Comedy (Standup, Film/TV, Podcasts, Improv, etc.)

Discussion in 'Totally Off-Topic' started by seedavid, Jul 23, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. seedavid

seedavid

There seem to be plenty of people here that love comedy, which makes sense. If you put a bunch of dorks in the same place together for awhile, somebody is eventually going to start quoting The Simpsons or Monty Python or whatever. So I was surprised that there wasn't already some place for us to discuss standup, comedy film and tv, improv, podcasts, and whatever other forms comedy now takes. I know I couldn't find one and wasn't sure if maybe at one time it existed, but was locked and deleted because somebody declared Jeff Dunham to be the funniest man alive.

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I'll mention that I'm going to a screening today of this movie:
    [​IMG]
    Afterwards, there's a Q&A with some of the stars (though I'm honestly not sure which ones). Ira Glass will also supposedly be there, so I'm really excited.

drbenzo, mborden, Stubs and 6 others like this.
  2. Bill

Bill

I like comedic stylings

quirk6, jbuddle, Vogt52 and 1 other person like this.
  3. rjose

rjose

I want to take all my friend's kids to that Sausage Party movie.

4. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

Big comedy nerd here, also CBB fan so all references always welcome. Heynong man.

BrandoSF and seedavid like this.
  5. Podunkparte

Podunkparte

[​IMG]

Max, DJPhresh, Hanzo and 7 others like this.
  6. Padraig

Padraig Premium Supporter Contributor

Got this thread on watch. I'm a big fan of the UK darkcom stuff but loads of it doesn't translate so will hold off rather than killing this thread stone dead. :)

Frank likes this.
  7. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Kids in the Hall. That is all.

[​IMG]

quirk6, Max, TDBuck and 3 others like this.
  8. capnmike

capnmike Premium Supporter Contributor

So, how was it? Tami Sagher and Keegan Michael Key were both in/around improv/Second City in Chicago same time I was into it. Looking forward to this!

9. capnmike

capnmike Premium Supporter Contributor

Also, I don't follow standup that closely, but a friend of mine who has recently transitioned from improv to taking years off to be a dad to young kids to standup sent me this link as something he enjoyed. I liked it too (but again, apologies if it's old had to you SA (standup advocates)).

buzzword, Max and Stubs like this.
  10. fosterjm

fosterjm

Give me some Super Troopers or some Monty Python and the Holy grail and ill watch that shit on repeat.

quirk6, Max, Frank and 3 others like this.
  11. seedavid

seedavid

I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you like improv, and especially if you like NYC improv and SNL behind the scenes/origin stories type stuff, you're going to love it. All of the characters just feel so authentic. Without spoiling anything, the character Mike Birbiglia plays has to have been written with a specific person or some people in mind.

Everybody was great, but Gillian Jacobs was the standout. Chris Gethard was also awesome, but I have an irrational love of that guy, so I'll admit my bias.

After the movie was over, there was supposed to be a Q&A with Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass (he was a producer), but we got some special guests and were joined by Tami Sagher and special guest moderator JUDD FUCKING APATOW!

hamberder, mborden and capnmike like this.
  12. seedavid

seedavid

All joking a salad, I need to know your favorite CBB characters.

In no particular order, I'd have to go with Marissa Wompler, Don DiMello, and Jason Mantzoukas (played to perfection by the great Jeffrey Characterwheaties).

BrandoSF and thewimperoo like this.
  13. thewimperoo

thewimperoo

I miss Harris' Foam Corner :(

Big fan of Gino Lombardo as well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    zieglemt and seedavid like this.
  14. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

Intern Gino and John Lennon are without question my two favorite more recent characters. Lauren Lapkus, PFT and James Adomian are probably my top three favorite guests, with Zouks, Nick Kroll, Andy Daly and Brendon Small rounding out the rest. There are so many good ones though, honorable mention to Joe Wengert and Jon Daly. And who could forget Benny Schwaz.

Wompler and Listler are actually among my least favorite :(

Hoping for a new ep of UTU2TM soon.

15. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket

This lineup is pretty stellar

16. gregkoko

gregkoko

I haven't seen it yet, but after everything I've read Birbig's character is 100% based on Gethard. Gethard was the one that started at UCB in 2000 and had a lot of his students going on to fame and fortune. Seth Myers tried to get him a job on SNL but Geth sadly wasn't up to snuff. Bobby Moynihan is one of his best friends who wound up getting a job there. Then you have Zach Woods, Ellie Kemper, etc.

17. ScottJWing

ScottJWing

The WTF podcast with Gethard is super interesting and hilarious, highly recommend. My only prior knowledge of him was as Ilana's boss on Broad City so it was nice to learn some background.

thewimperoo and gregkoko like this.
  18. gregkoko

gregkoko

Much like Chris I'm a complete shill for Geth. The Chris Gethard Show is one of my favorite things to ever exist haha. The new cable version is much more streamlined, but still a lot of fun. Public Access Years are crazy. Also highly recommend his book, standup, podcasts, etc.

This is one of the newest episodes and among the best they've ever done.

seedavid and ScottJWing like this.
  19. gregkoko

gregkoko

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a47018/chris-gethard-profile-ucb-dont-think-twice/

seedavid likes this.
  20. MooseLang

MooseLang

Chris Gethard's WTF with Maron was fantastic. One of the better ones in recent memory.

Nate Bargatze is fuckin' hilarious. I don't know if it's his accent, his delivery, or his storytelling, but he is just one of those dudes who I just start laughing at right when I hear them.

capnmike and gregkoko like this.