, going to do the mystery hotel deal thing on Priceline eventually, but plan on staying somewhere in the general downtown Charlotte area.

My wife and her coworker are driving to Charlotte Oct 16 -20 for a conference. It's silly to drive, but whatever. They will have the most available time in Charlotte on the 17th. They will be staying at the Le Meridien downtown. Any convenient breweries or bottle shops for them to hit? Neither is much for beer, but my wife is prepared to buy for me.

My wife and her coworker are driving to Charlotte Oct 16 -20 for a conference. It's silly to drive, but whatever. They will have the most available time in Charlotte on the 17th. They will be staying at the Le Meridien downtown. Any convenient breweries or bottle shops for them to hit? Neither is much for beer, but my wife is prepared to buy for me.
Salud in Noda is just North of uptown. Also Good Bottle Co is just to the south. I think they could take the light rail there. Not much as far as bottle shops uptown but there are plenty of good spots not far. Oh yeah the Rhino Market isn't far from uptown

I'll be in Charlotte this weekend to see Collective Soul on Friday night. Plan is to go out somewhere after the concert depending on what's open, then do some shopping and brewery hopping on Saturday. Wooden Robot is a must-hit and some combo of NoDa, Free Range, Sugar Creek, Salud, Good Bottle, etc. etc. will probably be on the agenda. If anyone wants to grab a beer hit me up.

EDIT: also add Duckworth's Cellar, which I think might end up being the plan for tomorrow night given how late they are open.

Last edited:
I see that NoDa has two locations now, both pretty close to each other. Looks like largely the same list, but some variation. Going to hit one on Saturday PM, any advice on which to go to?

I see that NoDa has two locations now, both pretty close to each other. Looks like largely the same list, but some variation. Going to hit one on Saturday PM, any advice on which to go to?
The main facility on Tryon St is the one you want to go to. It's fairly new but they are doing some great things over there. I'd also hit up Salud bottle shop if you are going to be in that area.

This thread really took off. Seriously though if any Charlotteans don't know about roasting company, hit them up. Good local NC beer, best food for the money in town. Chicken and Black bean combo with squash casserole and dill potato salad ftw.

Was in Charlotte a few weeks ago for the Coheed concert and hung around the next day. On the recommendation of a friend I went to Heist, a brewery that I'd wrote off a long time ago. Wow have things ever changed there, all the beers were good and hit the right notes for their styles, and the stouts in particular were outstanding. One of them (Ka Kao or something like that) reminded me of Hunahpu, and the vanilla Cataclysm was really nice. Their space is great too, definitely worth checking out on a nice day for the patio. Amazing the difference a talented brewer can make.

Was in Charlotte a few weeks ago for the Coheed concert and hung around the next day. On the recommendation of a friend I went to Heist, a brewery that I'd wrote off a long time ago. Wow have things ever changed there, all the beers were good and hit the right notes for their styles, and the stouts in particular were outstanding. One of them (Ka Kao or something like that) reminded me of Hunahpu, and the vanilla Cataclysm was really nice. Their space is great too, definitely worth checking out on a nice day for the patio. Amazing the difference a talented brewer can make.

Julian, pls.
actuall Julian is right

So what's the deal with Charlotte? Looks like I'm moving there. I hear that Heist and Wooden Robot are the up and comers. Is it easy to get good scotch on shelves? (coming from PA, so I won't be hard to please in this department) Is Westbrook, olde hickory and wicked weed on shelves? What questions am I not asking that I should be?

So what's the deal with Charlotte? Looks like I'm moving there. I hear that Heist and Wooden Robot are the up and comers. Is it easy to get good scotch on shelves? (coming from PA, so I won't be hard to please in this department) Is Westbrook, olde hickory and wicked weed on shelves? What questions am I not asking that I should be?
Sounds like you're on the right track. Everything you asked, the answer is yes. Also, if you can't find the liquor you wat in CLT, just take a 20 min drive to the border of SC and there's a lot of cheaper stores with even better selection (especially for bourbon).

Any restaurants/bars that typically have good tap takeover events or similar type events that I should keep an eye on?

What about bottle shares? Things of that nature?

EDIT: Who are the cool kids in town? :D

Last edited:
Do you know what part of town you are moving to yet?

Salud is a great bottle shop with a very good draft selection, and they have takeover-type events quite frequently. It's also very close to Heist, NoDa Brewing, Free Range.

Do you know what part of town you are moving to yet?

Salud is a great bottle shop with a very good draft selection, and they have takeover-type events quite frequently. It's also very close to Heist, NoDa Brewing, Free Range.

I'll be renting for a while...probably south of uptown most likely...then eventually looking at union county to buy since we have school age kids ...

Thanks the tips...

I'll be renting for a while...probably south of uptown most likely...then eventually looking at union county to buy since we have school age kids ...

Thanks the tips...
If you are moving to the South End area you will have a ton of options. Good Bottle Co, Brawleys, Common Market for bottle shops. For Breweries you will also be right in the thick of it Wooden Robot, Triple C, Olde Meck, Sycamore just to name a few. We have some bottle share ever so often here. Let me know when you get to town and welcome to the QC

If you are moving to the South End area you will have a ton of options. Good Bottle Co, Brawleys, Common Market for bottle shops. For Breweries you will also be right in the thick of it Wooden Robot, Triple C, Olde Meck, Sycamore just to name a few. We have some bottle share ever so often here. Let me know when you get to town and welcome to the QC

Thanks man...a bunch of you guys have been super welcoming so far...Cheers.

All great suggestions JohnnyNC. Unfortunately, at some point in the near future I believe the Common Market in Southend is closing, but the Plaza Midwood location will stay open. Craft Growler Shop hasn't had a tap list I've ever cared for, even w like 40 options, but they often have bottles that lag in sales behind some of the other bottle shops. Rhino Market is a little further from southend, but they have a good sandwich shop and tap list/bottles. Duckworth's on Park Rd, as well as the Duckworth's Cellar in uptown. The Cellar will tap some crazy stuff once in awhile. Hope that helps. Someone mentioned Roasting Co above as well, and they have one of the best local/NC lists for a restaurant, and I love their food.

I'll be in Charlotte visiting a friend on Friday night. I'll just be around for the evening, and I'm planning to check out Heist, Wooden Robot, and Salud. Anything else that's a must do beer-wise in Charlotte?

I've only been in CLT for a couple weeks but I'd say that's a pretty good trio you've got there.

Cage is old, ****.

I'll be in Charlotte visiting a friend on Friday night. I'll just be around for the evening, and I'm planning to check out Heist, Wooden Robot, and Salud. Anything else that's a must do beer-wise in Charlotte?

The only thing I regret about my last trip to Charlotte was not getting enough Heist crowlers.

And I'm glad NODA isn't on your list. I had 4-5 beers which were all mediocre-shitty.

We'll be in Charlotte next weekend. I've got a work conference on Sunday. Any help with restaurants for Saturday and Sunday night, breakfast on Monday, and things for my wife to do on Sunday while I'm in a conference all day would be greatly appreciated.

Back