Darkness Vintages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulianB1

Reaction score
Curious how various vintages of Darkness are drinking, in the opinion those who have had them recently. I'm thinking about acquiring a bottle to include in a tasting of some classic big imperial stouts with a few friends, not sure which one(s) to look for.

I've generally liked vintages of Darkness. I'd probably go for 2009 or 2010 if you want to try one.

I've actually had 2010 before (although it was during one of those massive shares where you sort-of forget the minutia of most beers consumed). Was definitely thinking about that one, or really any others but 2007. Thanks for the recommendation on 2009.

I've actually had 2010 before (although it was during one of those massive shares where you sort-of forget the minutia of most beers consumed). Was definitely thinking about that one, or really any others but 2007. Thanks for the recommendation on 2009.
That's based on having '08 a bit over a year ago and really liking it, so '09 is probably at a similar place now.

I guess I should have made a more general vintage imperial stout thread, but I'm also wondering which vintage(s) of -gulp- Dark Lord I should go for. I've enjoyed 2009 while finding 2012 and 2013 to be ridiculously too sweet. So I'm guessing something in the 07-10 range?

10 or 11 DL is gonna be your best bet. Shouldn't have to give up anything crazy to land either. But I love the sweetness, so might not want to trust me ;)

In general I like Darkness with about 3 years on it. I'm not big on hoppy imperial stouts, so that's about the time I find they fall out in Darkness and leave behind a lot of chocolate and cocoa powder character.

I think DonFrap deuce9259 and the Ohio GB crew can shed some light on this thread.
I personally thought the 11 was the best out of the ones we tried (10-13). 10 was falling of a little for me. Honestly, I think by 12 & 13 they all started to blend together. And in the midst of the bang, I can't say I could pick out any particular characteristics of any beer haha.

Any of you other clowns from Ohio have input. MoxieBrown jdobe13 MRTOLEDO oldschool9 djkubacki

So I'm planning an 08-14 tasting soon and some of my buddies going were wondering if they pooled their resources how they could score a 2007... so if anyone has leads...

Curious how various vintages of Darkness are drinking, in the opinion those who have had them recently. I'm thinking about acquiring a bottle to include in a tasting of some classic big imperial stouts with a few friends, not sure which one(s) to look for.
I love 2012...best year ever. 2008 and 2009 are nice too. 2010 is OK, 2011 kinda sucked.

Back