Cryo Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

Reaction score
So, in the past year or so I’ve had probably about a dozen IPAs that breweries have explicitly labeled as containing cryo hops. Every single one I’ve had has had a smell and taste that I don’t normally get from IPAs – I haven’t come up with the right words to describe it, but it’s like a bit of earthiness mixed with what I imagine a rotten orange would be like mixed with a tiny amount of isovaleric acid. It’s been kind of driving me crazy because I feel like I can’t truly enjoy any cryo hopped beer since I always get this flavor and smell.
  1. Is this a known thing, or do I just have some random over-sensitivity? (I googled but didn’t come up with anybody else whining about this…)
  2. If this is a known thing, are there any theories as to how it comes about or the molecule that is being thrown off? I should mention that a local brewery (Benchmark) made one recently, and so I’ve been able to try it every week since it was released, and that smell/taste was prevalent the first two weeks and completely went away the third week; so ostensibly it’s a molecule that isn’t super stable for whatever reason (maybe just volatility?).

Last edited:
As far as I know I have only tried one IPA made exclusively with cryo hops. It was absolutely dreadful. With that said it was from a brewery that ****s up quite a few beers.

On the other hand I have had a bunch of IPAs with cryo hops and traditional pellets used together that have been very good.

So, in the past year or so I’ve had probably about a dozen IPAs that breweries have explicitly labeled as containing cryo hops. Every single one I’ve had has had a smell and taste that I don’t normally get from IPAs – I haven’t come up with the right words to describe it, but it’s like a bit of earthiness mixed with what I imagine a rotten orange would be like mixed with a tiny amount of isovaleric acid. It’s been kind of driving me crazy because I feel like I can’t truly enjoy any cryo hopped beer since I always get this flavor and smell.
  1. Is this a known thing, or do I just have some random over-sensitivity? (I googled but didn’t come up with anybody else whining about this…)
  2. If this is a known thing, are there any theories as to how it comes about or the molecule that is being thrown off? I should mention that a local brewery (Benchmark) made one recently, and so I’ve been able to try it every week since it was released, and that smell/taste was prevalent the first two weeks and completely went away the third week; so ostensibly it’s a molecule that isn’t super stable for whatever reason (maybe just volatility?).
There are always rotten oranges here under the trees for you to sample! The soil should do for the earthiness component. (You'll have to bring your own isovaleric acid, however.)

Isn't that the exact opposite of what they claim they're supposed to do?

Well it's so new IDK if brewers have figured out the right amounts to use. They say to use half the amount, but I'm not sure if that is really the scale or if they are guessing. My understanding is the cryo/lupulin powder still has bitterness, but I may be wrong.

Well it's so new IDK if brewers have figured out the right amounts to use. They say to use half the amount, but I'm not sure if that is really the scale or if they are guessing. My understanding is the cryo/lupulin powder still has bitterness, but I may be wrong.

The benefit to their claim is it enables brewers to "dose large quantities of hops without introducing astringent flavors or vegetative cone material." You're not wrong about the bitterness, it's just at a lower alpha acid level than pellets with the cone material still in tact.

Anybody here brew anything with these yet?

I have a couple ounces each Simcoe and Citra in my freezer that I'll be using in my next IPA.

I'm thinking I'll use pellets for any boil additions (if any), and use all the cryo in sub-180 whirlpool and dry hop. I assume the "half what you'd normally use" guidance is based on the monster AA levels.

Anybody here brew anything with these yet?

I have a couple ounces each Simcoe and Citra in my freezer that I'll be using in my next IPA.

I'm thinking I'll use pellets for any boil additions (if any), and use all the cryo in sub-180 whirlpool and dry hop. I assume the "half what you'd normally use" guidance is based on the monster AA levels.

Did something similar on my last IPA, but blended pellets and cryo for all whirlpool and DH additions. Turned out great!

I've got my first DIPA using them carbing now, might be ready tonight. I used Cryo Citra along with regular pellet Galaxy in the whirlpool (below isomerization temp), and for both dry hop additions. Used regular pellet Citra for the late boil addition.

I've had a few beers dry-hopped with a mix of cryo and regular pellets. The beers have all been from the same brewery and I know their flavor profiles pretty well. I didn't get any of the unpleasant aromas or flavours I'm reading about here. Interesting. I wonder if what causes the mouldy orange or isovaleric character.

Latest posts

Back