Columbus, OH Travel Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envelopes

Reaction score
Things to keep in mind:
  • Ohio has a 12% ABV cap.
  • High St. is packed on weekend evenings. Avoid driving on it and take side streets.
  • Saturday's during football season are a mess. Expect longer drives.

BREWERIES
Columbus Brewing Company

525 Short St. Columbus / Mon-Sat 11am-10pm, Sun 11am-9pm / columbusbrewingco.com
Their Pale Ale, IPA and usually a rotating seasonal (Summer Teeth, Festbier & Winter Warmer) can be found in bottles easily around town at grocery stores or bottle shops. Bodhi DIPA (tap only) is almost always available somewhere for a growler fill. The brewpub is family friendly, has a great Cuban burrito and often a one-off or two on tap. No bottles available at brewpub.
Seventh Son
1101 N. 4th St., Columbus / Thur-Fri 5pm-2am, Sat-Sun 11am-2am / seventhsonbrewing.com
A fairly new brewery operated by some of the folks who own the bar Bodega and operate the bottle shop Barrel & Bottle. The brewery is also a bar with a nice patio, food trucks and a wide selection of house beers and guest taps. Growlers available. No bottles at this time.
Elevator
171 N. 4th St. / Sat 11am-5pm / elevatorbrewery.com
Small tap room located at brewery with pints or growlers available. They also operate a restaurant right in the middle of downtown. They bottle a large assortment of beers that can be found at most grocery stores and bottle shops and they recently started canning their Bleeding Buckeye Red Ale in 16oz/4 packs. No bottles available at tap room.
Four String
985 W. 6th Ave. Columbus/ Thur-Fri 4pm-11pm, Sat 12pm-11pm / fourstringbrewing.com
Newly opened tap room open. Growlers available. No bottles at this time.
Wolf's Ridge
215 N. 4th St. Columbus / Open 7 days, hours vary / wolfsridgebrewing.com
Newly opened in September 2013. Full restaurant menu with a vegetarian menu coming soon. Solid list of guest taps. Growlers available. No bottles at this time.
Zauber
909 W. 5th Ave. Columbus / Thur-Sat 4pm-8pm / zbeers.com
Currently working on opening a full bar/brewery for Fall 2013 but for now you can stop by and fill up a growler of any of their beers for $10. No bottles at this time.
Barley's Ale House
467 N. High St. / Mon-Thur 11am-12am, Fri-Sat 11am-2am, Sun 12pm-11pm / barleysbrewing.com
A selection of house beers and guest taps. Every Friday they tap a cask of something special. They also operate a BBQ place called Barley's Smokehouse in the Grandview neighborhood West of Downtown.
North High Brewing
1288 N. High St. Columbus / Open 7 days, hours vary / northhighbrewing.com
A large bar with a solid list of guest taps and an assortment of house beers. They also have a brew on permises operation where you can work with them on a schedueled day to make your own 15 gallon batch.
Actual Brewing
actualbrewing.com
Currently producing at a location not open to the public. Beer has begun showing up on tap and there is talk of bottles available in October 2013.
Land-Grant
landgrantbrewing.com
Currently in the licensing and planning stage. Looking to start brewing and canning their kölsch, brown ale, pale ale and imperial IPA in mid-January. Located in the Grandview neighborhood but not currently open to the public.

