Croatia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GetchaPull

Reaction score
One of our favorite locations in Europe...only Dubrovník so far. Seafood is amazing, beer is rough, local wine (Malvasia) is outstanding, and the sights/beaches/parks/cities top everything else.

Planning on Krk and/or Split in the coming year. Anybody have any recs for places, food, otherwise?

Plitvice National Park is an amazing trip inland. We spent a few hours going amount the surreal blue waters.

Split is a fun city. Liked it over Dubrovnik. The islands are a main attraction of Crotia. We went to Hvar. Short ferry ride from Split. Worth a day trip or overnight. The food is good. Nothing special. But seek out seafood.

Agreed on Split. Dubrovnik is beautiful but a little nutty with tourists and the food was decent. I’d go again but it’s a haul to get to if driving down from main Croatia.
I really dug Split. The vibe, walkability, food, etc. Stayed in old town and had everything at our doorstep.

The beer will almost always be substandard. Just drink it as cold as possible. ;)
Although I bought a 2L plastic bottle of Korlavacko for 2E. Not sure that was a good buy.

Plitvice is fantastic. We stayed at a pension just down the street from the gates and had an incredible meal there. Very typical Croatian homemade lamb/potato/carrot peka.

I’d recommend a stop along Makarska Rivieria. Lots of beautiful seaside towns. Super fresh seafood and at great prices. We stayed in Tucepi.

We are going back this summer with the kids and doing Istria with a couple nights in Rovinj and a bunch on the coast south of Pula after.

Tl;dr
Chevaps for lunch, seafood for dinner, gelato for dessert. Rinse and repeat.
Wine over beer.
Travarica is my slivo of choice. It’s herbal brandy whereas the plum is rough, and pear is ok.

Lots of great recommends here...thanks guys. My wife is Slovak and slivovica is indeed horrific. Hruškovica is definitely better.

I've been to Croatia once. And I have a serious itch to go back.

Did Dubrovnik, Korčula and Hvar. Unfortunately I was only in Split long enough to catch a flight to London.

I liked Korčula a little more than Hvar. Both were beautiful, but Korčula was more laid back.

Not sure how I missed a Croatian thread.
Usually there every summer, partner is Croatian/Bosnian.

Islands are great!
Vis is our favorite as it is, like Korcula, a bit more laid back.
Zadar is another great city to visit.

If you haven’t been to Istria I can highly recommend visiting there as well. Pula is gorgeous, Motovun is definitely worth a day trip, lots of great wine and truffles!

The beer scene is coming along and there are some solid choices, such as Zmajsko or Prvo Viško Pivo, from vis was good, some connection to Nogne Ø.

Re: Makarska
The city itself is, IMO, a nightmare of tourists and just there for the bad clubs. However, there are several nice towns along the coast there that are beautiful!

I also cannot recommend enough going over to Mostar in BiH or even venturing all the way to Sarajevo!

Agreed. Currently in north Dubrovnik again, but away from the crowds and tourist mobs. Much prefer Pula/Rovinj and Zadar overall. Malvazija of course and don't sleep on the Ožujsko elderflower radler in the summer.

Thanks for the reminder to head to the Croatian islands and BiH...need to explore soon! Never enough time.

Dubrovnik is gorgeous and one of those cities you have to visit, like Bruges or Prague, but you visit and get the **** out bc it’s madness and overpriced.

That Radler is great!

Benefit of having family all over (Sarajevo, Tuzla, Zadar, Rijeka...) is we have visited a ton of places. Love it there, love the food, the people, the wine!
Vis also has a wine unique to there Plavac Mali.

Some info I just googled on Vis, think we’ve been to all of these places.
https://www.croatiatraveller.com/central dalmatia/Vis Island.htm

And about Plavac Mali
http://www.rotawine.com/heritage.html

Forgot to update after our trip last summer.

Came down to Istria from Bled. Stayed in Rovinj (gorgeous little city, fantastic food), then down to Premantura for a bunch of days. Goal was to day trip from there to Pula, Montovun, and hit the beaches. Pula, as mentioned is a cool city. Food was ok, just too many people with the World Cup going on to be patient. Had to get to a good game viewing location.
Yes, we were in Croatia for the last 3 games.
Saw one game in Rovinj, one in Pula in the city square, and the last in my wife’s town of Osijek with her family and friends. Wild time.

Montovun was totally worth the effort.

We also visited her friend in Rijeka which is an interesting city. Beautiful but rough in spots.

If anyone needs specifics let me know.
Some good, some great.
Finally found some decent beer. San Servolo. Brewed in Istria.

Back