Europe (Other) Copenhagen - A beer geek's rough guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by macpete, Feb 25, 2016.

1. macpete

macpete

To be honest I wasn't impressed myself either on my last visit. I may have to modify my above review a little bit. In any case I also think prices are a little steep compared to what you get (including the whole self-service concept). The tap list is usually quite good though.

Dunt likes this.
  2. Dunt

Dunt

We walked to Fermentoren right after and they had a great taplist, so maybe I judged it unfairly. The area around War Pigs is cool, just dont think I'd get food next time I was there.

Thank you for the guide BTW. I love having knowledgeable locals give tips on where to go, always makes traveling easier:)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    FEUO and macpete like this.
  3. macpete

macpete

Bottle shop section updated with "Belgisk Bryg".

mrk_d likes this.
  4. simont1

simont1

Yeah, the food at Warpigs is embarrassingly disappointing, and overpriced. The worst food by far from what I've tried in the meat packing district.

5. BirdUp

BirdUp

The tacos at Hija De Sanchez right next to Warpigs are damn good.

DougOLis likes this.
  6. thegerm87

thegerm87

Literally stumbled upon Koelschip while wandering around before dinner one night. Super friendly, super knowledgable, great bottle and tap options. A tad pricey but just what we were looking for in a lambic bar.

Also, while not beer related, Ralae is right around the corner and is a really interesting/excellent dinner experience.

7. beerindex

beerindex

And here I was, excited to try Warpigs bbq when they came to Boston for CBC later this month. Guess I know to avoid it given the reactions in this thread.

8. Dunt

Dunt

Manfred's is right across the street (same restaurant group as Ralae) and is a fantastic option as well. Food was excellent and their selection of natural wines was top notch. Very affordable tasting menu as well.

mrk_d and thegerm87 like this.
  9. DCLA

DCLA

Will be in CPH tomorrow with a few friends if anyone wants to meet up for a beer. Looking forward to the visit!

10. macpete

macpete

I can second that. Great place and relaxed atmosphere.

Dunt likes this.
  11. tbub18

tbub18

Planning to stop over to Himmeriget on Thursday October 6th if any Copenhagen people are around, shoot me a message. Meeting a couple people to trade/share bottles, more the merrier!

Also planning to hit Koelschip, but not sure when yet...

12. tbub18

tbub18

Plan on Oct 6th is Himmeriget then walk over to Koelschip. So far there are three of us, hit me up if you wanna join!

Fahmie25 and GregorySingh like this.
  13. bostoneans

bostoneans

Gonna be in Copenhagen from the 15th until the 20th. I made a reservation at Ralae. What did you think? what was the food like?

DCLA likes this.
  14. GregorySingh

GregorySingh

I ate at ralae last month after Himmeriget and Koelship. It was an awesome dining experience, and the perfect meal after drinking a lot of lambic/geuze. Also had one of the most amazing and unique deserts I've ever had.

DCLA, bostoneans and tbub18 like this.
  15. thegerm87

thegerm87

I was really impressed with the food. The dishes were simple, well composed, and creative. They didn't use any ingredients we hadn't already heard of/eaten in the past - they just ended up using/preparing those ingredients in ways we'd never even thought of - so it was a fun experience while still being really approachable overall. The portions are relatively small but if you've ever been anywhere similar, you'll know what to expect.

GregorySingh, DCLA and bostoneans like this.
  16. bostoneans

bostoneans

Awesome! thank you so much for the info. That's pretty much what I was expecting.

DCLA likes this.
  17. MrOrla

MrOrla

Barley Wine has closed, i remember reading something about it.

18. macpete

macpete

Yes, unfortunately that's true :( Had my last visit there a couple of weeks ago. I've now removed it from the list of bottle shops.

19. MrOrla

MrOrla

It was a shame, beacuse of his health right? He still does tastings and those things?

20. ChairmanHoltz

ChairmanHoltz

This seems like the best place to post about my Copenhagen trip. macpete's list was very helpful in planning my trip. Himmeriget and Koelschip are must-visits. Great bottle lists and reasonable prices. At Himmeriget it was funny seeing the locals go crazy for a Monkish hazy IPA on tap while I was obsessing over the bottle list.

I would strongly recommend skipping ├ślbutikken. To say the shelves were half-full would be extremely generous. Selection is almost non-existent. With no inventory and one tap line, it's hardly a "business" in any meaningful way. Kihoskh, on the other hand, was very nice: a well-curated selection with good prices. As noted by others, the bulk of the bottles are downstairs.

There's no Uber or comparable service, but biking and walking will get you just about everywhere you'd want to go.

FEUO, beerindex and DCLA like this.