Couple of days in LA, where to stay? Any off the radar recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolino

Reaction score
Hi there everyone! So I have a couple of days in LA mid March and was looking were to stay… I am mostly interested in hitting tap rooms / small breweries, 4/5 places at most and what I have at the top of my list right now are Monkish, Smog City and Beachwood.

I guess I should stay in either Long Beach/ Torrance? I haven´t been to LA in almost 25 years now…

Any further recommendations on places to hit?

Thanks everyone!

Hi there everyone! So I have a couple of days in LA mid March and was looking were to stay… I am mostly interested in hitting tap rooms / small breweries, 4/5 places at most and what I have at the top of my list right now are Monkish, Smog City and Beachwood.

I guess I should stay in either Long Beach/ Torrance? I haven´t been to LA in almost 25 years now…

Thanks everyone!

Long Beach is cool, but I probably wouldn't stay in Torrance (isn't too much there aside from the breweries IMO). Honestly, I would probably try to stay in downtown (Mikkeller Bar, Mumford Brewing, the newly opened Modern Times, close to Highland Park Brewery, relatively close to Verdugo West Brewing, and more). There are lots of great restaurants downtown as well.

Since you'll be on vacation, you can time your driving so as to not be stuck in traffic. You could spend a whole day doing the downtown area places I mentioned above, and another day doing Long Beach, Torrance etc. (I would actually start that day at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, then head up to the 2 Beachwood locations in Long Beach (Smog has a location in Long Beach as well), then up to Torrance for Monkish and Smog, and perhaps finish at Three Weavers in Inglewood).

Sorry for the info overload, hope it was helpful.

Thanks everyone!

Not sure what else you have planned, but basically there are a cluster if breweries in the Torrance area (Smog City, Monkish) a cluster downtown (see above) and another group in the Placentia/Santa Ana are (Bottle Logic, Green Cheek). Beachwood is between the Torrance area and the Placentia locations. If you want to do downtown stuff, stay down there and Uber to the other locs . If you want to check out the beach, I'd stay in near the Redondo Pier...it's a short drive to Torrance Breweries from there. Naja's on the Redondo Pier is a great beer bar as well.

Thanks everyone for the replies so far... This will be a layover between two long flights so plan to relax as much as I can. Don´t think I want to do downtown, close to Redondo Pier sounds more relaxed and might provide an opportunity to check out the beach. Would like to do a couple hype places (hence Monkish/ Smog, maybe FW Venice?) and a couple small but quaility taprooms... Green Cheek, Bottle Logic, Three Weavers all seem valid choices!

San Diego is out of the question, don´t want to rush a visit there, I´ll have to make a dedicated trip sometime down the line...

Redondo is close to the airport and you can hit up Smog City, Monkish, FW Venice, and Smog pretty easily. Like BigFrank suggested Naja's has a ton on tap/in bottles and you can walk two doors down and try King Harbor (not in the same league as the other breweries, but if you want to tick it's right there). Have a run on the Strand and play some beach volleyball while you're there.

Back