Semi-Local
Jackie O's
24 West Union St. Athens / Mon-Fri 11am-2am, Sat-Sun 11am-2am / jackieos.com
It's about a two hour drive to Athens (and completely worth it!) but Jackie O's kegs have been all over town lately and are often available for growlers. They also recently started canning and you can usually find six packs of Firefly Amber, Mystic Mama IPA and Chomolungma Brown Ale. Bottle releases are brewery only and event based. They also recently opened a tap room at 25 Campbell St. with limited hours.
Rockmill
5705 Lithopolis Rd. NW, Lancaster / Fri-Sun 12pm-8pm /rockmillbrewery.com
Located half an hour South-East of Columbus. Specializing in Belgian styles, you can find their Witbier, Saison, Dubbel, Tripel and Cask Aged Tripel in bottle shops and some grocery stores around town. They recently opened a tasting room on a horse farm where they have small dinner pairing events and live music on occasion. They do not regularly serve food but they encourage bringing a picnic and if you email them ahead of time they will give suggestions as to cheeses you can find locally that will pair well with their beer. Check their blog before driving out to make sure they aren't closed for a private event.
Granville Brewing Company
facebook.com/thegranvillebrewingcompany
Based out of Granville, half an hour East of downtown. There is currently no location available for visits. At this time they are bottling three Belgian style ales that can be found at some bottle shops in Columbus. Most often spotted at Blacklick Wine & Spirits.
Weasel Boy
126 Muskingum Ave. Zanesville / Tue-Fri 4pm-12am, Sat 3pm-12am / weaselboybrewing.com
Zanesville isn't all that close to Columbus (an hour drive) but their beers do pop-up on tap around town. The brewpub has pizza and growlers available. No bottles at this time.
Buckeye Lake
5176 Walnut Rd. Buckeye Lake / Open 7 days, hours vary / buckeyelakebrewery.com
If you're headed out to Zanesville, Buckeye Lake is on the way. On Sundays they offer a flight of their six beers for $5. Growlers available. No bottles available at this time.
Homestead
811 W. Irving Wick Dr. Heath / Tue 3pm-7pm, Fri 3pm-8pm / homesteadbeerco.com
About 15 minutes North of Buckeye Lake. Growlers available. Two beers were recently bottled.
Hoof Hearted
hoofheartedbrewing.com
Based about an hour North in Marengo, but currently don't have a location you can visit. Their beers appear sporadically on tap but they are often at Columbus brew fests. No bottles available at this time.
Yellow Springs Brewery
305 N. Walnut St. Suite B, Yellow Springs / Closed Mon-Tue, hours vary / yellowspringsbrewery.com
Closer to Dayton but their beer has started to show up on tap around town. Growlers available and food trucks in the lot. No bottles available at this time.

Other Ohio beer to look for when visiting Columbus:
Fat Head's / Cleveland / fatheadscleveland.com / bottles available
Brew Kettle / Cleveland / thebrewkettle.com / botles available
Rheingeist / Cincinnati / rhinegeist.com / tap only
Great Lakes / Cleveland / greatlakesbrewing.com / bottles available
Hoppin' Frog / Akron / hoppinfrog.com / bottles available
Thirsty Dog / Akron / thirstydog.com / bottles available
Rivertown / Cincinnati / rivertownbrewery.com / bottles available

Mead
We get mead from B. Nektar and have a local meadery called Brothers Drake. Both of their products can be found all over town. Brothers Drake has a bar in the Short North neighborhood. They have a few taps with some good local Ohio brews and they also make a lot of cocktails with their mead (many with spirits from Columbus' Middle West Spirits, a distillery literally next door). A food truck is often parked outside. The bar is open 7 days a week and is located at 26 E. 5th Ave.

