Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely no correct answer here and it can depend a lot on the beans and type of beer they are going in.

I always add cold in the keg with a rough crush (some beans end whole but mostly they are broken into large chunks). Some people love making cold brew and then dosing it in at keg. I would avoid heat with coffee additions in beer.

What has worked best for my process is very similar to what rcubed and Ziggy posted above.

I "dry bean" in the keg with about 4oz of roughly crushed beans (we used to call it angering the beans, literally taking a pint glass / rolling pin and just hitting them a few times to crack open some of the beans without crushing / grinding anything) in a weighted muslin bag for 5 gallons of beer, and I start tasting it after 3-4 days and pull the beans when I'm happy with the flavor.

Fresh coffee (less than 3-4 weeks old), keeping oxidation as low as possible throughout the process, and then not sitting on the finished beer all keep the green pepper / oxidized coffee character away.

I would be very wary of doing anything with coffee on the hot side of the process.

What has worked best for my process is very similar to what rcubed and Ziggy posted above.

I "dry bean" in the keg with about 4oz of roughly crushed beans (we used to call it angering the beans, literally taking a pint glass / rolling pin and just hitting them a few times to crack open some of the beans without crushing / grinding anything) in a weighted muslin bag for 5 gallons of beer, and I start tasting it after 3-4 days and pull the beans when I'm happy with the flavor.

Fresh coffee (less than 3-4 weeks old), keeping oxidation as low as possible throughout the process, and then not sitting on the finished beer all keep the green pepper / oxidized coffee character away.

I would be very wary of doing anything with coffee on the hot side of the process.

Can't emphasize fresh coffee enough too. I vacuum sealed mine incase of any delays

I make a concentrated cold brew the day before and add at packaging. I think getting all the coffee solids out of the beer is important to avoiding the green pepper and stale coffee flavors. I bottle only so those bottles end up hanging out at room temperature. If I kegged I'd probably just add in the keg.

A number of breweries around Minneapolis are starting to sell Barrel-aged coffee beans. They’re not cheap, but they really add another dimension. My favorite so far were Apple brandy BA beans from Wild Mind.

Modern Times has been doing this for awhile now. I've enjoyed BA beans but it's not something I want to drink every day.

Back