Dark grape sours suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc2

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions on my favorite fruited sours. What are some that have stood out for you?

Appreciation
The Cut: Merlot/Baco Noir
Fox and the Grapes
St.Lamvinus
Grrrz Druiven
Mach-Limit/Supercruise (Black Project wine beers)

I also have Roomarak from Tired Hands though I am not sure how it is, I know dG has a couple as well but I am somewhat iffy on dG fruits. Stuff like Carignan, Bokke, Tilquin Pinot and so on are nice suggestions but I am looking for stuff I can actually get lol.

I prefer St. Lamvinus to Carignan. I haven't tried any of the rest of your list.
I do too actually though I haven't had Carignan with a couple years on it which would probably give it an edge

House of Fermentology is releasing Crushed Dot

[Bottle Release Details]
Crushed Dot Cuvée is a Vermont Wild Ale fermented naturally in French oak with hand crushed Petite Pearl from Shelburne Vineyard and Merlot grapes. A true Vermont beer, Crushed Dot Cuvée is only fermented with the yeast and bacteria naturally present on the grapes. It is beautifully funky, tart, and dry

Nate Saar "bullfrogs head brewer" and I drank a St Lam side by side with grrrz Druiven recently. I preferred the st lam but the grrrz was incredibly close for an American sour.

Don't hate me, but what about Lagunitas' Dark Swan? It's the epitome of beer that you can actually get.

Lagunitas said:
Observers of yestercentury once doubted the existence of the Dark Swan, stating the fair-feathered fowl was the only color of its kind. Explorers eventually upended that theory, shocking the world and shining light on the Dark. This beer might just do the same. It’s a sour ale fermented with dark red wine grapes, giving it its uniquely deep and rich purple hue. Then it received the signature Lagunitas treatment with a healthy dose of experimental dry hops. This might just shock your taste buds!

There just really isn't anything else like the Dark Swan... it's a dark purple hybrid ale the takes our house yeast and feeds it some Petite Sirah grapes to munch on. It's smooth, slightly sour, and superbly strange. Give it a taste, if you dare!

de Garde's The Archer is pretty fantastic, and you've already mentioned Fox And The Grapes, but I love that beer.

Don't hate me, but what about Lagunitas' Dark Swan? It's the epitome of beer that you can actually get.

de Garde's The Archer is pretty fantastic, and you've already mentioned Fox And The Grapes, but I love that beer.
Is this readily available or a yearly release or something? I have seen Lagunitas in gas stations and stuff but never sours

It was originally draft only in late 2016 but it's now available in six-packs. Recent release. It's actually not that bad and could scratch your itch at a low price.
I will keep an eye out next time I am in the states

That sounds....awful.

There ya have it folks.

giphy.gif

This Saturday The Referend Bier Blendery is releasing one too...

Jester King has an entire series of wine grape sours that you should definitely check out. They come out more towards the wintertime (whereas fruited sours come out in summertime). At least I think that's how it works.

Biere de Blanc du Bois
Biere de Syrah
Cervesa de Tempranillo
Biere de Lenoir

Yup, the archer, CDT, etc are some of my American favorites as well

Roomarak was pretty good. Friend had a bottle a couple months ago he really enjoyed.

Back