Last edited:
BARS
Bodega

1044 High St. Columbus / Mon-Sun 11am-2am / columbusbodega.com
Arguably the best beer bar in Columbus. Get half-off all draft beer during Happy Hour, Mon-Fri 4pm-8pm. The food is also good and on Monday's they have a $1 grilled cheese, chips & a pickle. Almost always crammed, less than stellar service but generally worth the headache if you can find a place to sit.
Bob's Bar
4961 N. High St. Columbus / Mon-sun 2pm-2:30am / bobsbar.com
A the North side a short jaunt from downtown. More of a typical bar than a hip hangout with a bit more room to breathe. Trophy of empty Pliny's surround a small TV. It can be a bit annoying trying to read what's on tap as it's all written randomly across various dry erase boards and the lighting isn't all that great. Happy hour specials from 2pm-8pm.
The Crest
2855 Indianola Ave. Columbus / Mon-Sun 11am-1am / facebook.com/thecrestgastropub
Located near Savor Growl/Weiland's/Savor Market. Old dive bar recently revamped into a Modern American gastropub. Rooftop gardens, a local centric menu of food served on wood planks and 60 taps (some of which are draft wine and mead). Half-off drafts during Happy Hour from 3pm-7pm.
Ohio Tap Room
1291 W. 3rd Ave. Columbus / Open 7 days, hours vary / theohiotaproom.com
20 taps of only Ohio brewed beer. They also sells other Ohio-made food and drinks (a few beer bottles, some mead, jerky, etc.). Counter-pressure growler filling. Small samples available for 50 cents (with a limit of 4) but no on site drinking otherwise. Off-street parking for 4 cars.
Winking Lizard
Three locations in and around Columbus: 1380 Bethel Rd. (North-West side), 100 Hutchinson Ave. (far North in Worthington) and the closest to downtown, 1416 W. 5th Ave. (Grandview neighborhood). Happy Hour is 3pm-7pm, Monday-Friday.
The Daily Growler
2812 Fishinger Rd. Upper Arlington/ Open 7 days, hours vary / thedailygrowler.com
On the North-West side in Upper Arlington, about 20 minutes from downtown. 60 taps for growlers or pints. Happy Hour from 3-7pm, 7 days a week offers half-off pints among other deals. They will only fill their own growlers as they have an uncommon filling/capping system. Your growler is swapped for a sanitized/chilled one when returning. Each day a different discounted 'Daily Growler' is posted on their social media sites.
House Beer
843 N. High St. Columbus / Open 7 days, hours vary / facebook.com/myhousebeer
Located in the Short North boutique/gallery/restaurant neighborhood. House Beer is technically a bar (with 6 taps and limited seating) but they also have two large refridgerators and a large wall shelf where they sell beer to go for typical bottle shop prices. If you want to drink it there, you can pay a small fee ($1/btl or $2 for large format) and get some glassware and a seat. Most of their beer on tap is typically available for growlers and they have their own 64oz glass available. No food available aside from soft pretzel knots on some nights but they encourage you to bring food or have it delivered there. They also have a lot of events: beer school, trivia nights, book club, etc.
4th Street Bar & Grill
This one is close to campus and might be worth a stop if you're visiting the school. This is another place like House Beer in that it's mostly a bar but also has a large selection of to-go beer. Unlike House Beer I don't believe you can buy a six-pack and drink it there, though. There is a small shelf of bombers and a large cooler of six-packs. Usually a pretty great selection of beer on tap but the atmosphere is a bit more college-sports bar. Plenty of seating, large patio with tables. Can be pretty loud, especially if a band is playing. Growlers of tap beer are available. Food available.
World of Beer
wobusa.com
Two locations in town: Downtown in the Brewery District at 503 S. Front St. and in the North-East at Easton shopping center 3934 Townsfair Way. The selection is good but the price can be a bit high. Sports bar style atmosphere with a lot of TVs.
The Pint Room
4415 W. Dublin Granville Rd. Dublin / Sun-Wed 11am-12am, Thurs-Sat 11am-2am / pintroomdublin.com
101 taps. Growlers available. $2 off pints during Happy Hour, Mon-Fri 3pm-6pm.
Yellow Brick Pizza
892 Oak St. / Sun-Thu 11am-11pm, Fri-Sat 11am-12am / yellowbrickpizza.com
Solid pizza, good draft and bottle selection. Half-off drafts during Happy Hour, Mon-Fri 4pm-7pm. Bottle prices are very fair ($10 for 375ml 3 Fonteinen Gueuze). Has gotten a bit more popular in recent times and fills up fast. Patio is opening soon. The neighborhood can be a little sketchy and could be uncomfortable for some folks.
Studio 35
3055 Indianola Ave. / hours vary / studio35.com
Independent single screen movie theater with a 40-tap bar in the front room. On the North-Side near Savor Growl. Regularly hold beer & movie pairing/tasting events (buy tickets in advance on their website). Pizza, subs and salads available. Half-off beer during happy hour, Mon-Fri 4pm-6pm. Street parking. Growler fills available.

