US - New England Connecticut... What's going on?

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by lambandtunaphish, Nov 26, 2013.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. mwbbq

mwbbq

I have not yet - putting them on the list, thanks!

quirk6 likes this.
  2. mwbbq

mwbbq

Ridgefield is easy to get to - I think we are going there to try that Heibeck's Stand place which according to some list we saw this winter had the best everything in CT so we're going to see how overrated it is. Been to Tribus and liked it last Christmas, but was joking about 2 Roads.... If we stop in Bridgeport which has so far never happened in my 10+ trips up there, maybe we will get some chicken.

Thanks!

quirk6 and lambandtunaphish like this.
  3. lambandtunaphish

lambandtunaphish

2R has the new "Area Two" facility, which is probably worth a stop. Big change from what the original taproom's availability was.

And by Bridgeport I mean "Black Rock"... That distinction matters I think :confused:

I guess there's also Lock City in Stamford. I don't think it's anything too special, but haven't had much from them recently.

Oh and Decadent Ales opened not far across the NY border, if you're into their adjunct nonsense.

mwbbq likes this.
  4. Phin

Phin

Hey mwbbq ! Just read your post.

Heibeck's is decent, but It's just average burgers, sandwiches, ice cream with outdoor seating with a view of the very busy Rte. 7. Not worth a trip there unless you're eating there as a matter of being really close by doing something else.

A few miles north of them is HooDoo BBQ, also right on 7, good to very good bbq *for CT anyhow. But if you want to do something different like seafood, I would check out Westfair Fish & Chips in Westport. It's about 1 mile from 95, so easy to hit before or after 2 Roads. Basic, no frill-s counter service. Very tasty fish, oysters, clams, lobster rolls though. And they are BYOB, if you want to drink a tall boy with your meal.

And if you like pizza and going to NEBCO, hit up Ernie's, a short ride down the same road. It has excellent New Haven pie without the lines. Or check out Modern with a slightly bigger line if you want to eat at one of their more famous pizza spots in New Haven. They have NEBCO on draft as a plus.

Enjoy your trip !

5. Skittle34

Skittle34

OEC should be on that list of places to check out as well

lambandtunaphish and mwbbq like this.
  6. mwbbq

mwbbq

Update: thanks for the recommendations.

Heibeck's was good not great as expected.

Nod Hill: I was rushed but thought it was pretty good. Picked up some Super Mantis cans after a flight.

At Decadent everything was undercarbonated, had room for improvement but was not terrible. Cool space, but the real winner was the adjacent beer store Half Time with a great albeit unrefrigerated selection of beers.

Went to Treehouse on 7/2 since I was picking up 5 (lol) fresh blueberry pies at the Publick House for my MIL and lucked into a Juice Machine release. Sacrificed draft time for waiting time but baby was ok despite some dog bowling her over while trying to attack another dog. Haze and Super Typhoon both great, others good, JM tastes like Five Alive in a great way.

Not from recommendations, but if you like ice cream go to Ferris Acres in Newtown. Best ice cream I've ever had and I dont think it is close. Much fresh, such pastry. Stout lover's dream.

Pepe's pizza is better next-day than fresh. But is still tasty.

Checked out Area Two and was very nice. Beers still OK but definitely better than regular 2R offerings.

Lobster rolls and Walter's hot dogs are still good. Until next time, CT.

tikk, Phin, lambandtunaphish and 3 others like this.
  7. blckout20

blckout20

Anyone here going to the Rare & Vintage Beer Tasting to benefit Smilow? I have a ticket but am unsure if I'll be able to make it or not.

8. GMRfx

GMRfx

Hope to see you there. It's a lot of bottles we have had donated (including about 125 from my cellar). I'll likely be pouring sours, and have some fun stuff to open. Not everything will be great, but most of it will at the very least be interesting to try.