Chiraq aka Chicago visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomTwanks1

Reaction score
Yo dudes, I'm going to Chicago August 20-22 and I am looking to find some awesome places to go. As of right now, the must see attractions include
1) breweries/bottle shops
2) deep dish
3) brunch
4)cocktail lounge/rooftop bar
5) navy pier
6) Millenium park
7) Eataly (****ing degos amirite??)

What I want to ask is your "best of" on options 1,2,3, &4 as well as other things I should be attempting to do with the limited time I will be there. I will have a car and will be staying at the Hilton on Magnificent Mile, but would prefer to walk to most locations.

The breweries that I've been thinking of are Half Acre, Goose Island Clybourn, and Revolution. On the way back we will be stopping at FFF for brews and dinner. I think I'll be able to stop at 2 in the city and would love to know which ones locals would go to. Not sure as far are bottle shops, but Binnys on Grand Ave possibly? All I know is I would like to pick up some Pipeworks cans/bottles, some half acre cans, and just good beer I can't get around CLE. Recommendations needed! And as far as brunch I have no idea but want the best I can find in the city.

Also, a great cocktail lounge would be great. Thinking Signature Lounge/room at the 95th for the proximity, views, and gin martinis.

As far as pizza is concerned, don't ******** me. What's the best?!?!? I've been to Giordanos and thought it was fantastic but have heard amazing things about Lou Manottis, Pequods, Gino's East, etc. I just want the best!!!
End rant, start discussion!

As far as pizza is concerned, don't ******** me. What's the best?!?!? I've been to Giordanos and thought it was fantastic but have heard amazing things about Lou Manottis, Pequods, Gino's East, etc. I just want the best!!!
End rant, start discussion!
Pequod's or Malnatti's for your deep dish needs.

1.) Revolution > Lagunitas > Goose > Half Acre. Bottle shops worth checking out: West Lakeview Liquors, The Beer Temple, and any Binny's.
2.) Get thin crust, it's better. If you specifically want deep dish, Pequod's and Lou's are the best. Giordano's is trash. Dont even venture near a Chicago's.
3.) If you are looking to do brunch down by where you're staying, I would go to The Gage, Frontera, or something simpler like Yolk. If you're willing to travel more outside the Loop, there will be better brunch options.
4.) While the view from the Signature Room is worth the cocktail price, their cocktails are pretty awful. If you want to check out nice cocktail spots, the big 3 are Aviary, Violet Hour, and Barrelhouse Flat. Aviary will be hard to get a reservation at at this point.

Enjoy your trip. Happy to answer any other questions.

1.) Revolution > Lagunitas > Goose > Half Acre. Bottle shops worth checking out: West Lakeview Liquors, The Beer Temple, and any Binny's.
2.) Get thin crust, it's better. If you specifically want deep dish, Pequod's and Lou's are the best. Giordano's is trash. Dont even venture near a Chicago's.
3.) If you are looking to do brunch down by where you're staying, I would go to The Gage, Frontera, or something simpler like Yolk. If you're willing to travel more outside the Loop, there will be better brunch options.
4.) While the view from the Signature Room is worth the cocktail price, their cocktails are pretty awful. If you want to check out nice cocktail spots, the big 3 are Aviary, Violet Hour, and Barrelhouse Flat. Aviary will be hard to get a reservation at at this point.

tumblr_inline_ms1yqyMCBc1qz4rgp.gif

All of it...especially the pizza info.

Great info Dunt , thanks a bunch man. I thought giordanos was solid but if the others are better im there! I saw aviary and want to go there without a doubt if at all possible (dat Manhattan!!)

Any recommendations on bottles/can/growlers to pick up?

I thought giordanos was solid but if the others are better im there!
It's not even close, IMO. Giordano's deep is basically all cheese. But, like Dunt, I go with the thin crust 99% of the time I get pizza anywhere.

Any recommendations on bottles/can/growlers to pick up?
Fresh Rev (Fist City and Anti Hero)/Half Acre (Vallejo, Daisy Cutter and dont sleep on Akari Shogun)/PW cans.
Make sure to grab a mix of Off Color bottles if you don't get them in OH, especially Apex Predator and Fierce.
There are no growler shops in IL so you have to rely on going to the actual breweries to get growler fills.

It's not even close, IMO. Giordano's deep is basically all cheese. But, like Dunt, I go with the thin crust 99% of the time I get pizza anywhere.

Fresh Rev (Fist City and Anti Hero)/Half Acre (Vallejo, Daisy Cutter and dont sleep on Akari Shogun)/PW cans.
Make sure to grab a mix of Off Color bottles if you don't get them in OH, especially Apex Predator and Fierce.
There are no growler shops in IL so you have to rely on going to the actual breweries to get growler fills.