See also: Seventh Son, North High Brewing and Wolf's Ridge in the BREWERIES section

BOTTLE SHOPS
Barrel & Bottle

Located in the North Market which makes it easy for people traveling with family. Let them wander around while you get down to business. Small selection but pretty high turnover and often overlooked by locals because of the parking/hours. Open until 7pm Tuesday-Friday but closes at 5pm every other day. Four taps available for growlers. Run by the same folks that run Seventh Son and Bodega.
The Andersons
7000 Bent Tree Blvd. Columbus / Mon-Sat 8am-9pm, Sun 9am-7pm / andersonsstore.com
Located in Dublin, about 20 minutes North-West of downtown. This place is a massive general store with everything from gardening supplies and groceries to appliances and clothes. Their beer and wine department is pretty gigantic and they have a great selection of (a bit expensive) singles. There is also a shelf between the beer and wine sections with a large selection of mead. Growlers available. There is also a smaller location at 5800 Alshire Rd. about 15 minutes South-East of downtown.
Crafted Drafts
5245 Hamilton Rd. Columbus / Mon-Sat 12pm-8pm / crafteddrafts.com
A few miles from Easton on the North-East side, about 15 minutes from downtown. Newly opened in September and trying to have the largest craft beer selection in the city (600+).
Blacklick Wine & Spirits
7199 E. Broad St. Columbus / Open 7 days, hours vary / blacklickwine.com
A large selection of refridgerated bombers & six-packs, lots of shelves in between and a back wall shelf of Belgians and other imports. It's a bit of a drive from downtown but that also means it's a little less picked over because of it.

If you are on the North side and/or using I-71 the trio below can easily be visited. All three are located on a 2 mile stretch of Indianola Ave. between the Weber & Morse exits of I-71:

Savor Market
4440 Indianola Ave. / Mon-Fri 8am-11pm, Sat-Sun 9am-11pm / facebook.com/savormarket
Pretty large selection, typically good prices. Don't expect to find anything crazy as they are notorious for hyping 'rare' beer and doing Facebook drawings for the chance to buy anything limited. 8 taps available for growlers. Delivery available.
Weiland's
3600 Indianola Ave. / Mon-Fri 10am-7:30pm, Sat 9am-7pm, Sun 11am-5pm / weilandsmarket.com
Small local/gourmet focused grocery store with a large alcohol selection. Wine is located in the middle of the store and beer and spirits are in a separate room to the left. Very large selection and helpful staff. Probably the crowd favorite place to buy booze in Columbus. Growlers available.
Savor Growl
2991 Indianola Ave. / Mon-Fri 8am-1am, Sat-Sun 9am-1am / facebook.com/savorgrowl
Same as Savor Market but this time with 60+ taps for growler fills.

See also: House Beer and 4th Street Bar & Grill in the BARS section

There are many other places to find good beer in Columbus but I think these listed above have the largest selection and will be the most consistent/fresh for someone traveling. Stop in other places you find and you might get something nice!

A Few Words About Three Floyds:
Yes, we get Three Floyds in Ohio. Lately we've been getting a lot and by 'a lot' I mean the good shops maybe getting a case of something every week or two. Usually it is bombers but every so often we will get Zombie Dust, Alpha King or Gumballhead. These are almost always sold at one per person and rarely last more than a few hours. There is no store you can be directed to that will have Three Floyds beer on the shelf. Visit the shops listed above and you might get lucky, but don't expect to find anything or you will likely leave disappointed.

[Hopefully this guide with change and expand as time goes on. If anyone has anything to add or if there's something you feel is missing or should be changed, shoot me a BM. Thanks to cneville BorisKarloff and Columbus for corrections and suggestions so far.]

Last edited:
Too bad Hoster Brewing is long gone. Rev. Purely Pale Ale was one of my favorites. I get back to Columbus every now an then and always hit Anderson's. I love that store

Too bad Hoster Brewing is long gone. Rev. Purely Pale Ale was one of my favorites. I get back to Columbus every now an then and always hit Anderson's. I love that store

They've brought back a few Hoster beers. Gold Top is almost always on tap at Double Happiness and I believe you can get six packs of it. Don't believe I've seen the Rev. Purely, though.

