Europe (Other) Copenhagen - A beer geek's rough guide

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by macpete, Feb 25, 2016.

Help Support TalkBeer Community by donating:

1. Dunt

Dunt

Got a room in a shared airbnb apartment (wife and I are out all day anyways and were on a pretty long vacation, so wanted to save money) in the middle of Copenhagen, great spot that was easy walking distance from everything. First evening we get there, meet our host and drop our bags off before heading out to War Pigs & Fermentoren. Think the host is a little odd, but use to strange encounters while traveling. Have a great time out, head back, pass out, wake up the next morning to explore the city. The shower for the apartment was next to the front door and as Im getting ready in the morning, I can hear a knocking at the front door. Sounds like it isnt getting answered and eventually stops. I finish up and head back to our room and started getting dressed. My wife and I are both in our underwear when the door is kicked in and some Danish police officers rush in to our room yelling in Danish. We tell them we are American, they tell us to come out into the living room. We ask to grab our passports and get dressed really quick.

Once dressed, we move out to the living room where the host and a couple other people are already on the sofas and chairs. One person is handcuffed already and my wife and I are freaking out a bit. The host and police are having a pretty heated discussion in Danish. They take our passports and start taking down our information and bring us into our bedroom and start questioning us about our travel itinerary. They realize we are just tourists in town for a few days and after a little bit, tell us we are free to go. We ask what is going on, they said they have received a tip that the apartment is being use to traffic drugs. We ask if we can lock up our room before we leave since all our of travel possessions are in it, they give the ok and we leave. We try to enjoy the city, go grab some food at Paprioen, etc., but are having a miserable time after that whole experience, so we decide to head back, grab our stuff, and find a hotel.

When we get back to the apartment, our host is nowhere to be found and no one seems to be there. We b line it to our room and find that it has been opened, our bed has been smashed in half, and all of our clothes and possessions are scattered all over them room. At this point, we hastily pack everything that we see of ours as fast as we can and book it to the nearest bar we can find with wifi to contact airbnb. That is my airbnb story.

2. DougOLis

DougOLis

HOOLLLYY SHIITT

3. wuntrikpony

wuntrikpony

That is fucked up!! Did Airbnb do anything for ya?

PurityControl88, Dunt and drinkypoo like this.
  4. Dunt

Dunt

It was pretty fucked up. There were a few minutes where I was trying to figure out if I use my call to call my parents or the US embassy.

They said they would put us up in another airbnb on them. Sat in that bar for a couple hours waiting for them to find a place, they never found anything, my wife and I had a reservation at Baest that night for dinner, so we had to bring our travel packs with us there. Still didnt have anything after dinner, so we took the only hotel room available in the city (there was a restaurant conference in town that weekend) for around $400/night and never saw a dime for our experience from airbnb. It almost ruined our vacation for us.

5. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Fuckin hell. Ok, got it. Airbnb's can potentially be problematic.

There are luggage places around the city where you can drop your gear. Not sure if they existed back when you travelled there. Avoids hauling luggage, etc.

apatrick17, Dunt and wuntrikpony like this.
  6. apatrick17

apatrick17

That’s fucking awful man. Glad you and your wife made it out ok, but I can understand how that experience could ruin an entire vacation.

Since my last post my wife and I realized a hotel might be our best option. Our next stop is Budapest, and we haven’t booked our flight yet. Turns out there’s only one non-stop flight the day we’re leaving and it’s at 8pm (which is fine, because we wanted to spend a good chunk of the day in Copenhagen anyway). So we’d have to try to make special arrangements with our hosts to leave our shit, because lugging it around all day is no longer an option at this stage of my life haha. Did not think about paying to store it though, as drinkypoo pointed out. Will have to consider that.

drinkypoo and Dunt like this.
  7. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Luggagehero.

I used the one at the hotel next to the train station. Very convenient.

Also, I'm heading to Budapest next month and will be there a couple nights. Looking for suggestions on what are must do's, eats, and drinks. Have fun!

apatrick17 likes this.
  8. apatrick17

apatrick17

We won’t be there until September so it looks like I’ll be getting pro-tips from you for Budapest in addition to Copenhagen :D

drinkypoo likes this.
  9. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Shit, do I gotta do everything?

apatrick17 likes this.
  10. PurityControl88

PurityControl88

So the SAS flight to Copenhagen stocks a hazy IPA by Mikkeller. It’s delicious...off to a great start.

11. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

And Mikkeller just opened a bar at the CPH airport.

12. TheFarmBoy3

TheFarmBoy3

Gonna be in CPH first two weeks in September if anyone else is around. Thanks to macpete / DCLA and everyone on this tread kicking down knowledge. Just told the Wife that Airbnb horror story as she is looking for places. :eek:

DCLA and GregorySingh like this.
  13. hobeawr

hobeawr

Will be there 2-5th I believe. Would be down to meetup for a beer.

Was thinking of bringing something to share at one of the bars (maybe Himmeriget or Koelschip), but wasnt sure if that would be frowned upon.

TheFarmBoy3 likes this.
  14. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

If you need an Airbnb recommendation I can provide one. Had an excellent experience in centralized location in CPH.

Dunt and TheFarmBoy3 like this.
  15. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

Just share Bokkereyder(s) at Koelschip. ;)

TheFarmBoy3 likes this.
  16. RyanG

RyanG

This is an amazing AirBnB we stayed in right in the heart of old town off the main? street. Easy walking to everything, quiet and great hosts.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6945870

TheFarmBoy3 likes this.
  17. drinkypoo

drinkypoo

TheFarmBoy3 likes this.
  18. hobeawr

hobeawr

Haha yeah, like, would a pastry stout at Koelschip get me banned? Can't wait to go!

drinkypoo and TheFarmBoy3 like this.
  19. howL

howL

Consider searching for AirBnB's near Frederiksberg. We stayed at one that was a couple blocks from the Forum metro stop and stumbling distance from Himmeriget. It was a little quieter, still easy to get around, and quite a bit cheaper than the city center. Looks like the listing we stayed at is no longer active but there are plenty in the area.

20. simont1

simont1

They have plenty