Cold Brew/Press Coffee on Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phischy1

Reaction score
Recently got a used fridge to ressurect my first kegerator hardware setup. All main taps are in thengarage, inside will have Sparkling water and my wife wants cold press coffee. So got a nitro setup and I need to swap out one of the faucets. 3rd tap will have cocktails or whatever.

I don't drink coffee. I know very little about it. From what I was reading you corse grind beans, put in a strainer bag and soak until desired strength. Filter into keg, serve.

Is that it? Doing 1 gallon batches into a cannonball keg. It's a beer gas mix through a stout faucet to degass it.

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_233419_01.jpg
    IMG_20181109_233419_01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
Recently got a used fridge to ressurect my first kegerator hardware setup. All main taps are in thengarage, inside will have Sparkling water and my wife wants cold press coffee. So got a nitro setup and I need to swap out one of the faucets. 3rd tap will have cocktails or whatever.

I don't drink coffee. I know very little about it. From what I was reading you corse grind beans, put in a strainer bag and soak until desired strength. Filter into keg, serve.

Is that it? Doing 1 gallon batches into a cannonball keg. It's a beer gas mix through a stout faucet to degass it.
I've done this before, but did so with a nitrogen kegerator, and there were actually local roasters to me that actually begged their coffee. It sounds like what you're doing is essentially the same as a home-brew setup, but with coffee. That should do it.

My only unknown here that I'd defer to someone else over is your gas system. Not sure if you'd A. risk carbonation, or B. Have pressure so low as to not replace the headspace and end up with oxidized coffee. I don't think those would be an issue, but don't have experience there. Only used pure nitrogen.

The used tank I bought was a steal and is full of beer gas. So I have to deal with it for at least the first tank. And it seems people use beer gas, but will go full nitro on subsequent fills. Keg will be sanitized and CO2 purged, I think my main concern is infection.

Also to be cold steeped at 40F.

The used tank I bought was a steal and is full of beer gas. So I have to deal with it for at least the first tank. And it seems people use beer gas, but will go full nitro on subsequent fills. Keg will be sanitized and CO2 purged, I think my main concern is infection.

Also to be cold steeped at 40F.

In theory infection shouldn’t be a problem. 40F steeped and kept (I assume?) should keep most bugs from being an issue. It also won’t be like a beer like bcbcs where you’re drinking the same keg 6 months after making it so that helps too. Those bugs mostly grow slowly.

2 months is the longest even commercial cold brew kegs should be kept around for anyway. Doesn’t go “bad” it just goes stale.

With 1 gallon batches it won't last long. I also have 3 gallon kegs so I foresee a batch size increase happening. Plan is to start the first this weekend. But good to know on a 2 month window, thank you.

40F steeped and kept (I assume?) should keep most bugs from being an issue.
Maybe, but I wouldn't consider it shelf stable at the home level. I've had some gnarly infections in bottles. Not an issue with kegged/refrigerated coffee though. I use pure nitrogen, don't try using beer gas or you'll have some nasty coffee.

I have one of these things, instructions are simple: https://www.kegoutlet.com/media/uploads_ckeditor/Commercial-Cold-Brew-Coffee-System-Instructions.jpg

I use about 3.6 lbs of coffee per 5.5 gallons.

And get good, freshly roasted coffee. No sense in putting in a lot of effort with low quality, old, or poorly ground beans.

So a stout faucet that degasses the beer would still show negative effects of a beer gas mix? I really don't want to empty a full tank if I don't have to.

So a stout faucet that degasses the beer would still show negative effects of a beer gas mix? I really don't want to empty a full tank if I don't have to.
I don't think that would work since the CO2 is already getting mixed into the keg. You could get a small regulator and buy N2 cartridges (not to be confused with N2O cartridges) for dispensing.

Back