Cigar City El Catador Club Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franch

Reaction score
this thread is for speculating on new releases or discussing old ones.

speculation on beeradv ratebe uh, facebook seems to show that public opinion is that the next catador beer is either good gourd almighty or a barrel-aged guava beer.

until then, we can discuss forgotten island, 110K+OT6, or i guess life is like, which is not a catador exclusive, but is ****ing amazing.

I opened up Forgotten Island and 110k this weekend. I really liked Forgotten Island, like much more than I expected to. I thought the base quad worked really nicely with the rum barrel, and the underlying grapey notes of the quad weren't drowned out by the treatment. As much as I liked Forgotten Island, 110k blew me away. Fruited stouts tend to be hit or miss for me, but this was perfect. The acidity from the raspberries worked really nicely with the richness of the stout. For my palate, the mouth-feel of CCB stouts is just perfect. Can't wait to crack my LiL.

i haven't 110K'd. LIL is so much better than cherry rye it's not even funny.

forgotten wasn't my thing (or ceight's, the actual membership holder)

i haven't 110K'd. LIL is so much better than cherry rye it's not even funny.

forgotten wasn't my thing (or ceight's, the actual membership holder)
I'm glad you say that about Cherry Rye because I really did not care for that at all. My fear with LiL was that it would be very similar to Cherry Rye and even considered trading it away.

I'm glad you say that about Cherry Rye because I really did not care for that at all. My fear with LiL was that it would be very similar to Cherry Rye and even considered trading it away.

cherry rye i liked. it's more of a slightly tart cherry where LIL is more of a chocolate covered cherry / cherry liqueur.

this thread is for speculating on new releases or discussing old ones.

I was exceedingly pissed still has sad over missing 110k due to a crazy work day/forgetting I was no longer in eastern time. Even had alarms set for 4pm PDT, which unfortunately I was still in the middle of work during.

Everyone I've talked to about Forgotten Island said it was a bit alcoholic on the taste and could stand sitting for a year to mellow. Yes?

Wouldn't apply to Catador Club, I still just hope they do Guava Groove again. Would probably be okay in Tequila barrels.

Did not get accepted into the club.

right-in-the-feels.gif

public opinion is that the next catador beer is either good gourd almighty or a barrel-aged guava beer.
Good Gourd Almighty seems to be a lock since the EC twitter feed showed a pic of the barrels, but I'd think it needs a little while longer if GG was brewed in July-ish. So sometime in Dec maybe? Hopefully six barrels will yield enough for multiple bottles per member too. I love that damned beer.

I also keep hearing El Murcielago, which I really, really hope is wrong. Not a terrible beer, but not something I'd expect from a RS-style club (or something I'd expect to pay $25-ish for).

Cracked open 110K last night. (Thanks #brobro.) Thought it was very good, but definitely couldn't kill a bottle by myself. Raspberry was obviously the highlight, but wasn't overly sweet. Reminded me a lot of Lindley Park. Light years better than 110K batch 5, which was a malt bomb in my opinion.

Good Gourd Almighty seems to be a lock since the EC twitter feed showed a pic of the barrels, but I'd think it needs a little while longer if GG was brewed in July-ish. So sometime in Dec maybe? Hopefully six barrels will yield enough for multiple bottles per member too. I love that damned beer.

I also keep hearing El Murcielago, which I really, really hope is wrong. Not a terrible beer, but not something I'd expect from a RS-style club (or something I'd expect to pay $25-ish for).

I think both Good Gourd Almighty and El Murcielago were both produced at a size that wouldn't be a Catador release, but more like a Life is Like limited deal. I think that's the case, anyway.

I think both Good Gourd Almighty and El Murcielago were both produced at a size that wouldn't be a Catador release, but more like a Life is Like limited deal. I think that's the case, anyway.
I hear you -- I'm basing my GGA thought on tasting room rumors, and that they tweeted that pic to the Catador feed instead of posting on the regular FB page like they did for Murcielago. And now that I've done the math, wouldn't six barrels translate into ~1500 bottles, which would be more Catador release-size?
I just hope almighty gets released before my Halloween pumpkin tasting.
I wanna say that I was drinking it last year near Thanksgiving, but my memory sucks. Too much beer.

I hear you -- I'm basing my GGA thought on tasting room rumors, and that they tweeted that pic to the Catador feed instead of posting on the regular FB page like they did for Murcielago. And now that I've done the math, wouldn't six barrels translate into ~1500 bottles, which would be more Catador release-size?

Valid points. I would not mind GGA being a Catador release at all. El Murcielago was pretty good, but that one can stay in the "OMG GET TO THE TASTING ROOM NAO!" category.

I joined the club because I was the only one in my tasting group who got in. I don't have particularly high hopes for any of the beers, but not needing to trade for them (especially BA Hunah, at least if it's Apple-Brady-good and not Brandy-mediocre) will be nice.

but not needing to trade for them (especially BA Hunah, at least if it's Apple-Brady-good and not Brandy-mediocre) will be nice.

This. New CCB keen Florida residents are subtly and obliviously dicks about coveting (BA) Hunahpu, Leon, etc. in my experience. Yes I know the limits are low, but they still make a shitload.

This. New CCB keen Florida residents are subtly and obliviously dicks about coveting (BA) Hunahpu, Leon, etc. in my experience. Yes I know the limits are low, but they still make a shitload.
Well, for me it's more that people want a lot for these limited CCB beers, but I just don't think they're very good.

I've heard that El Murcielago will likely be one of the Catador beers. While I didn't hate the one bottle I had of it, I really hope they tweaked the recipe significantly.

LiL was quite sweet when I had it last week, got a couple to age. Haven't tried any of my forgotten or 110k yet. Hopefully soon at our monthly share.

Well, if the pic posted to the Catador twitter feed is any indication, it looks like the next EC beer might be BA Big Sound '13. At least I think that's a Big Sound label I see in the background of the waxed bottles -- but then again that might just be a fakeout. Rumor has it that GGA is out of barrels now, so I guess that could be it too.

Well, if the pic posted to the Catador twitter feed is any indication, it looks like the next EC beer might be BA Big Sound '13. At least I think that's a Big Sound label I see in the background of the waxed bottles -- but then again that might just be a fakeout. Rumor has it that GGA is out of barrels now, so I guess that could be it too.

I hope to God that GGA isn't it.

If Good Gourd Almight isn't the next beer, I at least hope it's an extra available for purchase. It would be perfect for Thanksgiving.

I only had a little bit of Heirloom Pumpkin at a share but I thought it was great. I plan on opening mine around Thanksgiving.

I only had a little bit of Heirloom Pumpkin at a share but I thought it was great. I plan on opening mine around Thanksgiving.
I have found that many pumpkin beers are great when you just have a little bit. I think of it as Pepsi Challenge Syndrome. (Also often true with beers that are really sweet...)

Back