Cherry Adam from the Wood

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Help' started by BadJustin, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Snarf

Snarf

This reads like the lead in to a question on the NAT (Neckbeard Aptitude Test).

2. sherm1016

sherm1016

[​IMG]

Did I pass?

3. BadJustin

BadJustin

Big nope here. Got the beard trimmed after work. Took a good 2 inches off and cleaned up the neckline.

[​IMG]

tosh, Gonzoillini and sherm1016 like this.
  4. coldstorage

coldstorage

How long do these sit around these days?
    Likely an early Feb trip to visit the sister in Portland... wouldn't mind a case myself.
    Love this beer.

tosh and abawol01 like this.
  5. abawol01

abawol01

If I had to guess it will be available. Don't take that as a promise though.

Side note, got your buddy's bottles BadJustin

Dino, KWMiles, ehammond1 and 7 others like this.
  6. Digita7693

Digita7693

Lack of consistency, price, and the owner/brewer's unapolagetic approach/not figuring out carbonation after 20yrs is maddening and why I don't go there, and why hotd doesn't make my top 5 PDX breweries.

Yes some beers can be phenomenal, but due to all the aforementioned reasons, no...

7. BadJustin

BadJustin

Sweet! Thanks a ton brother. I owe you one. Will send NE goodies when we thaw a little bit.

Ryan_G and abawol01 like this.
  8. sherm1016

sherm1016

That's part of Alan's charm. ;)

Seriously though, I like his approach over that of a brewer who gets defensive/combative.

Also, I think the brewpub experience there is phenomenal. Great food, great service, great atmosphere, draft beer is always carbonated. But YMMV, especially if you're going to hold his bottle transgressions against him.

As I said before there's a risk-reward aspect with HotD, which is true of all things in life, really.

9. Digita7693

Digita7693

You're joking, right?
    Not saying it is not a valid opinion to like the beer or brewery, but to call his approach (bubbles cost more) or to label him as someone who does not get defensive/combative about criticism is pretty funny.

I will reiterate, they have done some phenomenal beers, and have at times done great food stuff, but for beers and/or food I will go to Breakside, Commons, Upright, Cascade, Deschutes, Great Notion, Ex-Novo and Ten Barrel, not to mention countless pubs, before Hair of the Dog. I understand the attraction, but cannot accept the price, inconsistency (especially after 20yrs), and attitude. To each their own:)

coach, exitmusic00, abawol01 and 3 others like this.
  10. Digita7693

Digita7693

sherm1016 decided to open this while cooking, 2008 cherry Adam, no bubbles:(
    Would probably be excellent w some carbonation.

[​IMG]

xpimptastikx, tosh, CruisaC and 5 others like this.
  11. litheum94

litheum94

I actually have to disagree with most of that. Service is very hit or miss, and downright terrible at times. I don't get a different atmosphere there than I do from any other random better brewery in Portland. And his approach to carb issues is the definition of combative.

That said, if you love the place, good on you. I'm glad that you enjoy your visits there. But you'll find me at the Commons or Upright.

coach, tosh, KWMiles and 6 others like this.
  12. stakem

stakem

Thanks to this thread I guess I know what ill be drinking tonight.

I havent had a cherry adam in probably 5 years and back then it was amazing. Im overdo on a revisit.

stxSS07, tosh, Ryan_G and 6 others like this.
  13. sherm1016

sherm1016

Perhaps my impression of how Alan feels about and reacts to the carbonation issue is not accurate.

1. At least of late, he tells you if they carb'd up or not.
    2. You may a different price depending on the quality of the beer, including carbonation level. (FWIW, $12 for CAftW seems reasonable especially with bubbles).
    3. He thinks the beer can still be really good (and worth a premium price) without bubbles.
    4. Other than that, you're on your own the decide if the beers are worth the price.

If I'm missing something, let me know.

14. abawol01

abawol01

He'srightyouknow.meme

15. litheum94

litheum94

My issue is that he seems to take the "I guess we'll see how this batch turns out" approach. Yes some beers can taste fine without carbonation, but it really seems sometimes that he has no freaking clue what he's doing. You're going to have a batch of beer that doesn't carbonate every once in a while, but the fact that it happens consistently is a good indication that you aren't a very good brewer.

I do respect that there seems to be more transparency when batches are flat, but "beer doesn't necessarily need carbonation to be good" misses the entire point of the problem.

mateoloco and Digita7693 like this.
  16. Snarf

Snarf

Hair of Dog is proud to be one of the first breweries in America specializing in the production of high alcohol, bottle conditioned beers as well as experimenting with the barrel aging process since 1994.
    - from their webpage, also from 1994
    That's fucking great - 'specializing in bottled conditioned beers'. Emphasis on special I guess.

Any links to specifics on their krausening / carb process? There was an interview with Sprints on The Session, but I don't remember that part. IIRC they use White Labs Scottish and it's pretty maxed out after getting the beer done.

20 years in and still brewing on a homemade 4 bbl system doing 600 bbls a year, safe to say he does things the way he does because he enjoys doing them that way.

tosh, exitmusic00, ehammond1 and 4 others like this.
  17. libbey

libbey

I think it's a tad short sided to say Allen isn't a very good brewer. He has been a highly influential brewer in craft beer and is responsible for the reviving some styles (old ales/strong ales) that had been nearly extinct before he opened his brewery in the 90's.

stxSS07, tosh, CruisaC and 8 others like this.
  18. litheum94

litheum94

I'd say that if you have consist carbonation issues, then as far as that is concerned, you are bad at it. You can be bad at one aspect and good at other aspects.

Plus, I'm just an internet asshole, so what do I know?

CruisaC, libbey, Kentucky and 2 others like this.
  19. sherm1016

sherm1016

I can agree that there is a bit of a paradox between the fact that HotD prides themselves on making bottle conditioned beers yet they are not particularly good at bottle conditioning.

In the 10 or so times I've been to the pub, I've always had great service. I'm always sitting at the bar, though, and Wendy was taking care of me probably half the time.

20. litheum94

litheum94

Is Wendy Alan's sister? She's really nice.