US - South Creature Comforts in ATL

Discussion in 'Beer Travel, Events and Releases' started by ChipKelly, Dec 18, 2014.

1. mateoloco

mateoloco

You're much more likely to be able to get Athena than Trop. Even locals claim never to have seen Trop cans in stores. Here are some places near Inman Park where you may find Athena:
    Hop City Krog Street Market (parking can be a bitch so I'd call first, but it's the beer store with arguably the most extensive selection in Atlanta)
    Savi Provisions
    My Friend's Growler Shop--I know the guys who run the store and I texted them and they have ordered cans but don't know if they'll be on the truck tomorrow. If they are, they will hold a sixer of whatever comes for me. If do get some, I'm sure they'd hold some Athena for you as well, as it usually doesn't sell out right away. I'll PM you if their shipment comes in.

gregkoko likes this.
  2. AptosBeerDrinker

AptosBeerDrinker

Looks like I'll try my hand at Hop City. Thanks for the intel. Much appreciated.

mateoloco likes this.
  3. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

What's the story with CC beers on tap in/around Atlanta/Athens? I'm gonna be driving through, staying in Atlanta Saturday afternoon/night and then leaving Sunday. I can detour on my way up to Asheville through Athens if necessary. Really want to drink some of the more interesting paradisos etc, if they're at all available outside the brewery (since I'm driving Sunday, the brewery's closed :(.)

I may also pick up some cans if you think any of the places above have, but I'm not as much on the hunt for cans as I am for tastes of one-offs if at all possible.

4. mateoloco

mateoloco

The two paradiso variants that have popped up from time to time are the tart cherry and the guava passionfruit. Haven't seen the tart cherry in a while. You may stumble on the guava passionfruit if you're lucky (at either a restaurant or growler store). A lot was around end of September and there may have been a few places that sat on their kegs.. I think your best bet is just to look on untappd and see if there are any check-ins. Sorry I can't provide more concrete info.

5. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Any other CC non-canned stuff that hit kegs anywhere? And what spots in Athens are best?

6. mateoloco

mateoloco

Automatic (their pale ale) hit Atlanta on draft last week, so you should be able to find that around on tap (again, Untappd is your friend). Like all their stuff, it's really good. If you go to Athens you should be able to find cans of Trop and Athena without much trouble (gas stations, grocery stores, etc.). The best craft beer bar is Trappeze Pub (I've never been but that's what everyone says). If I hear about any events or bars with good CC stuff I'll let you know.

7. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Cool thanks. I also should have said I'm not there till December. My bad. But yeah just trying to plan in advance.

mateoloco likes this.
  8. RayP

RayP

5 Points Growler Shop in Athens has two locations, not too far from each other. They're out of passion fruit guava Athena, though, and they don't update their menu often FYI. You can find Automatic (pale ale) and Arcadiana (saison) at both locations, I believe.

Last few time I've gone to Trappeze their beer menu has been awful. Walked right out before even ordering a beer. Last 3 times I've gone there they haven't even had Trop. Brixx just a few doors down sometimes has some good CC options in the past and has had the Paradiso variants. Amicci the pizza place was where I went last week that also had some good options, including Automatic.

9. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

mateoloco & RayP y'all are awesome. Added all this info to my map/plan. Thanks a million!

If you wanna grab a beer when I'm in Atlanta area (Dec 19 is the plan), let me know. I'd love to.

RayP and mateoloco like this.
  10. RayP

RayP

I actually think we are having a bottle share on the 19th. Where are you staying at?

11. nathanmiller

nathanmiller

Hilton Atlanta on courtland street. Would love to join.

RayP and mateoloco like this.