It's worth noting that Savor Market will deliver, which has been pretty awesome since I live JUST inside their delivery area.

The Crest also has half off drafts all day on Sunday (which, as far as I'm aware, includes growler fills).

I would consider adding Studio 35 as well - they regularly hold beer tastings paired with movies and offer a fairly wide variety of beers on tap and will fill growlers.

It's worth noting that Savor Market will deliver, which has been pretty awesome since I live JUST inside their delivery area.

The Crest also has half off drafts all day on Sunday (which, as far as I'm aware, includes growler fills).

I would consider adding Studio 35 as well - they regularly hold beer tastings paired with movies and offer a fairly wide variety of beers on tap and will fill growlers.
dirty liiiiiiiiiines

It's also worth noting that Bodhi is ****ing awesome.

I was hoping maybe people could reply to this with a list of what they would make sure to pick up while in Columbus?

The obvious ones are:
Brew Kettle White Rajah
Fat Head's Head Hunter
Columbus IPA and a growler of Bodhi

How about non-IPA suggestions?

How about non-IPA suggestions?

Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

These have far wider distribution, though - Columbus is unfortunately a little hard up when it comes to solid local bottles/cans that aren't Pale Ales or IPAs. We have some solid stuff around the city, but most of it is only available via growlers.

I do like to recommend Chomo-Lung-Ma since I really dig it, but brown ales aren't to everyone's style - Rivertown's sours are also worth checking out.

FOOD
There's a lot of great places to eat in Columbus at a lot of different price points. This could go on forever. Most of these are cheap and you don't need a damn tie. You want fancy, ask someone else.

Los Guachos
5221 Godown Road / Mon-Fri 11am-12am, Sat-Sun 11am-1am / Facebook page only
Pretty far up on the North Side but some of the best tacos I've found in the city. The Al Pastor is great and the big bowls of pickled habaneros, red onions and ??? sitting on all the tables are incredible. Cheap, quick, open late.
Junior's Taco Truck
Corner of 5th & Highland / Closed Wed, otherwise 10am-11pm / No website
Runner up for tacos and more conveniently located near Campus. Closed Wednesdays but otherwise open 10am-11pm. The lengua (beef tongue) taco is a killer when they haven't ran out. Sometimes inconsistent but really cheap. The convenience store next door has tons of dusty old beer but occasionally has a case of limited release stuff just sitting around.
Katzinger's Deli
475 S. 3rd St. / Mon-Fri 8:30am-8:30pm, Sat-Sun 9am-8:30pm / katzingers.com
In German Village a little South of Downtown. Near Schiller Park, good coffee at Cup-O-Joe, and a great bookstore called The Book Loft. No beer here but you're coming for the Reuben so don't sweat it. Pickles in barrels. Sometimes a bit of a wait.
Explorer's Club
1586 S. High St. / Hours vary, closed for a few hours midday / explorersclubmv.com
A bit South of German Village and the area can be a little sketchy at night. They have a steady menu with great things like a Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich with bacon and a fried egg (!!!) and there is a monthly rotating menu that is always based on some kind of regional foods (German, Indian, etc.). Most of it is in the mid range but some things can be a little pricey. Big portions. Small bar. They also have a food truck that has shows up at random spots.
Knead
505 N. High St. / varying hours, closed early Sun / kneadonhigh.com
Diner style. Burgers and fries with varying specials. Great fried chicken sandwich. Killer house ketchup. Good beer selection.
Skillet
410 E. Whittier St. / Wed-Fri 11am-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 8am-2pm / skilletruf.com
Near German Village. Super local centric, a bit expensive. No reservations. If you go for weekend brunch expect to wait a long while. Menu changes almost daily depending on what they have or run out of. Solid options for meat eaters and vegetarians.
Northstar Cafe
Various locations, one in the Short North / 9am-10pm 7 days / thenorthstarcafe.com
I'm not a huge fan of Northstar but folks really seem to dig it. A little on the pricier side given portion sizes. Big Newstand to browse. Their Veggie burger is pretty well loved and they have solid soups.
Katalina's
1105 Pennsylvania Ave. / Mon-Fri 8am-9pm Sat-Sun 8am-4pm / katalinascolumbus.com
West of Downtown/Short North area in Victorian Village. Definitely leans more towards brunch type options. Awesome stuff like Fig & Prosciutto sandwiches, pancake balls and killer breakfast egg/chorizo tacos. Pretty tiny and crammed inside but has a nice patio area if the weather is right.
Thurman Cafe
183 Thurman Ave. / 11am-2:30am 7 days a week / thethurmancafe.com
A little South of Downtown around the bottom of German Village. Massive, sloppy, brain slamming burgers and plenty of booze. No reservations so expect a pretty long wait if you're going at a typical eating time.
Dirty Frank's
248 S. 4th St. / Sun-Th 11am-2am, Th-Fri 11am-1:45am / dirtyfrankscolumbus.com
Pretty easily accessible if you're in the downtown area. The Hot Dog Palace. Six different base dogs to pick from (including Bacon Wrapped and three different Veggiedog options) and a pretty giant selection of topping variants. I'm pretty partial to the T-Dog: sriracha mustard, roasted red peppers, bacon bits, & cheddar. They also have deals on most nights after 10pm. Last I checked Friday was a Chicago Dog, fries and a bottle of Old Style for $5. They have a handful of good beer on tap, only play local music and have alcoholic slushies. They will do carryout until 1:45am 7 nights a week.
Note: There is also a Tequila bar with cheap mexican food (El Camino), a sort of typical bar with burgers & pizza type stuff (Little Palace) and a free-play arcade/bar (16-Bit) all on the same block. Also, the folks who own Dirty Frank's (The Columbus Food League) have some other restaurants around town: Jury Room, Tip Top, Surly Girl, Betty's, Grass Skirt. I haven't been to Jury Room and I found Grass Skirt to be not worth the money but the others are pretty great and have a similar focus on good beer, good prices & vegetarian/vegan options that don't suck.