We get fresh Rev and Off Color stuff now and its awesome. Really would like to pick up half acre/pipeworks stuff without a doubt.

As far as deep dish goes, my fiancé requires deep dish if we're in Chicago so deep dish it is. I think Lou's is walking distance to our hotel so that works out well!

We get fresh Rev and Off Color stuff now and its awesome. Really would like to pick up half acre/pipeworks stuff without a doubt.

As far as deep dish goes, my fiancé requires deep dish if we're in Chicago so deep dish it is. I think Lou's is walking distance to our hotel so that works out well!

Be sure to get buttercrust at Lou's. Giardiniera as a topping if you like peppers

I would say Pequod's over the rest and just do it... I think Lou's is overrated like the cubs as it's basically a north pizza place... ;) (that now has little outlets everywhere which to me ruined it to a point)

Also IMO Piece is worth a mention for the pizza, new haven style white sauce with clam and tasty brews as well.

Dunt cover most things accurate all though Im not into the weird vibe at Lagunita's.. But rev is top notch and I'm Goose Clyborne homer for that location not the rest so it's worth a stop.

Also Longman and Eagle is worth a stop if you can get out there, great cocktail list and tasty ass food options!

This thread appeals to my interests, as I'll be there over the weekend. Thoughts on the Publican? Really want to go check out that house lambic of theirs. Also, looking for recommendations for:
1. Hot dogs
2. Pho
Thanks!

Any uh tomes on the shelf up there? ;)

This thread appeals to my interests, as I'll be there over the weekend. Thoughts on the Publican? Really want to go check out that house lambic of theirs. Also, looking for recommendations for:
1. Hot dogs
2. Pho
Thanks!
The Publican lambic is fine. The Publican food is ****ing outrageously great.

1. Hot dogs
2. Pho
Thanks!

If you're close to Goose Clybourne I've always enjoyed the dog and Frank n Dawgs which is pretty to GI.

I'd also add Watershed and Berkshire Room to the cocktail list. They're right across the street from each other and they are quite close to the Mag Mile.

And Warehouse Liquors in South Loop is a great bottleshop. Love that place. Especially the whisk(e)y selection.

I'll be staying near Uptown, which Google tells me is one short Red Line trip away. Thanks!

Since you're going to be up that way. If you're looking for something similar to the Hot Doug's experience, check this place out. http://www.hotgdog.com/ Run by two guys that worked the line at Doug's forever. They are using a lot of the same product/flavor combinations that were at Hot Doug's and since they were actually the ones cooking them it's a worthy successor.

Red Hot Ranch on Western in Bucktown has my favorite hot dog in the city. Depression style, so it's just mustard, onions, sport peppers. Or you can go to the location on Ashland and combine it with a drinking session at Northdown.

Nha Hang Viet Nam on Argyle St for Pho

Red Hot Ranch on Western in Bucktown has my favorite hot dog in the city. Depression style, so it's just mustard, onions, sport peppers. Or you can go to the location on Ashland and combine it with a drinking session at Northdown.
That Northdown place looks super awesome. Added to the list. Looks like I'll be wandering around Chicago all weekend with a heavy buzz and a full belly.

1. Hot dogs
2. Pho
Thanks!

If you're staying in Uptown, here are my suggestions:

1.) Wolfy's on Peterson, Hoppin Hots in Andersonville (more "artisan"), Hot G Dogs in Andersonville (old Hot Doug line cooks), Byron's on Montrose
2.) Either Tank Noodle or Nha Hang in Uptown on Argyle Street. Uptown is kinda the Pho mecca of Chicago.

Any uh tomes on the shelf up there? ;)

At my house maybe, not many on shelves besides maybe west lakeview

If you're staying in Uptown, here are my suggestions:

1.) Wolfy's on Peterson, Hoppin Hots in Andersonville (more "artisan"), Hot G Dogs in Andersonville (old Hot Doug line cooks), Byron's on Montrose
2.) Either Tank Noodle or Nha Hang in Uptown on Argyle Street. Uptown is kinda the Pho mecca of Chicago.

At my house maybe, not many on shelves besides maybe west lakeview

Of course! I was planning on hitting up West Lakeview anyways. Northdown seems to have quite a few. Can you buy bottles to go in Illinois?

Quick notes from the weekend:
*West Lakeview wins all. Would love to work there. All the fun weirdo Belgian beers on the sheld plus all the IPAs were fresh. 10/10. Would bang over and over again.
*Pub Royale has outstanding food along with a killer tap list. If you haven't been yet you're doing it wrong. Had Butter Paneer and various brett IPAs.. 9.5/10
*I could drink Daisy Cutter by the pitcher.
*Goose Island Clybourn was a bummer. Beers were fine but I don't think the staff likes their jobs or something. 6/10.
Can't wait to come back (when it's not hot as balls)!

Back