US - South-Atlantic Charlotte Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by JohnnyNC, Jul 25, 2015.

1. 2plums4one

2plums4one

damn dude, I was there today for about 30 min but had to skeet back to work. See you at the next one I'm sure

kbuzz likes this.
  2. kbuzz

kbuzz

Should have worn a name tag or something.

Is that how long and slow those lines normally are?

3. 2plums4one

2plums4one

yep

JohnnyNC likes this.
  4. Bertmacklen

Bertmacklen

Well I did miss out on cans of the Uber , but crowlers were a nice consolation haha

JohnnyNC and kbuzz like this.
  5. Bertmacklen

Bertmacklen

Apparently blurred cans were still available today if anybody couldn't make it out Friday

6. ASUBeer

ASUBeer

I'm driving through Charlotte tomorrow. Should I stop at:

Heist
    Wooden Robot
    High Branch

Or something else? I'm guessing I'll fill up a crowler or growler.

7. Bertmacklen

Bertmacklen

I would skip high branch for sure. If you like juicy new England style ipas go to Heist. Wooden robot has a great coffee blonde and a couple good sours. I like them both, but Heist still has my heart!

ASUBeer likes this.
  8. Bertmacklen

Bertmacklen

Heist crowlers- Uber quential , blurred is the word, Thirst, Raspberry pickin

Wooden robot- good morning Vietnam , overachiever , daddy needs his juice.

Those are my recommendations for what's currently on tap

2plums4one, ASUBeer and FLBeerFan like this.
  9. My Queens

My Queens

***EDIT: Found what I needed - thanks to everyone who responded, looked around for me & purchased bottles! Please disregard my post below.***

Just got back home from a great little trip to Charlotte. Didn't find as many local beer gems as I was hoping to, but got my hands/mouth on some Scratch, which was absolutely delicious.

Sadly, soon after leaving, a couple of my biggest wants just so happened to hit Charlotte-area shelves! Omnipollo/Buxton Yellow Belly peanut butter biscuit stout & the BA version Yellow Belly Sundae. Can't find them anywhere near me (live in Ontario but shop for beer in Michigan and no stores have or will be getting any).

I know Salud got both today, but sold out fast. Now I'm told by the owner of Ultimate Ales in Mooresville that he got a shipment of both, and still has "plenty" of each.

Any chance anyone picked up bottles already or could pick up soon?

Happy to trade for a couple - lots of Michigan and other US stuff in my possession, including Schramms, Kuhnhenn, Perrin No Rules & Odd Side (will likely be getting my hands on fresh, non-infected BB Imp Mayan Mocha, Hazel's Nuts, Hipster Brunch, Rye Hipster Brunch, Mokka Munt & Sweet Potato Souffle in the coming weeks).

Hope someone can hook a hoser up.

Cheers!

Mike

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  10. My Queens

My Queens

UPDATE: Found what I needed - thanks to everyone who responded, looked around for me & purchased bottles!

kbuzz and JohnnyNC like this.
  11. JohnnyNC

JohnnyNC

It sounds like Charlotte is going to be seeing some Cigar City distro in March/April. I hope we see some of their stouts make it up this way not just Jai Alai

kbuzz likes this.
  12. kbuzz

kbuzz

Just returned from my second failed attempt to get Heist cans. Might have to give up on this endeavor. Their beer is good, but it ain't good enough to invest an entire day for a damn IPA...sheesh...

Got there 30 mins before release time and all tix were completely gone...I guess with everyone off this week, folks just decided to get there super early, grab some breakfast and start drinking ;)

I'll swing by later this afternoon to try my luck again, but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

JohnnyNC likes this.
  13. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

I'm sure it was this. Definitely not a normal week.

kbuzz likes this.
  14. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin

Gonna be in town in a couple of weeks, does Heist pretty much always have crowlers of their IPA's? Thanks!

15. kbuzz

kbuzz

As long as there is an IPA on tap.

Not sure why I have such bad luck at that place, but in addition to never being able to get cans, the last time I went in there to grab some crowlers to bring with me on an out of town trip, they didn't have a single pale or IPA on tap. Also, once upon a time their crowler machine was only working intermittently, but assuming that's since been corrected.

Legion has some good hazy hoppy beers too and they aren't too far from Hype...I mean....Heist. Juicy Jay is a really good IPA if it's on tap.

JohnnyNC and CavemanRamblin like this.
  16. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin

Cool thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll have time to hit too many places, but will keep Legion in mind. Heist works well because I can eat there too. I don't at all doubt that they're a bit overhyped at this point, but the hoppy beers I've had from them have been pretty legit.

JohnnyNC and kbuzz like this.
  17. kbuzz

kbuzz

Oh they make great beer, no doubt...best IPAs in the area that I've found so far. I've just not had the greatest experiences there...but I truly think a bit of that is just my own bad luck. I would say they are no more or less hyped than they should be as compared to the overall state of craft beer right now. I'm just easily annoyed with lines...haha.

Legion is close...so that's the only reason I mentioned it. That time I struck out on IPAs at Heist, I drove up the road to Legion and ended up quite pleased with the handful of beers I sampled and then left with...

JohnnyNC and CavemanRamblin like this.
  18. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin

Close is good. I know this is kind of a loaded question, but if you could only go to one other brewery would you do Legion or Wooden Robot? Or somewhere different? No offense to stuff like Noda or Birdsong, but I've been to those and want to hit places I haven't yet.

19. kbuzz

kbuzz

Ooooooh, tough one. Probably Wooden Robot by just a hair...but it's damn close...and WR is a little farther from Heist than Legion.

I'd probably check out both taplists and make my decision that way :p...Legion had an interesting BA Saision aged on grapes not too long ago that was pretty tasty. But WR is more consistent overall, I'd say...

This is just the new guy's opinion though...let's see if others chime in at all...

CavemanRamblin likes this.
  20. CavemanRamblin

CavemanRamblin

Sweet, definitely appreciate it and kinda what I was thinking. I knew WR was in a different area of town, so Legion may get the nod just based on proximity. And I may even be able to do both, but with a prego wife you gotta assume that only the highest priority ones will happen.

kbuzz likes this.