Coffee
One Line (Short North: My favorite, expensive, espresso/pour over/cold brew, no food)
Stauf's (Grandview: Close runner up, really slow, a little pricey, cafe and bulk bean sales)
Brioso (Downtown: Pretty good, standard options, some food)
Apropos (Victorian Village: 'European style' also has tons of wine, beer, liquor)
Cup-O-Joe (Various locations. Simple, pretty cheap, typical but local)
There's also a lot of micro-roasters, some with small cafes in various places, and a handful that can be purchased whole bean at nice grocery stores (Weiland's, Whole Foods, Hills Market, etc.)

Great list. I'll add Schmidt's to the list of restaurants. Eddie George's place is always great on game days.

Would like to at madmex in gateway to this list. The best chicken wings I've ever had (try the southwest) along with a really solid tap list.

Would like to at madmex in gateway to this list. The best chicken wings I've ever had (try the southwest) along with a really solid tap list.
second that. also, actual is about to bottle (maybe is already?) + tap room open fridays from 5-10

Zauber Brewing just opened a taproom on 5th in Grandview this past weekend
Is it worth going to? I've never been super impressed by any of their stuff, but if it's cheap/cool it would still be worth checking out. Also Wolf's Ridge will have a DIPA on in the next week or so and are brewing a tripel--seem to be branching out a little bit.

Is it worth going to? I've never been super impressed by any of their stuff, but if it's cheap/cool it would still be worth checking out. Also Wolf's Ridge will have a DIPA on in the next week or so and are brewing a tripel--seem to be branching out a little bit.
Checking it out this weekend hopefully, will report back. I know they have other local options on tap as well....and I'm pretty sure some are served in 1L steins!!

Not really in Columbus, but a little East is Brew's Cafe in Granville. I think they have 25ish taps, great food and bottles to go. The Beverage Source is a nice bottle shop just down the road in Newark.

Back